Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Tom new UK & IRL map released today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

T-square you're missing the point.

A GPS is meant to help you find those back arse places. Its not difficult to follow big roadsigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Ideally the satnav would have all of the data available, but it's all sold in layers. The *majority* of Irish satnav customers will enter an address, with a house number, a *minority* of expert level satnav users, want to type in a place name or town land. Guys like you.

The town land / place name layer costs a few cents extra,
    the TomTom product manager decided it wasn't worth paying for.

It might come at some stage, but that's the reason it's not there now.

Off topic, is it safe to buy from ebay, or should I stick with Pixmania or amazon? I'd like to pick up a 520/530 or a 720/730. Is it folly to buy TomTom, what would the equivalent Garmin be called?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

I picked up my 730 from Dixons duty free in Heathrow £212 stg on offer. You must know someone passing thru soon. Has anyone esle noticed Tomtom Irelands' distinct absence from the forum lately ?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

pmsurveys wrote: »
    I picked up my 730 from Dixons duty free in Heathrow £212 stg on offer. You must know someone passing thru soon. Has anyone esle noticed Tomtom Irelands' distinct absence from the forum lately ?

Yup. I noticed that too.

He probably signed up, told his boss, and boss told him they have Morkeshing and Tech Support people to do the representing.

I see the TomTom730, can be had for €250 on www.dabs.ie Bargain alert?

For Tomtom Ireland.

Did a trip yesterday. Blackditch (townland) in Kildare to Dripsey (townland in Cork) returning to Dun Laoghaire for meeting in afternoon and then into Ilac Cantre to meet missus. The following errors were encountered and noted and hopefully updated through mapshare.

1st error just outside my house there are a series of bends not shown on the road and everytime I travel along it Tomtom recalculates as it thinks I have started to cross fields. It does come back on track but is annoying since it happens to me on every journey.

OK number 2 after leaving Jack Lynch tunnel mapshare wont let me change the South Ring Road around Cork. Tomtom has it as N28 and N22 South Ring Road. Its actually the N25 but it will only let me change the name South Ring Road and not the number, but the name is correct.

Same error again on way back for South Ring Road but everything ok to Dun Laoghaire until the road I needed to go down Northumberland Road was shown as open to both ways traffic but was one way ....... and of course was not my way !!

Finally into Ilac Car park which is shown only about 250m away from its actual location and on the opposite side of the road !! Pretty poor I would say as this car park is probably the most famous and most used in Dublin.

I do an awful lot of travelling so will be posting more of these. Heading to west Clare tomorrow down around Limerick .... will be interesting.

Although saying all this I was the rest of the journey was pretty accurate including the new Cashel to Mitchelstown motorway which is only open a few months. Still cant understand why the Kilkenny link road and the Naas to Sallins link roads are not updated though.

• Advertisement

Jees €250 is great value. Anyone who needs handsfree this unit is great. Takes a bit of searching to increase the volume for phone calls but when you figure out the secret part of the screen to touch while in a phone call to increase the volume its great. And you only have to do this once before you ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭TomTom Ireland

First of all, sorry for my lack of presence lately, unfortunately not down to my boss telling me otherwise :D This time of year is our busiest in the run up to Christmas and I am pretty busy... hence logging in at 1.45am :eek:

I absolutely assure you that all information fed back to me is 100% taken onboard and will be reported back to product development in Amsterdam. It is of huge importance to me to fix these mapping issues and hear positive feedback from all of our customers.

The process for me now is basically to report specifics to Amsterdam in as far as map issues or poor user experience when using a TomTom. In order for our product development team to address these issues relating to mapping, they need specific locations to report to Tele Atlas. I have several of these now from this thread which I really appreciate - can I please ask also, when mentioning map issues, can you please also let me know what version of Tele Atlas you are using?

I need to get through posts here over the next few days and compile to send on to product development. Again, I really appreciate your feedback and assure you we are working to rectify these issues.

Just to add also, if anyone is attending the Top Gear show in the RDS, I will be there tomorrow at our stand between 5-7pm and again on Saturday between about 11am and 3pm. I would welcome meeting any of you face to face to further discuss. Just ask for David at the stand (which is me obviously!).

In relation to town lands... I have yet to experience this issue myself - is it that the town land area is not mapped at all? If so, I would certainly agree this is a problem and needs to be resolved. Can someone please give me an example of a town land so that I can test?

Thanks all, and appreciate your comments and feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭mossie

In relation to town lands... I have yet to experience this issue myself - is it that the town land area is not mapped at all? If so, I would certainly agree this is a problem and needs to be resolved. Can someone please give me an example of a town land so that I can test?

Thanks all, and appreciate your comments and feedback!

