Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Tom new UK & IRL map released today

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 paulm1

Can you check new link road around Naas in Co Kildare shown on attached image. Not on Google maps but open about 2years min.

Thanks

Also meant to ask Tomtom Ireland about speed limits on all R roads. On any that I have travelled on there is no max speed limit associated with them even though I would say 99% of them have a speed limit of 80kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

paulm1 wrote: »
    Can you check new link road around Naas in Co Kildare shown on attached image. Not on Google maps but open about 2years min.

Thanks

Top end
    TomTomHOME-5.jpg

Middle
    TomTomHOME-6.jpg

Bottom end
    TomTomHOME-4.jpg

This should be getting a little embarrassing for TT! esp as you say its open 2 YEARS.
    Im pretty cheesed off especially after buying this update 2 weeks ago....supposed to be latest teleatas maps

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Sorry Guys , but are these roads available on other brands ?

Also meant to ask Tomtom Ireland about speed limits on all R roads. On any that I have travelled on there is no max speed limit associated with them even though I would say 99% of them have a speed limit of 80kph.

TTireland says he will try to get the mapping sorted...and we are providing him with the feedback he asked, so lets see what happens. I would prefer to get the mapping up to date and worry about speed limits later. after all the speed limits can be added as a POI file very easily. The mapping is an altogether different beast.

Feel free to ask me to check out your locations...i feel the more examples we post on here the more TT will sit up and listen. Thanks to boards.ie we now have a platform to highlight the shortfalls and in so doing , provide some insight to potential buyers/ upgraders.

• Advertisement

sharkman wrote: »
    Sorry Guys , but are these roads available on other brands ?

can anyone advise if navteq Q2 2008 covers any of these?
    i dont have that version anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

eirlink wrote: »
    can anyone advise if navteq Q2 2008 covers any of these?
    i dont have that version anymore.
    No it doesn't, at least it's not on CN NT Europe 2009 anyway.

Just in case anyone doubts attached is latest ordnance survey map (part of) with road shown. Was only able to partly screen grab but enough is shown to indicate new road around Naas. There is another link road linking same area to Kilcullen road but is only open about 4 months.

strange that the moate bypass and the charlestown bypasses are on 815.2024 but the kilkenny and nass examples are not??
    guess they took the map info from other sources rather than a drive thru

Just in case anyone doubts attached is latest ordnance survey map (part of) with road shown. Was only able to partly screen grab but enough is shown to indicate new road around Naas. There is another link road linking same area to Kilcullen road but is only open about 4 months.

so are my screengrabs accurate for the area you need checked??

• Advertisement

Yeah they are accurate alright. I think Tomtom might be using the NRA new road data to plan their mapping because the Carlow bypass is on the new mapping which is only open a few weeks. http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/KildareCountyCouncil/N9N10CarlowBypass/SchemeName,15480,en.html

This obviously wont include local authority upgrades although as I am writing I looked up NRA for this http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/KilkennyCountyCouncil/N77KilkennyRingRoadExtension/SchemeName,15469,en.html

Now am baffled !!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

A question for Tomtom Ireland. The map update 815.2024 is that the UK / Ireland update or Western and Central Europe update or should both be the same ? My latest is 815.2003 but Tomtom home wont update to 2024 says I have the latest update ?

pmsurveys wrote: »
    A question for Tomtom Ireland. The map update 815.2024 is that the UK / Ireland update or Western and Central Europe update or should both be the same ? My latest is 815.2003 but Tomtom home wont update to 2024 says I have the latest update ?

what unit are you referring to

Tomtom Go 730. Had an old one yonks ago but had changed to Garmin mobile XT on Nokia 6110 Navigator which is good and I still have it but battery issues made me think about changing and was coming through Heathrow last week and they were doing the 730 Deluxe for just over 200 quid so bought it. Handsfree is brilliant on it and I like the interface with lane assist etc. Worked brill in UK and also in Spain last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

pmsurveys wrote: »

I've got Western & Central Europe on my Go910 and it's fully up to date at v815.2023 (yours is saying 815.2003). So perhaps 2024 is UK & ROI only then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Can TomTom users not update the map to reflect the new roads?

