Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Tom new UK & IRL map released today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Bought A TTGo920 online last year and really ddin't bother too much with the updates until I found all the documentation again and saw the activate code!

Loaded TT Home and went to activation code and it won't accept it!

I have a 10 digit code and it looks for an 11 digit code!

Was in Florida in February and the maps were excellent - worked by zip code and it was a dream.

Located in Co Waterford and around me I tend to drive through fields according the TT!

Reading this thread seems to indicate it isn't worth updating maps (they want over €95 for the priviledge!

I am currently working from Western & Central Europe V710.1576. and the firmware seems to be V8.351

Would this be the correct reading of the situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

I put in Malahide castle today and it brought me 5 miles out of the way :mad:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

on what map?
    please supply information to recreate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

alibabba wrote: »
    I just want a sat nav that i plug in, press location and go.
    I dont want to be messing with maps and adding roads and map sharing.
    Should I be looking for something with Navtech maps rather than teleatlas ?

Navteq maps are better for Ireland that's a fact I have 4 year old Navteq maps on my TT1 (before they stopped using them) that are better than current TomTom versions for rural areas and townlands as for map sharing and updating that's the mapper's job and that's why we pay them for maps so let them do it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

eamon234 wrote: »
    as for map sharing and updating that's the mapper's job and that's why we pay them for maps so let them do it.
    But would you not agree the ability to correct your map instantly is better than waiting for the next update????:confused:

• Advertisement

TomTom Maps WCE / UK & ROI 835.2419 Were released today

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

Is red cow changed ?

Red Cow & Lucan Intersections are updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Red Cow doesn't look much different on TomTom's route planner

Have noticed before that the planner doesn't get updated as quick.

• Advertisement

Having upgraded, I note Park West still has only one entrance (actually 3) and a roundabout at that single entrance....................

Can you post the location of this?

Park West.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.33136,-6.368895&spn=0.020631,0.065875&z=15

Park W Road should extend to Kileen Road
    Park W Avenue should extend to Cloverhill Road (to a roundabout about where the bend is to the E of the M50)
    The Roundabout at the junction of Park W Avenue and Nangor Road no longer exists.

These are definitely not new changes, and have been reported by me several times over the past few years.

I'll report in detail with screenshots. Hopefully that will help.

The Roundabout at the junction of Park W Avenue and Nangor Road has been removed.

koolkid wrote: »
    I'll report in detail with screenshots. Hopefully that will help.

The Roundabout at the junction of Park W Avenue and Nangor Road has been removed.

That's good to hear, and not before time.

Why don't TeleAtlas (now owned by TomTom) just employ people to drive the roads like NavTeq did? They then won't end up with situations in the countryside, where the road exists on the map, but is about 3-400m off where it actually is!

testicle wrote: »
    That's good to hear, and not before time.

Why don't TeleAtlas (now owned by TomTom) just employ people to drive the roads like NavTeq did?
    They do, and they have been present a lot in ireland recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭mossie

Still no townlands I guess??

koolkid wrote: »
    They do, and they have been present a lot in ireland recently.

It's not being reflected in the quality of their maps, unfortunately. Unless they are driving on N/M roads only.

I have seem them a lot on country roads & estates in the last few months so maybe something will come of it.

Yeah I agree about roads been 2-300m off. R252 between Ballybofey and Dungloe is a classic and also .......on a different note ..... why in Gods earth would Kildare St in the middle of Dublin suddenly become 2 way !! Driving into work my normal route today going around Stephens Green and suddenly from the depths of Tomtom turn right onto Kildare St ............ Any ideas Koolkid?

• Advertisement

pmsurveys wrote: »
    why in Gods earth would Kildare St in the middle of Dublin suddenly become 2 way !! Driving into work my normal route today going around Stephens Green and suddenly from the depths of Tomtom turn right onto Kildare St ............ Any ideas Koolkid?

No Idea TBH. Corrected via MapShare . I suggest everyone do the same.
    MapShare mainly works by volume.

Yeah ..... I thought the same but it is weird why that would suddenly change. I have to say though that teleatlas seem to be giving Ireland some credit at last. Things are changing slowly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Help,

I need to free 26mb of space on my tomtom 720 to accomadate the new maps, what can I delete that's safe...I've no contracts, messages, pictures etc on the device

tks

You could just put a memory card into it thats what I use for WCE.:D
    If you are using TomTom Home 2.7 Connect your device goto page 2 & select Manage my Go. Select the tab Items on my device.
    This will give you a list of whats on your device & the memory it uses.
    One voice should free up around 40-50 mb

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Cheers koolKid have it sorted, ran into another problem after the update, my map screen is blue/grey like night mode and it won't change back to the normal colours even when I change it in the settings:confused:

Try reset button hold in for about 15-20 seconds.
    Are you sure its not set to change to night colours in reduced light?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

I've given up on updating my TomTom.
    I still have the last set of Navteq maps on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

gonker wrote: »
    I put in Malahide castle today and it brought me 5 miles out of the way :mad:

There you go koolkid

R126 Hearse Road -prospect hill Donabate is the address for Malahide Castle on the TomTom.
    Map Western Europe 1g v830.2306
    app 7.903 os:2344

Oh and my address is written as "The Rice" I live on "The Rise"

gonker wrote: »
    There you go koolkid

R126 Hearse Road -prospect hill Donabate is the address for Malahide Castle on the TomTom.
    Map Western Europe 1g v830.2306
    app 7.903 os:2344

Oh and my address is written as "The Rice" I live on "The Rise"

Both of those can be corretted by you on the device..
    But I will send correction also

• Advertisement

Just to demonstrate how bad TomTom mapping is, in the countryside, I drove from Killeshin to Abbeyleix the other evening and made a log of my progress, at 1 second intervals. I then married this track up with Google Maps, which uses NavTeq maps for Ireland - i.e. the same as those used by TomTom.

Here is the result : http://moybella.net/~mark/track.xml
    (It takes a few moments to load)

I advise you to zoom in and pan about. The start point was Killeshin at the lower right. Finish point being Abbeyleix at the upper left. The green dotted line is my track.

It starts off OK until you turn right at Tollerton. From there, crossing the N78 at a staggered junction, and onto the Swan, whoever mapped it, must have been on drugs. It's up to a quarter of a mile off in some places. From the Swan onto Abbeyleix, it's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better that what went before it.

Advertisement