Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Tom new UK & IRL map released today

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

gqma0 wrote: »
    Koolkid, I'm really impressed by your work commitment with TT. Not only you're very active on TT beta testing but you also get to contribute a lot on boards. Well done !!

Thanks, nice comments are always appriciated. I try my best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

gqma0 said
    Koolkid, I'm really impressed by your work commitment with TT. Not only you're very active on TT beta testing but you also get to contribute a lot on boards. Well done !!

Id like to second that coolkid.

I can be a nervous driver when negotiating my way through urban areas I dont know. My little Tom Tom has given me more confidence and has taken the stress off such trips.
    Recently I overshot the new turn to Newry under stress and on my way to a funeral. OK the Tom Tom did not have the new roundabout, which is in fairness still under construction on it, but without it I would never have been able to figure out how to take an exit and get my way back again. Whew!
    So keep up the good work Koolkid improving the service on Irish maps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Yes, well done Koolkid.

Does anyone happen to know if the "Operate my Go" feature in TomTom Home works on Windows 7, or is it just mine it doesn't work on? My TomTom application version is v8.391.1908 on a 920.

I get the attached error.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

8.391 is the wrong application.
    Delete it and install 8.351 and it should work.

koolkid wrote: »
    8.391 is the wrong application.
    Delete it and install 8.351 and it should work.

8.391 installed via TT Home the other day. Lots of new shiney new GUI...

• Advertisement

Yey! Works again. I take it I got an application update that I wasn't supposed to, because all they new shinyness is gone, and I'm back to the "old" interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Panrich

I bought a tomtom go 730 earlier in the year. Worked great on holidays and around dublin but I live in Trim and I may as well have got my 9 year old to do the mapping. We have had a bypass with roundabouts for 10 years thats missing. My housing estate where I have been living for the past 7 years (Lackanash circa 150 houses) is a field and therefore I cannot add my home. I have seen that the tomtom maps are the same as those that appear on google earth.

Overall its great for use in the major cities and on main roads (M/N) but turn it off when you get off the beaten track.

Rural areas have improved over v835 & v840 with the inclusion of townlands.
    If you can send me particular ommissions with locations & map shots I'll get them added

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

testicle wrote: »
    For those interested, Bing Maps is the same as the latest TomTom maps -
    Not exactly , I've found two areas in Swords this week which were on TT's latest maps and not on Bing .

• Advertisement

sharkman wrote: »
    Not exactly , I've found two areas in Swords this week which were on TT's latest maps and not on Bing .

We cleared that up earlier. Bing is Navteq, i.e. same as Garmin. TomTom uses TeleAtlas, which they own, and is also used by Google Maps.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

testicle wrote: »
    We cleared that up earlier. Bing is Navteq, i.e. same as Garmin. TomTom uses TeleAtlas, which they own, and is also used by Google Maps.

I'm well aware who owns what , the fact remains that there are discrepencies between bing and v840.2562.

sharkman wrote: »
    I'm well aware who owns what , the fact remains that there are discrepencies between bing and v840.2562.

Course there is, the mapping is done by completely different companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭mossie

Rural areas have improved over v835 & v840 with the inclusion of townlands.
    If you can send me particular ommissions with locations & map shots I'll get them added

Not anywhere I have been driving. I have seen two townlands, one in the wrong pace and the other twice as big as it should be. Waste of time sending omissions would have to send all of north Cork at least

Why is it a waste of time.
    If you want me help help get them sorted , send them to me. If not then sorry I cant help,

Why is it a waste of time.
    If you want me help help get them sorted , send them to me. If not then sorry I cant help,

Because there are far, far, far too many. I have better things to do than do Tomtom / Teleatlas's job for them. I've driven hundreds of miles with the new maps and there are still few, if any, townlands in the Cork / Kerry area. If Teleatlas were to look at the maps they supply to google (which have 90%+ of townlands) and compare those to the "maps" they supply to TT (which seem to have about 5%) it would be very clear what's missing. Unfortunately, while TT are excellent in Urban areas they are still essentially useless in rural Ireland. If I want to find a townland 9 times out of 10 I have to go to the nearest town, go to the Post Office and ask directions.

Hi Mossie , I agree There are communication issues between Tele Atlas & TomTom , even though they are one in the same. I also understand that its not your job & you don't have the time. I don't have all the time in the world either but I just try & help as well as I can. I think the MapShare concept is good & with everyones help & a bit better structuring from TT & TA we could have much better maps.
    However if there is anything you want corrected fell free to let me know & I'll help it along the way.

