Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Tom new UK & IRL map released today

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

nickhx wrote: »
    More proof that Teleatlas are adding to their maps from drawings rather than from driving on the roads... :rolleyes:

All you have to do to prove that is drive on R roads, outside the cities. All the roads are there, but they are up to 400m off where they actually are. When is TomTom going to fix this? TomTom own Teleatlas now, so the blame firmly lies with TomTom now.

At least Navteq drove the roads... It might take a couple of months for new roads to appear on Navteq maps, but you can be guaranteed that they will be 100% correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

nickhx wrote: »
    Just checked out the latest Teleatlas map today (2008.10) and was astonished to see the Monkstown Ring Road already added, even though it is no where near built yet!!!

More proof that Teleatlas are adding to their maps from drawings rather than from driving on the roads... :rolleyes:

Totally agree ...... Roosky bypass is a classic example. On the original drawings submitted to the NRA there were no roundabouts shown ... subsequently NRA at time of construction and for safety reasons added them in, about 4 of them. Guess what appears on Tomtom / Teleatlas / Google Maps.

You wouldn't mind if they were somehow tagged for checking on Teleatlas' database and revised later but they are not, and advising Tomtom through mapshare seem to go nowhere. PLus there are numerous online facilities with aerial photos (not satellite images) where they can be checked. I once recall advising Navteq about a no right turn that had been added on a road in Dublin. Told them through a link on www.pocketgpsworld.com and within 2 weeks got a reply indicating that change had been checked on the ground and verified and the change would be made in the next update.

Now I use Teleatlas and Navteq products depending on where I am going and with GPS Units I really like the Tomtom. Its not a huge jump for them for Ireland ........ roads in the UK and Europe are definetly driven as they look more realistic and correct on the ground when driving. Sure just between the lot of us on this forum we could correct about 50% of the Tomtom map errors ...... and wouldn't cost them anything !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

testicle wrote: »
    All you have to do to prove that is drive on R roads, outside the cities. All the roads are there, but they are up to 400m off where they actually are. When is TomTom going to fix this?
    I was onto them about that before.
    Thats another problem they deny exists. Another problem they said would be sorted by defaulting my device. They don't have on decent support rep, they are all just robots.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

testicle wrote: »
    All you have to do to prove that is drive on R roads, outside the cities. All the roads are there, but they are up to 400m off where they actually are. When is TomTom going to fix this? TomTom own Teleatlas now, so the blame firmly lies with TomTom now.

At least Navteq drove the roads... It might take a couple of months for new roads to appear on Navteq maps, but you can be guaranteed that they will be 100% correct.

exactly true
    i have driven with latest TA and latest NQ mapping side by side and found that the TA mapping is 400 meters off , in some cases, and accurate in others. While NQ is spot on every time.

Seems TA are trying to get ahead of NQ re map detail, pity they cant get it right ! they are lacking in accuracy...which is what SatNav is all about really

pmsurveys wrote: »

Now I use Teleatlas and Navteq products depending on where I am going and with GPS Units I really like the Tomtom. Its not a huge jump for them for Ireland ........ roads in the UK and Europe are definetly driven as they look more realistic and correct on the ground when driving. Sure just between the lot of us on this forum we could correct about 50% of the Tomtom map errors ...... and wouldn't cost them anything !

i use both as well, and i find this the best. What one is missing, the other has.

