Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Tom new UK & IRL map released today

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You should be able to get 840 undet latest map gaurantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

So Koolkid, I have the latest TT(730) maps and I notice that when I am driving on the M1/N1 towards the City centre, TT brings me off at Santry and then back on to the N1. This is where the Port Tunnel entry starts and I reckon that TT believe it is bringing me into the port tunnel, when in fact there is an seperate road. Any chance this can be retified. Its no big issue just annoying, it keeps saying exit ahead when I know TT is wrong.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

batman2000 wrote: »
    So Koolkid, I have the latest TT(730) maps and I notice that when I am driving on the M1/N1 towards the City centre, TT brings me off at Santry and then back on to the N1. This is where the Port Tunnel entry starts and I reckon that TT believe it is bringing me into the port tunnel, when in fact there is an seperate road. Any chance this can be retified. Its no big issue just annoying, it keeps saying exit ahead when I know TT is wrong.
    It has been on the latest map v840. You should also check that its not a case of that side of the road been blocked via map share, Goto map corrections>correct a map error> (Un)block street>On Map> Select section of road & check its not blocked northbound.
    Also select route & allow toll roads to see if this changes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

eirlink wrote: »
    heres an example of the poor spelling..Tomtom this is bad.

TomTomHOME-1-1.jpg

nothing south of malahide road im afraid
    TomTomHOME-2-1.jpg

New road is not there
    TomTomHOME-3.jpg

I hope tomtomireland takes this valuable feedback when he logs back in.....

That spelling of Kinsaley is not incorrect, there are several local versions.

Check the local signposts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

That spelling of Kinsaley is not incorrect, there are several local versions.

Check the local signposts.

Toomevara Co Tipperary is signed mostly as Toomyvara. That doesn't make it correct.

• Advertisement

Road signs & spelling in Ireland is generally poor, with many areas having many different spellings. Dunlaoire is a classic example.
    If we don't know how to spell the names ourselves we can hardly complain when others get it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

I may be wrong but I think Charlie Haughey called his estate Kinsaley.

Now who would dare question him even posthumously? ;)

I agree that there are many instances of wrong/variant spelling on our road signs so it would be difficult for others to get it right always.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

can anyone tell me how to insert co-ordinates into my iphone tomtom app, i dont see how ? sure i can manually insert address, but ive been given a set of numbers that i want to try,

thanks

Thats not possible on that application Bobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

koolkid wrote: »
    It has been on the latest map v840. You should also check that its not a case of that side of the road been blocked via map share, Goto map corrections>correct a map error> (Un)block street>On Map> Select section of road & check its not blocked northbound.
    Also select route & allow toll roads to see if this changes it.

Thanks KK, did an update, it actually now comes up with an exit still, its for the 1 City Centre. (There is no Exit 1 for the City Centre) Its not an exit just an continuation on the M1. So mayube this need to fixed for the next rev

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

While I find the latest version of TomTom's maps to be mostly accurate (especially in urban areas), I was disappointed to find that 2 large shopping centres are not mapped. I am talking about the Pavilions in Swords and the Blanchardstown Centre. I had reason to go to both in the last week and was let down by the device. I have logged their co-ordinates and assume I can send in the details to TomTom via MapShare?

Please do. Mapshares biggest downfall is the lack of volume of corrections shared.

Please do. Mapshares biggest downfall is the lack of volume of corrections shared.

Based on my corrections alone, can I expect to see those Shopping Centres I mentioned on the next map release? Is that how it works?

gebbel wrote: »
    Based on my corrections alone, can I expect to see those Shopping Centres I mentioned on the next map release? Is that how it works?

Sadly not. Changes have to be made by a number of people (or trusted sources) , they need to also pass moderation before the patches are sent to the live server & distrubited via map share. POPIs are also not a priority in this process.
    Frustrating!!! I know.

If only we had postcodes down here. I have been using my TomTom a lot up North and in the UK lately and find inputting the postcodes gets me there 100% of the time!

They are coming I believe. The sooner the better.
    I use them around Belfast a lot.They bring you to exactly where you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Can anyone tell me if its worth buying the new Ireland maps for Tom Tom. Mines about 2 years old and its pretty bad in a lot of cases. Not sure if to buy new device rather than map.

Can you post what version map you have?
    2 years old would be worth updating.Depending on where you use it of course.
    I dont know Greystones too well. But there have been a good lot of changes on the M50 intersections , also the N2 realignment.
    If you want to post some examples of what is outdated on your map I will look it up on v840.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Can you post what version map you have?
    2 years old would be worth updating.Depending on where you use it of course.
    I dont know Greystones too well. But there have been a good lot of changes on the M50 intersections , also the N2 realignment.
    If you want to post some examples of what is outdated on your map I will look it up on v840.