Hi Mossie , I agree There are communication issues between Tele Atlas & TomTom , even though they are one in the same. I also understand that its not your job & you don't have the time. I don't have all the time in the world either but I just try & help as well as I can. I think the MapShare concept is good & with everyones help & a bit better structuring from TT & TA we could have much better maps.
    However if there is anything you want corrected fell free to let me know & I'll help it along the way.

Thanks koolkid for the offer and sorry if I was guilty of "shooting the messenger". I have tried submitting some townland names with MapShare but it seems that when I select an area it selects the entire length of the road and I can't select shorter lengths for naming as would be the case with townlands. MapShare is great for errors such as changed roundabouts, one way streets etc. but is a bit cumbersome for townlands. I think I have one more update in my annual subscription and after that I cannot really see any point in renewing barring a real improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭GospelGroupie

I've had a TomTom Go 930 for the past year (which I never fully managed to integrate with any of my Vodafone handsets for services, etc [Nokia N95, SE c905, Samsung H1, iPhone), and now I've installed the new TomTom app for the iPhone. As a regular driver from Dublin to Galway I've always found both the Go930 and the iPhone ap wanting me to turn off after Athlone, head towards Roscommon town and then cross-country through Mountbellew, etc., and then come out on the N17 (Tuam Rd) into Galway. After the M6 was extended to Ballinasloe in August I expected it to change, no joy. Now that the M6 motorway goes all the way from Dublin to Galway cutting the journey-time to just over 2 hours, my TomToms continue to encourage me to take that scenic route for 2hrs 50min. By the way, in all cases, it's set to take the fastest, not shortest, route.

How often do TeleAtlas map the Irish road network? Any chance they can do it again soon? And will the iPhone maps be updated for free?

Setting off for Galway again now (down to the wifes' family for Christmas). I won't be expecting either TomTom to show me the way.

Merry Christmas,

Brian

On your Galway to dublin route what calculation setting are you using? Select fastest route or Eco route & see what changes.
    TT release maps every 3 months. TA are constantly mapping areas.Whether maps for iPhone will be free remains to be seen.
    Have a safe journey Brian

• Advertisement

Wow, you're fast!!! Yeah, I always select "fastest route", and it brings me all over Roscommon. Don't get me wrong, Roscommon isn't a bad county at all, but I don't really want to visit as much of it as my TomTom wants to. Even the Route Finder on www.tomtom.ie takes that route. Crazy.
    http://www.routes.tomtom.com/t/#/route/Dublin%252C%2520IE%254053.3441%252C-6.26749%2540-1/Galway%252C%2520IE%254053.2738%252C-9.05178%2540-1/?leave=now&traffic=true
    It's a fairly big oversight, if you ask me.

Can you post your starting point & destination & I'll run a demo route & get some screen shots.

Can you post your starting point & destination & I'll run a demo route & get some screen shots.

Dublin
    Galway

:D

Seriously. Click on the link in his post

I was looking for more specefic. Sometimes a certain location causes different routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

Try Lucan to Ballybrit !

Thanks for getting back to me, sorry for delayed post. Busy doing nothing yesterday.
    From Athlone to Ballybrit, on the approach to Galway, My TomTom was working overtime recalculating. The M6, which is a beautiful road, by the way, and obviously did not appear overnight, is still unmapped for TomToms. That's a bloody poor reflection on the product, if you ask me. The existance of this intercity motorway will change route calculations for anyone driving from almost anywhere in Leinster to most of counties Galway, Mayo or West Clare.
    But even without the new M6, the existing N6 should be the fastest route displayed when travelling from Athlone to Galway, and not the bizarre combination of R-class routes which TomTom calculates.
    As an aside, can TomTom remap the bridges in Dublin City? The new Samuel Beckett Bridge doesn't exist, the approach south from Beresford Place around the Customs House is wrong, O'Connell Bridge seems to have a sharp cruve on it. I last updated my map three weeks ago. Can anyone else confirm these anomolies?

sbb1.gif
    Samual Beckett Bridge is present on latest
    Map
    "Western_and_Central_Europe" v840.2562

No Issues with approach from Beresford Place . What error were you finding here?
    Routing from Lucan (Laraghcon) To Eyre Square Galway i get this route?
    lgr1.gif
    lgr2.gif
    lgr3.gif
    The route profile is fastest route /allow toll roads.
    What changes shoud be made to this?
    Here is O Connel Bridge
    ocb1.gif
    Whats the error here?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Much of the discussion relating to Townlands and TomTom Teleatlas mapping dates to the end of 2008 / early 2009. Has this issue been resolved?

Townlands are absolutely essential for anyone working in rural ireland.

RBJ

Townlands were added from maps v835.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Thanks koolkid,

My version out of the box on christmas day was v825.

RevBJ

Advertisement