Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Tom new UK & IRL map released today

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Hsve you driven off the beaten track?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

testicle wrote: »
    Hsve you driven off the beaten track?

I work as a sales rep, and my area takes in Monaghan, Louth, Dublin, Kildare and Laois, so yeah, definately been off the beaten track with it!!! An issue I've noticed would be, sometimes the mapping will try and direct you down somebodys' driveway, or that sometimes a farm track. It seems as though these come up as public roads on teleatlas' mapping.

Accuracy/ alignment of roads has been pretty good. I've only noticed one alignment issue, (can't remember the road number) since I've been using it, and a few roads missing that I would have expected to have been on it. Altough I'm sure I'll find more as I go along!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

This section of the road in the link here is pretty bad.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=R430&daddr=52.892231,-7.176991&hl=en&geocode=FcifJgMdHIiT_w%3B&mra=mi&mrsp=1,0&sz=14&sll=52.881873,-7.146177&sspn=0.039157,0.111237&ie=UTF8&ll=52.876279,-7.136393&spn=0.039162,0.111237&t=h&z=14

You can see the correct positioning of the road in the satellite image, and is over 400m off the TeleAtlas road in sections. Also, as you head from the Swan towards Abbeyleix, at the R430 / R426 junction, if you are travelling on the R430, continuing on it, you will be told to turn. It's a bend!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

No bother man. Yeah, the alignment seemed to be fairly spot on as well. Only problem I really noticed on that trip was that I was heading to Drumshanbo, and it thought the flyover at Drumsna was laid out somewhat differently, and that I could turn right after it, which I couldn't. Other than that, after about 2500km of driving since getting it on the 8th of April, and downloading latest map version, it's been fairly spot on. O.K., as I've said there's been the odd inaccuracy, and the odd bit of road missing, or junction laid out wrong, but over all quite impressed. The townland thing is a pain in the ass though!

Chuck

Can you check that Roosky bypass on your unit. I have just checked the tomtom route planner on their website and it still does not show the roundabouts just crossroads. I have the same problem at Drumsna ..... if you look closely there is no flyover shown at all and no slip road ... the mapping assumes its just a plain old cross roads. In saying all this I'm assuming that the route planner on their website shows the latest mapping !

testicle wrote: »
    This section of the road in the link here is pretty bad.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=R430&daddr=52.892231,-7.176991&hl=en&geocode=FcifJgMdHIiT_w%3B&mra=mi&mrsp=1,0&sz=14&sll=52.881873,-7.146177&sspn=0.039157,0.111237&ie=UTF8&ll=52.876279,-7.136393&spn=0.039162,0.111237&t=h&z=14

You can see the correct positioning of the road in the satellite image, and is over 400m off the TeleAtlas road in sections. Also, as you head from the Swan towards Abbeyleix, at the R430 / R426 junction, if you are travelling on the R430, continuing on it, you will be told to turn. It's a bend!

I agree with you there about the road being a bend, but the unit telling you to make a turn be it left or right. Therein lies the problem of teleatlas not actually driving the roads!

But, from what I've seen, the accuracy/ alignment has been pretty good. I will freely admit that I've not driven in every county of the country, but I haven't noticed the old problem of teleatlas concentrating their efforts solely on urban areas.

• Advertisement

pmsurveys wrote: »
    Chuck

Can you check that Roosky bypass on your unit. I have just checked the tomtom route planner on their website and it still does not show the roundabouts just crossroads. I have the same problem at Drumsna ..... if you look closely there is no flyover shown at all and no slip road ... the mapping assumes its just a plain old cross roads. In saying all this I'm assuming that the route planner on their website shows the latest mapping !

Just checked it again there now to make sure that I wasn't seeing things, but yeah, the by- pass is shown on the unit. I'll have a look on the route- planner later and see what the story is there.

Just had a look on route planner, and to me it show's the by pass, but it doesn't show the roundabouts. So I think the old adage remains true, (regarding you assuming it had the latest maps)...assumption is the mother of all ****- ups!

Just had a look on route planner, and to me it show's the by pass, but it doesn't show the roundabouts. So I think the old adage remains true, (regarding you assuming it had the latest maps)...assumption is the mother of all ****- ups!

Thanks

pmsurveys wrote: »
    Thanks

No worries man. I just hope you don't think I was being a smart- arse with my last post, because I wasn't trying to be.