BTW
    i have already canvassed TT ireland to provide some of this forum members with " test" units ( ie hardware) with their latest mapping. im sure if they did provide us with these ( foc , of course) we could help them out by reporting the errors as we come across them. I would suggest they give us test account logins to mapshare, thereby any errors reported through this login is given priority verification.

was told it was a very good idea....but still waiting?
    i gave up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Excellant idea!!
    But then again for them to implement that they would have to cencede there are errors.
    Something I have never managed to get them to do.

koolkid wrote: »
    Excellant idea!!
    But then again for them to implement that they would have to cencede there are errors.
    Something I have never managed to get them to do.

they know too well there are errors, thats the business rule that mapshare is based on. it just needs to be managed properly at their end.
    plus my idea of authorised test logins would put them in a great position to corrrect their maps.

who best to flag errors than drivers. at the moment they rely on those comiling the maps !

i remember a NQ "Beta tester " prog a few years ago. and look how accurate they are. anyway seems im getting nowhere as well....excuse the pun:D

Latest reply from TomTom

To allow me to investigate your query further, can you please provide me with your System Information?

Please make sure that your TomTom is connected and you are logged in when accessing the System Information.

This can be found by connecting your device to TomTom HOME and selecting Help > Configuration info ( HOME version 1) or Help >System information (HOME version 2).

Please 'left click' on the 'Copy to Clipboard' button. Now you can 'Right Click' > 'Paste' this information in the text box where you update your questions. (Please see the end of this email on how to do this)

Once I have this information, I will be able to have an in depth look at your TomTom and resolve the query more effectively.

Still convinced this fault is unique to me by the look of it....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I bought my TomTom last year - do we not get Free upgrades to maps? I was asked to pay 20sh euro when I looked into it the other day.

We get free mapshare but you have to pay for upgrades AFAIK

Its one of these upgrade thats causing all this hassle

• Advertisement

Latest Reply from TomTom..

Thank you for your patience whilst we investigated this issue on your behalf.

Upon speaking to our technical department, they have confirmed If they were not preinstalled POI's, they are 3rd party files. We do not support or troubleshoot 3rd party files, even if the challenge started after a map update.

If the localization of the POI's is not fixed, we can't suggest anything else other than removing those POI's.

If you have any further questions or queries, please let us know and we are happy to assist you further.

Are these guys serious.??
    The POIs arrived with a Map Upgrade , which I paid for I might add.
    How they can say they do not support something they sell?
    If TomTom Ireland is still around here perhaps he could shed some light on this..
    I am baffled!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Just reply to them and tell them the poi's came as part of the offical TomTom map upgrade.

Just check to be sure you didn't inadvertently click on the "include 'completely unsupported' 3rd party POIs"

Have told them that from the start...
    Regardless of mapshare setting these all arrived with new map.
    Anyway there are thousands upon thousands of these according to TomTom home there are only 4000 odd mapshare correstions in use.
    I'll keep yis posted....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭TomTom Ireland

Sorry for my lack of presence again lately...

Ok, first of all, I need to speak with customer services again it seems in relation to what they are saying about the POI's and issues reported. They are obviously not third party and that should not have been suggested.

We are currently looking into a fix for the POI issue and I'll let you all know as soon as I have an update, this should be within the next couple of weeks at most.

Beta testing - please send me a PM if you are interested with your name and email address and I'll arrange an application/terms email to be sent to you. I 100% agree, the best way to test the new maps is from people around the country who are driving these roads.

I have just got the 2009.02 release to test myself - literally got this today so not yet had the pleasure of checking its developments but I should get a good drive in over the weekend.

Thanks for your input Tom Tom Ireland. Why can't the CS Staff be as understanding?

Todays suggestion from customer support on how to solve this issue.......................
    Wait for it...........................................
    Delete all the POIs................
    one by one...........
    Yes one by one heres how...

Thanks for your email update of 16th April 2009.

To Delete a POI from your device, please do the following:-

- Tap onto 'Change Preferences -> Manage POI -> Delete POI -> POI Near you', select the POI you wish to delete from your device.

If you have any further questions or queries, please let me know and I am happy to assist you further.

With Kind Regards,

Again I state I am not expecting a quick fix for this. I know one is on the way & I know Tom Tom Ireland here has stated there is errors with the POI file.
    But why cant CS acknowledge this & say a fix is on the way???
    This is an insult to the customers intelligence..

