Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Tom new UK & IRL map released today

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Interesting..

What map is on your device ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

The latest - v835.2419. The track is from the GPS co-ords, not "snap to road" like the TomTom will do if it's within 100m of a road.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'll pass it on.

It's just an example. There are roads like it all over the country...

I know there is , especially on country roads. But there have been inprovements in the last few map releases.

• Advertisement

Do you want the track? It'll save them driving it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

Allbeit I have to say that over the last 6 months I submitted about 6 "mad" errors to Tomtom and in the last 2 updates most have been corrected / added.

The list was

Naas ring road from B&Q around to Sallins Road. This was missing.
    N4 Drumsna exit and flyover for shortcut to Leitrim village
    M4 Kinnegad exit and road towards Edenderry
    Small back road near me where "mad S bend" is but was shown as straight and Tomtom used to recalculate every time ... was very frustrating ..... and amazingly has been changed.
    Dont know about road between Ballybofey and Dungloe

Keep sending them in and it seems they do take notice eventually.

Yes 835 saw some Major changes . Especially along the M50 & intersections.

testicle wrote: »
    Park West.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.33136,-6.368895&spn=0.020631,0.065875&z=15

Park W Road should extend to Kileen Road
    Park W Avenue should extend to Cloverhill Road (to a roundabout about where the bend is to the E of the M50)
    The Roundabout at the junction of Park W Avenue and Nangor Road no longer exists.

These are definitely not new changes, and have been reported by me several times over the past few years.

Got this corrected in latest map ;)

Map "Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB" v840.2562

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

koolkid wrote: »

I concur , testing v840 now and there seems to be a lot of new content for Ireland on there . A big improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Anybody know if I can get my TomTom repaired. It will not switch on at all. Just the green light on the top. Even when plugged into the computer. Have reset it but no joy. Have just bought new maps too.:mad:

Can you give me a bit more information gonker?
    What model is the device?
    Any Idea of the firmware?
    When you connect to the PC is it seen as an external storagfe device?
    Have you tried thr reset?

Its a tom tom one Europe. No idea of the version. Ill go get it now and see if its seen as an external device. Tried to reset and all the stuff on the net. It seems quite a common problem.:(

Edit: No its not showing up at all. When I go into tomtom home on computer it says device not connected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

sharkman wrote: »
    I concur , testing v840 now and there seems to be a lot of new content for Ireland on there . A big improvement.

Might dig the old 910 outta retirement and give this a try :)

gonker wrote: »
    Its a tom tom one Europe. No idea of the version. Ill go get it now and see if its seen as an external device. Tried to reset and all the stuff on the net. It seems quite a common problem.:(

Edit: No its not showing up at all. When I go into tomtom home on computer it says device not connected.

Does not sound good..
    The only other option is to either disconnect the battery or let it discharge fully.
    Recconnect & fully charge & see if that works.

Noooo. right Ill try that. If I bought a new tom tom uk and Ireland and loaded the europe maps on it would they work?

Maps are certified to a particualr device.
    If you bought the maps for a previous device & that is not functioning , you would have to contact Customer Support & request a new certificate.

:mad: Thanks anyway. So you dont think it can be fixed then :o

Without looking at the device I cant say 100% ...
    Have you tried opening the unit at all?
    Its also possible its something as simple as the on/off button not connecting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Hi Koolkid,

I have a question.
    I currently have a TT Go 730 IQ with
    Western & Central Europe 2Gb V830.2305
    App 8.351

Is it possible for me to download just the V840 of the UK and Ireland maps and keep the Western and Central Europe maps? As I only have 90MB free. Could I download the UK and Ireland maps to an SD card and use that. I know there is only €30 between the UK&ROI and West&Cent Eur maps, but I have yet to travel and drive in Europe....Your advice would be appreciated

• Advertisement

Yes you could add UKROI 840 to an SD card.
    In the menu on you device goto preferences> Switch map> Select map

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Updating maps now. Have to say, it can give very odd directions at times on the Waterford to Roscommon route. At one stage it was telling me to go into a business park over a main road. I assume it will be sometime before the Waterford City bypass and motorway is added?

Have you selected shortest route???

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Have you selected shortest route???

The new maps have the bypass without the speeds - I am working on correcting those atm.

As for Roscommon - well, regardless, you cant get to the destination via the business park :p

Shall I report errors here instead of TomTom so? :D

For those interested, Bing Maps is the same as the latest TomTom maps - http://www.bing.com/maps

If you want to pass any onto me I'll do the best I can testicle.
    Bing are using Navteq maps so they wouldn't always be the same as TomTom

So they are doh!

Since the latest version of TomTom maps there is a section on the N25 Waterford-Cork that is not placing the car symbol on the road. Ill have to mark down the exact location when I am going that way again this weekend.

I assume me setting speed limits for the community wont be taken as accurate? There a little off, not much, but dont start at exactly the spot I have marked.

there are a few areas like that where allignment is an issue. If you can grap the co-ordinates that would help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

there are a few areas like that where allignment is an issue. If you can grap the co-ordinates that would help.

Koolkid, I'm really impressed by your work commitment with TT. Not only you're very active on TT beta testing but you also get to contribute a lot on boards. Well done !!

Advertisement