Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Tom new UK & IRL map released today

Options
  • 14-11-2008 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

Got v815.2024 via map update ( through tt home) this eve.
    Running it in a tomtom onev3 ( tesco one from bargain alerts! );)

Map updates include:

New N6 section from Athlone to ...Kinnegad ( aka moate bypass )
    Charlestown ( mayo ) Bypass ..new section from Ballaghadereen going west towards Swinford.

and maybe more im not yet aware of.

Pity they cant include townland names !!

if you want me to check locations, addresses etc, let me know !
    i will try to post screenshots when i figure out how ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Updated my TT Go last night to the new version as well. Other additions to the above that I've noticed include the outer ring road appears to be complete (with a couple of mistakes - e.g. some roundabouts at the Lucan end should have been replaced with traffic lights) and the N4/M50 Junction appears to have been updated to the new/current one. Redcow is still there as a roundabout but the layouts have been changing so often there recently that it's probably not worth trying to keep track with it.

New N6 was in the previous maps version and - as with the previous version - it's still labelled as the N6 rather than as the M6 so presumably speed limits are set wrong for it.

Anyone else use map update much ? I tend to update/fix/add missing POIs around my area whenever I get a new map version but it's getting annoying that those updates are map specific so whenever you get a new set of maps you've to start again. I know I could use third party POIs (and I do a bit) but I prefer the idea of updating the main TT POI db and everyone being able to make use of those corrections.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 stephenc1979

I downloaded V7.10 back in January, and the mapping was absolutely dreadful, as far as I know it was a direct copy from googlemaps (data provided by teleatlas) has this been changed now or is there still roads in the country that are at mad angles and leave you driving across fields.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cliffcake

I'm considering getting a GPS for the car and I prefer the features of the TomTom units over Garmin. However, as mapping is crucial, I am worried about deficiencies in the Teleatlas maps for Ireland that TomTom uses. Can anyone shed light on this for current maps?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Have a look at Google maps - it's exactly the same data. It's mostly right, but there's a few glaring errors, especially in road numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭TomTom Ireland

Hi All,

I represent TomTom in Ireland and would be keen to get feedback in relation to mapping, POI, user experience detail etc. Please post any map issues you may have with mapping also so that I can work to resolve these.

Just to point out also, we have an additional 20k new POI locations due to be uploaded to TomTom Home in the near future - will keep you posted on when etc.

Thanks and look forward to comments... good & bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Hi All,

I represent TomTom in Ireland and would be keen to get feedback in relation to mapping, POI, user experience detail etc. Please post any map issues you may have with mapping also so that I can work to resolve these.

Just to point out also, we have an additional 20k new POI locations due to be uploaded to TomTom Home in the near future - will keep you posted on when etc.

Best to get yourself made known to the MODs and verified FYI

Best to get yourself made known to the MODs and verified FYI

Cheers... I did already, sent a PM to the MOD here and also cleared it in the Help area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Well TomTom Ireland, you might explain to me how the One V3 UK/Ireland I bought last week told me that I had the latest map when I used the "latest map guaranteed" function, then promptly told me thereafter that my map was 4 quarters old and would I like to buy a new one for 50 euro or something like that.

I also got a one V3 Europe for my own car, but that one updated to the latest map with no issues which made the issue with the UK/Ireland unit all the more dissappointing particularly as the V3 UK/Ireland map does not have the new Waterford link road on it (despite the road itself predating the maps on the unit by more than a year. 2 years in some parts) - again, its all fine on the Europe version.

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Well TomTom Ireland, you might explain to me how the One V3 UK/Ireland I bought last week told me that I had the latest map when I used the "latest map guaranteed" function, then promptly told me thereafter that my map was 4 quarters old and would I like to buy a new one for 50 euro or something like that.

I also got a one V3 Europe for my own car, but that one updated to the latest map with no issues which made the issue with the UK/Ireland unit all the more dissappointing particularly as the V3 UK/Ireland map does not have the new Waterford link road on it (despite the road itself predating the maps on the unit by more than a year. 2 years in some parts) - again, its all fine on the Europe version.