Cheers mate will do. Its in my cab at the moment and its peeing down :)

Always found it ok just could do with updating like Dart stations etc. It misses out a few along the Dart line and also no Luas stations on it.

Unfortunatly POIs are not TomTom's strong point. But at leats you have the option to add them yourself. Have a look arount the custom POIs on TomTom home. There are a few options for dart stations you can download & add. You can also add via map corrections onto your device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 scamp

Hey Kookid,

Whats your take on map correction updates actually making it to being implemented? I posted a few bits to this thread a while back about updating to mapshare and teleatlas for terrible mapping in my local area on roads that have been there since the beginning of time but still, none of the corrections have been put in place... nearly 10 months now :eek:

I decided to take the leap last night and take up the sale Tom Tom were having and upgraded my Western and Central Europe maps v840.2563 on my TT Tider 2 for €49 hoping some of the fixes might be there..... I found verrrrrry little.

A bit peeved, I called TT support and talked to a decent lad who said it should only take a month or two for Mapshare corrections to be implemented but a map upgrade would be needed for main roads/towns and the like. A few months ago, TT support said it could take up to 9 months for mapshare updates to take effect! I asked about the townlands issue too and he seemed to know nothing about it even after he went off chatting to his 'superior'.

Whats the best plan of action? Wait a little longer? Keep submitting the same corrections? The TT Rider is a great robust piece of kit for the bike but the maps.... man alive!

Thanks for your help so far on the thread!

Hi Scamp,
    Please take a look at my sticky re MapShare corrections .
    This is an issue we have pushed to be addressed by TT.
    As it stands numerous people must submit the same correction for it to be flagged. It then has to pass manual moderation before registering on the live server and downloading to users who choose to accept mapshare corrections. Those errors are then reviewed by TA to decide if they are made part of the next map release.
    By using the MapShare. Corrections thread we can all help get corrections noticed. I am a trusted user so I can add some weight to them. I will also pass them directly to TT on beta test forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 scamp

Cheers Koolkid,
    Good to know. Must have missed that thread. I'll submit the corrections via that thread also from here on in and see how we get on.

Also note, if everyone makes, and submits, the corrections that others post it will help the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

Hello,

I just purchased a new TOMTOM XXL yesterday, it has version 8.55 and it doesn't have the M6 on it! Now I know the M6 is relatively new, but it is over a month old now and had been on the plans for years. I then went to the TomTom website to update the software, it's says your entitled to free updates during the first 30 days, but no map updates were available. After mucking around I then got a message that a new map is available, but I have to pay 49 euros for it, but I just bought the thing yesterday!!!!! Plus I can't even be sure if this new update even has the M6 on it. I have my preferences set for fastest route, but still no M6.

Can anyone help? Am I doing something wrong, or should I return this? If it doesn't yet have the M6, should people in Ireland give them their business? Plus since I just bought it, there's no way I'm going to pay more to get the maps right, how they should have been when I bought it! Does Garman have the M6?

Hi Bozacke,
    8.55? Are you quoting the Application version. What is the map version?

The latest Map is Map Western_and_Central_Europe v840.2562
    You are entitled to the the map using the Latest map guarantee from TomTom. All you need to know is in that link.
    Here is a screen shot of the M6 from that map.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

Hi Koolkid,

Thanks for that!!:)

It appears that you have to go to the 'Tools' menu and click 'Use Latest Map Guarantee', in order to get the latest map within the first 30 days without paying. I've now downloaded the latest map.

How can I tell what map version is on my device? Because I have now downloaded the latest version and it's greater than the Map Western_and_Central_Europe v840.2562 that you quoted, but I can't remember which version I downloaded and I can't seem to find the version number listed in the device.

From the main menu goto page 3, select Status and Information, select Version Information.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jth7

Bozacke, I bought a TomTom GO Live 550 over Christmas. Updated it with my free update map in early January. This update does have the fully complete M6. The only strange thing is that for the new Galway-Ballinasloe section the Satnav doesn't know the max speed limit (although this can be manually corrected on your unit to 120kph). Also there is one part of the new section of motorway that is obviously misaligned on the Satnav because for about a minute the Satnav seems to say that you are driving on grass with the motorway about ten metres to your right! Also the new toll bridge isn't in it.

But aside from that it's grand, if you are in Galway and tell it to take you to Dublin it will route you on the new complete M6 all the way. Now if only they incorporated other (pretty basic) fixes - e.g. the junction at the Hunstman in Galway, which still appears on it as a roundabout, and the fact that you are not allowed turn right from South Circular Road onto South Richmond Street in Dublin. These are pretty basic fixes that I am disappointed weren't incorporated onto the latest map update.

• Advertisement
Advertisement