T-Square wrote: »
    Can TomTom users not update the map to reflect the new roads?

no...users can only edit roads IF they already exist...in the above cases the roads are missing

Yeah you can add roads by location and description which are uploaded to Tomtom and then "if" they decide there is enough demand they will go and map them.

agreed...but youre sending them a text based message via mapshare...the user cannot update the mapping as in , drawing in a missing road. i think thats what poster wanted to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Automatic turn on, when the engine starts would be handy, on the TomTom one v3.

• Advertisement

Thank you.

Perhaps naively I thought the map share functionality would allow users to address the missing road issue.

I am a big TomTom fan. For those of you using a TT, are there roads missing from the maps supplied by TomTom, in and around Dublin?

I remember when using my TomTom One (2 years ago), a lot of roads were missing,
    I thought map share would sort this out.

To be honest, now that I know I cannot fix these issues myself and upload them to TomTom's website, the map share idea is looking pretty lame.

Who gives a rats about a street name being missing, or a two lane being changed to a single lane, when important roads are simply missing and cannot be added.

Sheesh, TomTom need to cop themselves on.

It's start to look like Garmin will be getting my money, especially as they have managed to copy the lane guidance idea from TT.

Amazingly, you can no longer transmit your choons over the FM!
    "Devices with FM transmitter functionality is (sic) now unfortunately music only. With the launch of the Go x40 series and the release of Navcore 8.300 route instructions can no longer be transmitted, leaving the FM transmitter only suitable for music. The reason is a law which describes that an FM transmitter is not allowed to occupy an FM frequency if nothing is being transmitted. Thus, in between route instructions the frequency has to be released completely. This would result in the white noise you hear when not having tuned into a radio station and this feature was therefore taken out completely." (From an Amazon review)

If you had 150 approx to spend, what satnav would you buy from the TomTom and Garmin range, and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭mossie

For Tom Tom Ireland.

I have the usual problem with the Teleatlas maps, basically that if you want to find a Townland you have to find the nearest town then stop and ask somebody because Teleatlas does not have Townlands.

I have been trying for 12 months to get this through to Tomtoms support which basically has the attitude of (to paraphrase) "We are Tomtom. We have your money. We are right, you are wrong. Tough." They also tell me that I should fix it myself with mapshare, but won't admit that there is a problem. I have dealt with many support services over the years but Tomtom support is by far the most arrogant and unhelpful I have come across.

Even the Teleatlas maps supplied to Google have townlands why can't they do this for Tomtom, the parent company of Teleatlas?

Something else I have noticed ..... Tomtom have gone to the trouble of labelling exits off motorways in Irish !! Has anyone else noticed this?

for tomtom ireland § 2

give us our townlands.....we know you have them ( check your navteq files! ):;)

yeah go on tomtom ireland ...... think of it as business development !!!

townlands cost extra, and most people don't give a rats about them,
    so TomTom aren't going to increase their unit price by €1 just cos you guys want them.

While driving from Dublin to Galway, while driving at 150km/h
    who wants to know that if they look to their right hand side,
    they'll see Ballykickapoo and on their left hand side Tubbercurry.

well if you see tubbercurry on your way from dublin to galway...you must be using a tomtom cause its well known it has gps "drift":rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭mossie

T-Square wrote: »
    townlands cost extra, and most people don't give a rats about them,
    so TomTom aren't going to increase their unit price by €1 just cos you guys want them.

While driving from Dublin to Galway, while driving at 150km/h
    who wants to know that if they look to their right hand side,
    they'll see Ballykickapoo and on their left hand side Tubbercurry.

There are people who actually need to find townlands 20 times a day in their work without having to stop 50 times to ask, that's where satnav should help, not to know what's on this side or that, but actually to find a place. Life isn't all Dublin and cities, thankfully, despite what some people think. Townlands are already on Teleatlas maps for google it shouldn't cost anything to put them on the maps for Tomtom.

mossie wrote: »
    There are people who actually need to find townlands 20 times a day in their work without having to stop 50 times to ask, that's where satnav should help, not to know what's on this side or that, but actually to find a place. Life isn't all Dublin and cities, thankfully, despite what some people think. Townlands are already on Teleatlas maps for google it shouldn't cost anything to put them on the maps for Tomtom.

hear hear.

• Advertisement

And what do you do when you find a 'place'?

People and things go to 'addresses', not a 'place'.

@eirlink, TubOfCurry is not referring to the actual location, do you honestly think KickAPoo exists too?

If you do, I think you may be the type of person who couldn't find his own backside with two hands and a satnav

Advertisement