No worries man. I just hope you don't think I was being a smart- arse with my last post, because I wasn't trying to be.

No no not at all Chuck. I downloaded the latest map myself the other evening and wait for this ............. About 4 months ago I posted about 7 errors through the mapshare corrections facility and to my absolute amazement at least 3 of them are corrected on the latest release. The other 4 I will check very soon. The 3 I reported were

1. A short stretch of road about 3 miles from where I live which was shown as a straight section but in reality has a really bad "S" bend through it. On the notes I submitted through mapshare I said it really bugged me as I have to drive it every day and the unit always re-calculated because I went off road. Not that it really mattered that much but hey presto its now spot on.

2. Kinnegad exit on M4 including slip roads, roundabouts for Edenderry and road into Kinnegad from the exit was all over the place. Now perfect.

3. M6 exit at Rochefordbridge was totally wrong and alignment of M6 for a couple of km was also off. Now fixed in latest release.

I might have though that numbers 2 & 3 probably would have been picked up as errors at some stage because they are prominent locations but number 1 it has to be from my report. No-one else would have bothered to report that one as its in the middle of no-where. This does indicate that some process somewhere must have worked and from now on I ma going to record and report as many errors as I can.

Anyone else ever report unusual stuff that has been fixed ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I have reported loads. I have reported the same ones over & over. Never seen any changes to the though.
    I am reporting the realignment of Greenhills Road & main street in Tallaght for the past 2 years. Its still wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Damien360

My sincere apologies for highjacking this but having read many of the posts in this thread, I still cannot come to a conclusion on the quality of tomtom maps in general. I always liked the tomtom interface but poor mapping kept me away. I hate the garmin interface (used the nuvi250). Ignoring questions like what is your budget, are the tomtom maps up to standard for city use in particular (dublin, belfast, limericl, cork....I get lost in all of these), open road is fine as I can read signposts ! Any versions I should avoid ? Hoping to look in Harvey Normans with their 15% discount tommorrow and it will be a tomtom if maps are decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Damien360 wrote: »
    My sincere apologies for highjacking this but having read many of the posts in this thread, I still cannot come to a conclusion on the quality of tomtom maps in general. I always liked the tomtom interface but poor mapping kept me away. I hate the garmin interface (used the nuvi250). Ignoring questions like what is your budget, are the tomtom maps up to standard for city use in particular (dublin, belfast, limericl, cork....I get lost in all of these), open road is fine as I can read signposts ! Any versions I should avoid ? Hoping to look in Harvey Normans with their 15% discount tommorrow and it will be a tomtom if maps are decent.

Before you go shopping, go online and check the latest versions of BOTH the user interface AND the Maps.
    Then hit harvey and check the "about" or " help " screen on each device. i will guarantee you that each unit for sale, has a different version of the GUI, plus old map versions!

if you want to purchase a satnav, buy it online. Harvey does not sell enough to ensure re-order levels accrue latest firmware/mapping.

eirlink wrote: »
    Before you go shopping, go online and check the latest versions of BOTH the user interface AND the Maps.
    Then hit harvey and check the "about" or " help " screen on each device. i will guarantee you that each unit for sale, has a different version of the GUI, plus old map versions!

if you want to purchase a satnav, buy it online. Harvey does not sell enough to ensure re-order levels accrue latest firmware/mapping.

Should have looked here yesterday ! I know its re-certified but hell the price. I've bought from here a few times but you need to check every day as the offers are only for one day. By the way price yesterday was €69 plus delivery

http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/product_list.php

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Damien360

eirlink wrote: »
    no matter what unit you buy, you will never have the latest maps, unless you download them, at a cost.....no map updates are free.

at the moment, teleatlas have more detail in areas, whereas Navteq have more detail in others.

The Satnav business is based on recurring revenue, as a business model. In persuing this model, NQ go ahead, then TA catch up, and then the cycle starts again. To feed this model, the map providers ( TA & NQ) provide their LATEST Maps to the hardware producers.

The Garmins, TomToms, Navigons etc of this world HAVE THE LATEST MAPS, but they normally choose to ship these WHEN they release a new model. In between new models, they take the update route......there-by maximising revenue.