• Registered Users Posts: 10 scamp

Hi all,
    Bit rubbish I know, signed up to boards 5 years ago and its my first post... :rolleyes: Had a great read of this thread there yesterday though! Just got myself the TT Rider V2 last week, basically its the GO (i think) all weather proofed. Anyways, took it for a spin on the bike (after getting the free map updates downloaded) from where I live in the hills over Greystones down to the junction to the N11 by the Glenview Hotel with a plan to head south. It tried to send me down an on ramp that doesn't exist! On closer inspection, it turns out the whole junction is non existent... the fly over is there but it there is nothing on the far side according to the maps... and its been there for over 6 years!

Got home, and then started checking for lots of other 'major' N11 junctions around like one back at Kilmacanogue (again there for at least 6 years) and there is nothing in the maps, updates or otherwise.... I would hate to be a tourist wanting to get to Glendalough... you would be rightly knobbed. I know, I know! Its 'only a guide' and you should be using common sence and road signs but you would think that TA would have this well established junctions in... and thats only two of many I found with problems.

I suppose my question revolves around TA's map error update service. I have logged about 10 road and junction inaccuracies to their site. I just want to know has anyone else been doing this, how long does it take to get these changes through and do you ever receive a response from them acknowledging the 'helpful' prompts in the right direction?? I seriously hope I have not put my money on the wrong horse and gone for TT over Garmin... just hope with all this being highlighted, TTI will push to get the issues sorted. I spend most of my week in the sticks with work and the townlands issues is a major one as any address I search for (mainly rural) is a townland with no street name. My townland isn't listed on the Rider V2 but I do remember it being on my folks old TT One a few years ago... Progress?

Hope I can be more help now I have popped my posting cherry :P

Todays response from Tom Tom

I can confirm that I have double checked this with my technical department and they have confirmed that the following files in your map folder are not tomtom POI's:

Aldi, Ambasady, Amber, Bank of Ireland, ,Dunking'_Donoughts..., Starbuks etc. This means that they are third party POI's and were not included in the map update.

Unfortunately we cannot support third party poi's.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience that this may cause.

If you have any further questions or queries, please let me know and I am happy to assist you further.

First off those POIs are actually the ones that are right..
    Secondly They are downloadable from TomTom under the Heading Recommended Items???
    Honestly this really is Customer Support at its worst.

I am flabbergasted..... Still they dont believe me!!!
    Latest response.

Please do the following:

- Connect the device to TomTom home and go to Tools> TT Mapshare> Remove corrections> tick both options and remove.
    - In tom tom home go to items on my device> delete the POI's.

If this does not resolve you issue, please let me know and we can investigate this issue further for you.

With Kind Regards,

To prove my point I have done the above & guess what the errors are still there.....
    Amazing!!!!!!

I really do hope TTI is trying to get somewhere with the people that count, in fariness to him he is getting some answers ..... pity hes not on here more often though.

• Advertisement

He has put a lot of time & effort into this. I can't fault him, but those in customer support are a joke. They just won't listen.

And yet another automated response....

I am sorry to hear that the previous email solution has not worked for you.

I cannot offer you an immediate suitable solution for this challenge. I have sent your question to our 2nd line technical department.

I hope to have an answer for you as soon as possible, please bear with us while we find a solution for your query.

Honestly why dont they just listen..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

And yet another automated response....

I am sorry to hear that the previous email solution has not worked for you.

I cannot offer you an immediate suitable solution for this challenge. I have sent your question to our 2nd line technical department.

I hope to have an answer for you as soon as possible, please bear with us while we find a solution for your query.

Honestly why dont they just listen..

They are. It's been escalated. Relax kid.

[taking deep breaths] lol
    But only after me doing everything twice . The only thing they have identified in all this time was that it wasn't my fault & it wasn't mapshare errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭mossie

I've had this response in the past a few times and never got a response from "2nd line technical department". Tomtom "support" is non existent. The only responses I ever got is basically to say "we are right, you are wrong". I can honestly say I never got a helpful reply from TT so don't hold your breath. If they have decided that you caused the problem, or there is no problem they won't change easily.

