Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the recession cure rip-off ireland?

Options
  • 14-11-2008 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Even several months into the recession prices of stuff hasn't really gone down. except maybe houses. although a lot of developers would rather leave their houses empty and unsold rather than reduce the price in the hope of better times ahead.

how many years of recession before prices of everyday stuff starts to go down by any significant amount?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I am getting a lot more pizza leaflets in my door these days. & some supermarkets have better deals than normal.

Even a chinese takeaway near me had a €1 off all main meals offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I certainly hope it will cure rip of ireland.

But what has to be tackled, are high street chains charging more for products in the south than in the north.
    There is a culture of rip off in Ireland, businesses know that they can get away with it, people have no choice but to pay the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

The Rip off culture will take a while to die off. The recession would have to last a fair few years for the rip off merchants to change their ways.

You can never win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

The rip off will continue until we start getting "recession buster offers" etc....translation "what the price should be in the first place".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

If it means, getting rid of all those so called convienience stores with a 30% price hike on everything , then I hope so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

When the retailers realise that we're not spending they'll have to drop their prices. Although, there are shops I won't spend my money in.
    To my mind if they can afford to drop their prices this week they could have dropped them last week. I'm fed up of the greed and money grubbing so evident here in the south. I will continue to to spend my money in the north.

By the same measure if Aer Lingus goes ahead with it's 'cost cutting' plans, I'll never fly with them again either.

Riv

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

queen-mise wrote: »
    I certainly hope it will cure rip of ireland.

But what has to be tackled, are high street chains charging more for products in the south than in the north.
    There is a culture of rip off in Ireland, businesses know that they can get away with it, people have no choice but to pay the money.

There will always be some difference due to the differing VAT rates but prices here do need to come down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

It will take a long time before the greed merchants start to reduce their prices. They had it handy for sooooooooooo long with people in celtic tiger Ireland handing over wads of money for poor service and they have gotten to used to creaming it off us. I think some of them would go to the wall before they reduce their prices to normal levels. Government taxes, wage rates and cost of business aside, we are still paying way to much for everything as evidentby the numbers who have given the 2 fingers to businesses here in teh south and are spending their money up north.

The galling thing is:

1. the government asking us to be patriotic and spend our money here. Pity they weren't so forthcoming in their call to patriotism to the businesses when they were ripping us off for years

2. the businesses crying nightly on tv cause we have finally copped on and have stopped paying extortionet prices for everything.

Lidl have my business for as long as they don't succumb to the greed of the other major retailers and for bigger purchases like tvs, well thats why they invented the interweb so I can buy my tv at almost half the price they cost here.

The only downside to this recession is the number of people who will lose their jobs for which I'm sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

andrewh5 wrote: »
    There will always be some difference due to the differing VAT rates but prices here do need to come down.

Just back from Dublin City Centre - had to bring our daughter to a group outing to the panto in the Gaiety. Seemed to be very quite for the time of year - the checkout operators in M&S were twiddling their thumbs

Anyway bought a top in TopMan on Grafton Street - reduced to €27. The ticket price was 28 sterling or €43 now theres a real rip off !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

josh59 wrote: »
    Anyway bought a top in TopMan on Grafton Street - reduced to €27. The ticket price was 28 sterling or €43 now theres a real rip off !!!

but thats the thing, if you ask why the price in € is more expensive they will tell you its because its old stock. If people continue to buy the stuff, they won't reduce the prices.

was in debenhams last weekend and wanted to buy a handbag for mny mum, and got to the till and had the same thing, the euro price was far higher than should have been against the euro, and I left it there....if everyone did this they wud have no choice but to lower them to the "correct" prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

RiverWilde wrote: »
    By the same measure if Aer Lingus goes ahead with it's 'cost cutting' plans, I'll never fly with them again either.

Riv

Stopped travelling with Irish Ferries once they decided to fire 500 workers and re-flag their ships in the Bahamas. Use Stena Line now - at least the majority of their staff are from Ireland and the UK:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

cute_cow wrote: »
    but thats the thing, if you ask why the price in € is more expensive they will tell you its because its old stock. If people continue to buy the stuff, they won't reduce the prices.

was in debenhams last weekend and wanted to buy a handbag for mny mum, and got to the till and had the same thing, the euro price was far higher than should have been against the euro, and I left it there....if everyone did this they wud have no choice but to lower them to the "correct" prices.
    they will just remove the sterling price tags and rise the price to pay the wage of the employee they have cutting the tags off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

josh59 wrote: »
    Stopped travelling with Irish Ferries once they decided to fire 500 workers and re-flag their ships in the Bahamas. Use Stena Line now - at least the majority of their staff are from Ireland and the UK:mad:

Me too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I don't think a recession can cure stupid people. As long as stupid people exist shops etc will charge what people will pay.

Advertisement