Strange, latest map guarantee should be just that, but as with any technology issues can arise. Did you try calling the helpline?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Bards

I bought a Tom Tom One V2 with Navteq Maps, I upgraded the maps a couple of months ago (Provided by Teleatlas) and had to switch back to Navteq maps as the teleatlas ones are so bad.

Not everyone wants to drive in cities, considering Tom Tom own Teleleatlas they should put pressure on them to have at least as good maps for Ireland as Navteq.

If this is not possible, Can Tom Tom license Navteq maps for Ireland until Teleatlas maps are up to scratch?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Did you try calling the helpline?

I think you may find yourself becoming the helpline !;)

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Hi All,

1. No Townlands listed
    2. No option to add a townland name
    3. Ferocious spelling of some place names ( esp via mapshare )
    4. Junction 6 on moate bypass ( at clara exit ) is SO incorrect
    5. mapping keeps " drifting " when near an area thats incorrectly mapped ( despite the fact ive d/loaded and installed GPSfix numerous times! )
    6. New Mapupdate feature does NOT inform potential buyer of the details of the changes within the update. I would like to know what changes are in the updated map BEFORE i buy it!!

thats all for now....and welcome aBOARD !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

eirlink wrote: »
    1. No Townlands listed
    2. No option to add a townland name
    3. Ferocious spelling of some place names ( esp via mapshare )
    4. Junction 6 on moate bypass ( at clara exit ) is SO incorrect
    5. mapping keeps " drifting " when near an area thats incorrectly mapped ( despite the fact ive d/loaded and installed GPSfix numerous times! )
    6. New Mapupdate feature does NOT inform potential buyer of the details of the changes within the update. I would like to know what changes are in the updated map BEFORE i buy it!!

thats all for now....and welcome aBOARD !

well im in the market for a new sat nav after my Airis i had and used on a daily basis for just over 2 years is almost on its way out. from what ive read here i wont be buying a tom tom, ive only come across a couple of country roads that arnt on the Airis and i travel the country daily. it seems to have more up to date mapping than the tom tom :(

pm. wrote: »
    well im in the market for a new sat nav after my Airis i had and used on a daily basis for just over 2 years is almost on its way out. from what ive read here i wont be buying a tom tom, ive only come across a couple of country roads that arnt on the Airis and i travel the country daily. it seems to have more up to date mapping than the tom tom :(

indeed....i have the airis with me and its on daily. its running old maps but its amazing how accurate it is compared to TT.
    The 920 was a brilliant unit ( still is in ways). Even compared to the later Route 66 software, the version on the 920 was IMO much better. nobody in the industry knows why R66 chose new software.

If i could update the navteq mapping on the airis i would never consider anything else.

BTW
    i wonder can this be done?? the latest navteq maps ( q2 2008 ) wont run on the 920. on the 920 they have a *.prm extension. I wonder can the q2 2008 file be converted so it can be "read" by the 920.... anyone??

pm...sorry to hear your unit is on the way out. I got mine around the same time. Whats it complaining of?

Hi All,

Just logged in brifely... thanks for the comments. I will answer either later today or over the weekend.

i

pm...sorry to hear your unit is on the way out. I got mine around the same time. Whats it complaining of?

Hi Eirlink good to speak with you again, tbh its the charger that lets me down i have to hold it with my hand while charging the unit :( i had a look at mysatnav and they dont sell it anymore. my m8 also has the 920 and his charger works fine on my unit.

Hi Eirlink good to speak with you again, tbh its the charger that lets me down i have to hold it with my hand while charging the unit :( i had a look at mysatnav and they dont sell it anymore. my m8 also has the 920 and his charger works fine on my unit.

just seen this now (his charger works fine on my unit) so it is your charging lead...head to halfords in longford and get yourself a new lead...they are 12 euro!!

just seen this now (his charger works fine on my unit) so it is your charging lead...head to halfords in longford and get yourself a new lead...they are 12 euro!!

Really ? will be there tomorrow thanks

Really ? will be there tomorrow thanks

hint
    the bubble pack it comes in is pressed , so you can open it! try it outside and go back in if it dosent work ....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 paulm1

Townlands big thing for me or new postcode system (Garmin use them irishpostcodes.ie). Also just bought 730 updated to latest map last week but is not recognising this latest update. I have 815.2003. Anyone who has 815.2024 can they check if new section of Kilkenny ring road is on it from Castlecomber road around to old Carlow / Dublin roundabout. Thanks guys.