I am not going to let it go either.
    This is a map upgrade that I paid for & for them to deny the problems & to blame me is insulting. To tell you they are not supporting POIs that come with their maps is also discraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Totally agree ...... Roosky bypass is a classic example. On the original drawings submitted to the NRA there were no roundabouts shown ... subsequently NRA at time of construction and for safety reasons added them in, about 4 of them. Guess what appears on Tomtom / Teleatlas / Google Maps.

You wouldn't mind if they were somehow tagged for checking on Teleatlas' database and revised later but they are not, and advising Tomtom through mapshare seem to go nowhere. PLus there are numerous online facilities with aerial photos (not satellite images) where they can be checked. I once recall advising Navteq about a no right turn that had been added on a road in Dublin. Told them through a link on www.pocketgpsworld.com and within 2 weeks got a reply indicating that change had been checked on the ground and verified and the change would be made in the next update.

I hope this doesn't come across as ignorance on my part, but are you talking about the rooske by- pass on the N-4? Was down that direction on the 10th of the month, and all the round-abouts were on my tt730, with the newest version of mapping.

Do totally agree with everybody regarding accuracy though. Have noticed a number of discrepancies over the past week or so, but imho, they've not been anything too major.

Yes, they're annoying, seen as Garmin have driven all of the roads on their mapping. But I don't think it's a life or death thing. But, the townland issue is exactly that. An issue, as everyone is aware.

And, I chose the tt730 after having read all of the posts on this thread. So, thanks all.

I hope this doesn't come across as ignorance on my part, but are you talking about the rooske by- pass on the N-4? Was down that direction on the 10th of the month, and all the round-abouts were on my tt730, with the newest version of mapping.

Do totally agree with everybody regarding accuracy though. Have noticed a number of discrepancies over the past week or so, but imho, they've not been anything too major.

Yes, they're annoying, seen as Garmin have driven all of the roads on their mapping. But I don't think it's a life or death thing. But, the townland issue is exactly that. An issue, as everyone is aware.

And, I chose the tt730 after having read all of the posts on this thread. So, thanks all.

Yeah was on about the N4 ....... havent downloaded the latest update yet. Did you manage to notice if the alignment was correct as it was a bit off as well. Must download the latest version and check. Thanks for the heads up. I did report that error about 4 months ago but honestly thought they were not doing anything about us Irish .......... Maybe just maybe things are looking up !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 isu_danny

Beta testing - please send me a PM if you are interested with your name and email address and I'll arrange an application/terms email to be sent to you. I 100% agree, the best way to test the new maps is from people around the country who are driving these roads.

Hi TomTom.

I will be visiting Ireland on May 1st for 9 days. I would be happy to beta test your application. Being new to this board, I cannot PM you, so please email me at danny_in_boise@ymail.com or maybe you can PM me.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.
    Danny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Yeah was on about the N4 ....... havent downloaded the latest update yet. Did you manage to notice if the alignment was correct as it was a bit off as well. Must download the latest version and check. Thanks for the heads up. I did report that error about 4 months ago but honestly thought they were not doing anything about us Irish .......... Maybe just maybe things are looking up !!

No bother man. Yeah, the alignment seemed to be fairly spot on as well. Only problem I really noticed on that trip was that I was heading to Drumshanbo, and it thought the flyover at Drumsna was laid out somewhat differently, and that I could turn right after it, which I couldn't. Other than that, after about 2500km of driving since getting it on the 8th of April, and downloading latest map version, it's been fairly spot on. O.K., as I've said there's been the odd inaccuracy, and the odd bit of road missing, or junction laid out wrong, but over all quite impressed. The townland thing is a pain in the ass though!

Advertisement