So in conclusion, you need to make a decision , when buying a satnav. do you go for detail, or accuracy. Presently, TA have more detail, yet NQ are more accurate.
    My opinion, for whats its worth, and i know the business, is to go with Navteq. they have always led the market, and will do. No disrespect to TA, but they are in a catch-up. This, again IMO, is their achilees heel, cause they are employing in-accurate methods to attain mapping. EG, Mapshare, Google, Satellite imaging etc......

My choice is accuracy, plus accurate updates, so its any hardware that runs NQ.

PS
    I much prefer, to buy a new satnav , every 3 years, than buy updates as and when they are released. You will, if you do a costing, end up with the latest maps, and newer GUI, cheaper! FACT

i rest my case

Eirlink,

Thanks for the info. Answers my question and any further ones all together. I have been looking online also but you get very little feel for the unit. I spotted the ibood deal unit but it was 3 years old and even though the price was nice, I decided against it. More research required. Thanks and apologies for the highjack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

koolkid wrote: »
    I have reported loads. I have reported the same ones over & over. Never seen any changes to the though.
    I am reporting the realignment of Greenhills Road & main street in Tallaght for the past 2 years. Its still wrong.

Just had a look at the TOMTOM route planner on their site, (presume this would be the latest maps) was about to consider purchasing one, but they still have roundabouts at the entrance to Parkwest and further along the Nangor Road. Those roundabouts are gone a few years now, so think I will try a Garmin!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 scamp

Man Alive!
    These maps are just atrocious! Two times this week the TT Rider I have nearly got me in trouble. Entering into Bunclody from the south, the road was closed for works, so TT recalculates..... sends me up a road.... turning left... into a dead end. Me on bike wondering where I am cursing and punching said TomTom + 20 bored inquisitive teenagers = more eager help than required.:eek:

It was the fifth time that day I had punched the 'map corrections' button. Just compared all the errors this evening against Navteq maps on Microsoft livemaps.... and Navteq maps are perfect! Bring back Navteq!!!! TeleAtlas sucks!

The roads are so clunky... straight lines, sharp clunky turns, ancient, lazy mapping unlike NQ's smooth, accurate, up to date offering. If TA/TT don't pull the finger out, I can see more people reading threads like this and moving to Garmin and NQ. Tried to explain the mapping issues/townlands probs to TT Support but, as has been mentioned before, it tends towards the "No sorry, that's impossible, TA are the best in the world.... the military use them... every road has been driven..." Would love to see a tank drive down the road that doesn't exist near my house!:D

By the by.... wheres TTI?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Havnt seen him around in a while.

Yeah, seems to be in hiding so he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭mossie

TT 830 maps available now. Downloading at the moment so will have a play around with them tomorrow. From past experience I am not expecting much so maybe I'll get a nice surprise.

Mossie

• Advertisement

I havn't found any major changes so far.

My download keeps breaking down. At least TT home resumes downloads now, not like before.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

Got v830.2305 yesterday and already reported 20 errors and more to come

Gaetan

gqma0 wrote: »
    Got v830.2305 yesterday and already reported 20 errors and more to come

Gaetan

Just had a look at it today. No townlands of course plus plenty of mistakes. Roundabouts shown that aren't there and haven't been for years. POIs in wrong places, usual stuff. To be honest since my first map, think it was 715, it seems nothing has changed, or if it has then certainly not for the better. I think I have one more map to get on my one year of updates and if nothing changes I'll get something other than TT. My brothers bog standard panasonic has much better maps than my TT720.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

just downloaded, will try tomorrow :)

Another thing. There is a cross roads about 100m from my house which is pretty much a regular right angled cross. On this map (an presumably on previous ones) and the teleatlas map on google it's like a twisted backward K. It bears no resemblance to what's there or on any printed map I've ever seen. It's the same in a lot of places, roads with sharp angles where there are none, skewed cross roads, angular bends instead of smooth curves. Absolutley dreadful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

Yeah, seems to be in hiding so he does.

Maybe he got lost looking for Townlands....

Cant believe this update the "under construction " M7 to Limerick is on it even though its not due to open for ages yet and the new layout on the Red Cow roundabout has not been updated even though its well finished and the N4 junction is on the maps ages too.

I wonder how they identify whats new and whats changed in order to update the maps ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Since the update covers UK and Ireland, how do we know for sure that the Irish maps are being updated at all?

I wouldn't be surprised if the updates are mainly for the UK.

There should be dedicated updates for Ireland.

• Advertisement

Ireland is a very small area to have dedicated maps for.

Advertisement