• Advertisement

paulm1 wrote: »
    Townlands big thing for me or new postcode system (Garmin use them irishpostcodes.ie). Also just bought 730 updated to latest map last week but is not recognising this latest update. I have 815.2003. Anyone who has 815.2024 can they check if new section of Kilkenny ring road is on it from Castlecomber road around to old Carlow / Dublin roundabout. Thanks guys.

checked , but not familiar with the area.

the castlecomer road joins the dublin road just past the hebron rd roundabout...any help?
    if you show me the area on google maps then i can zoom in much closer for you and then i will post up a screenshot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 GreenLand

Got v815.2024 via map update ( through tt home) this eve.
    Running it in a tomtom onev3 ( tesco one from bargain alerts! );)

Map updates include:

New N6 section from Athlone to ...Kinnegad ( aka moate bypass )
    Charlestown ( mayo ) Bypass ..new section from Ballaghadereen going west towards Swinford.

and maybe more im not yet aware of.

Pity they cant include townland names !!

if you want me to check locations, addresses etc, let me know !
    i will try to post screenshots when i figure out how ?

hi eirlink, can u find place called waterside on swords road and mountfield on seamount road in malahide? these addresses are not in the new Garmin europe 2009 map, hope tomtom covers them!

theres a waterside crescent off limetree ave...checking other one now

TomTomHOME-2.jpg

GreenLand wrote: »
    hi eirlink, can u find place called waterside on swords road and mountfield on seamount road in malahide? these addresses are not in the new Garmin europe 2009 map, hope tomtom covers them!

TomTomHOME-1.jpg

where in this vicinity should mountfield be?
    no sign of mountfield on seamount road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭kindalen

got an €80 tomtom in tesco,are there any free updates when you go to tomtom website?

Townlands big thing for me or new postcode system (Garmin use them irishpostcodes.ie).

Is it just me or why would anyone go to the bother of supporting an unofficial postcode system ? Yes it may be better than nothing but there's also a good chance that it'll be very different to whatever the final system the dept recommends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 GreenLand

here is the mountfield

Mountfield.jpg
    here is waterside
    waterside.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 paulm1

With the new postcode system every location in the country can be identified to a 3m area. Garmin have taken this on board because private companies like for instance oil delivery companies, waste collection companies etc and very soon the likes of ESB and Bord Gais can identify new and existing customers, upload the info and location into a GIS and suddenly customer service issues and routing for deliveries or collections is made much easier. Its a fairly basic algorithm and could be incorporated into Tomtom very easily. On the Kilkenny ring road location map below. Road is on satellite imagery (highlighted with red arrows) and is open quite a while

Thanks.

heres an example of the poor spelling..Tomtom this is bad.

TomTomHOME-1-1.jpg

nothing south of malahide road im afraid
    TomTomHOME-2-1.jpg

New road is not there
    TomTomHOME-3.jpg

I hope tomtomireland takes this valuable feedback when he logs back in.....

• Advertisement

With the new postcode system every location in the country can be identified to a 3m area. Garmin have taken this on board because private companies like for instance oil delivery companies, waste collection companies etc and very soon the likes of ESB and Bord Gais can identify new and existing customers, upload the info and location into a GIS and suddenly customer service issues and routing for deliveries or collections is made much easier. Its a fairly basic algorithm and could be incorporated into Tomtom very easily.

I completely agree with the idea of postcodes for Ireland and the benefits of it. My issue is that the system on irishpostcodes.ie is - afaik - just a proposal - it may or may not be the final system adapted for the country. And therefore for anyone to invest money in developing and adapting systems to support it is potential wasted money as they may not get to see a return on their investment. Also putting one proposed system into common usage over any other proposed system potentially unfairly favors that system.

I've no idea who has submitted proposed solutions for a postcode system nor do I know the advantages and disadvantages of any one system over the others. But I do just wish the dept of communications would get on with making a decision on this so everyone can go ahead with supporting one system and we all get to see the benefits of it.

Anyway - that's enough with sidetracking this thread.

Advertisement