Yes. Try, Carrigcastle, Lisheenowen, Gardeen, Grillough, Copsefield, Mountkeeffe, Killowen, Knockfada, Gooseberry Hill, Barleyhill, Scarteen Lower, Park, Pound Hill, Duarigle, Garraunawarrig Upper and Lower (all Newmarket, Co. Cork), Tourard, Knockilly, Kilnockin, Glanycummane Upper and Lower (all Freemount, Co. Cork), Rusheen, Rossline, Puleen, Rossacon, Coolageela, Knocknacolan, Corbally, Clonribbon, Garrison, (all Kanturk), Curraghs, Knockardfree, Ballybane, Rathnagard, Ballygraddy, Knockalohert (all Liscarroll, Co. Cork. I could list thousands but am just listing a few all within a few miles of home and that is just a random sampling of those missing within a 5 mile radius, but also many, many, many more nationwide. Almost everywhere I in rural areas is "Unnamed Road" or just the road number eg R576. I would say that at least 90% of all Townlands are missing and This is not a local issue. In the last 12 months I've driven most of Munster, up to Dublin and to Galway and few if any Townlands can be found. That's on the latest 820 maps and on the previous 7** maps. My friend's old TT One with 675 maps (Navteq) has probably got 90% plus of the Townlands but Teleatlas have almost zero. In the few places a place is named in rural areas it can extend way too far. For instance St. Josephs Terrace in Lismire Co. Cork is over a mile on the map but barely 200m in reality.

One other specific issue I noticed this week, the old Mallow road out of Cork disappears for about 1 mile. Just driving along and suddenly no road on the map. I cannot be specific about the location as I have, of course, no townland name to refer to but it's around the railway viaduct couple of miles past Blackpool heading for Mallow.

Also outside Mallow, by Mallow General Hospital on the Limerick road there is a problem with a junction. Heading for Limerick at the hospital there is a double junction, first left to the hosp, then a second road for Liscarroll. There is only one on the map, if you take the second left you are driving through the fields for a while. Similar problems along that Liscarroll road, driving through the fields at several points.

Generally numerous places where roads that appear straight in reality show sharp left or right angles on the map, and one cross roads where the voice says turn left while the map is showing straight ahead, albeit with a slight left angle. Mostly frustrations rather than huge issues apart from the Townlands. That is huge for me and is the reason I cannot recommend Tomtom until the maps improve.

I recently did a Customer Service course (which TT's so called "Customer Service" staff could do with taking) and we were told that only 10% of people who have a problem complain, but almost everybody who has bad service will tell many others, most of whom will avoid dealing with that company. I am in the 10% but I have also told many others of my problems with TT and TT Customer Service and will continue to do so.

Incidentally I had an email this week from TT support who say they are aware of the problem and it will be fixed in the next release. I don't know if it's true or just more TT support bulls**t but my money is on the BS. My first email to support was on 17/12/2008 and basically it's all been "there is no problem, our maps are 99% accurate" this is the first time they have actually admitted a problem.

Mossie

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I know its not a perfect fix for all you "Townlanders" but I run my 930 with the latest maps and also kept WE 675.1322 by Navteq on the SD Card , this has full townland coverage .

Easy .

sharkman wrote: »
    I know its not a perfect fix for all you "Townlanders" but I run my 930 with the latest maps and also kept WE 675.1322 by Navteq on the SD Card , this has full townland coverage .

Easy .

It's not really a solution. This is an old map, has all the Townlands. the 820 map is NEW, I paid for it, but has none. The fact that an old map is better says it all about Ireland as far as TT are concerned.

• Advertisement

Let me get this straight. An older version of Tomtom ran Navteq maps which included townlands and now are running Teleatlas maps. As mossie said if townlands were available on Tomom there would be no competition and I would have no hastle recommending them.

Let me get this straight. An older version of Tomtom ran Navteq maps which included townlands and now are running Teleatlas maps. As mossie said if townlands were available on Tomom there would be no competition and I would have no hastle recommending them.

Up to version 675, Tomtom used Navteq and Teleatlas. Now it's all Teleatlas and as Tomtom own Teleatlas and Nokia (I think) own Navteq so no hope of a move back to Navteq.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

TomTomIreland, An option to buy new maps using laser instead of visa would be great. I don't have a credit card!

By the way if anyone is interested Galway Co Co has an xml file of all townland information for Galway County. Import it in as a POI file. I dont know if there is a kml file out there of all townlands. If nothing else it would be better than nothing.

mossie wrote: »
    Yes. Try, Carrigcastle, Lisheenowen, Gardeen, Grillough, Copsefield, Mountkeeffe, Killowen, Knockfada, Gooseberry Hill, Barleyhill, Scarteen Lower, Park, Pound Hill, Duarigle, Garraunawarrig Upper and Lower (all Newmarket, Co. Cork), Tourard, Knockilly, Kilnockin, Glanycummane Upper and Lower (all Freemount, Co. Cork), Rusheen, Rossline, Puleen, Rossacon, Coolageela, Knocknacolan, Corbally, Clonribbon, Garrison, (all Kanturk), Curraghs, Knockardfree, Ballybane, Rathnagard, Ballygraddy, Knockalohert (all Liscarroll, Co. Cork. I could list thousands but am just listing a few all within a few miles of home and that is just a random sampling of those missing within a 5 mile radius, but also many, many, many more nationwide. Almost everywhere I in rural areas is "Unnamed Road" or just the road number eg R576. I would say that at least 90% of all Townlands are missing and This is not a local issue. In the last 12 months I've driven most of Munster, up to Dublin and to Galway and few if any Townlands can be found. That's on the latest 820 maps and on the previous 7** maps. My friend's old TT One with 675 maps (Navteq) has probably got 90% plus of the Townlands but Teleatlas have almost zero. In the few places a place is named in rural areas it can extend way too far. For instance St. Josephs Terrace in Lismire Co. Cork is over a mile on the map but barely 200m in reality.

One other specific issue I noticed this week, the old Mallow road out of Cork disappears for about 1 mile. Just driving along and suddenly no road on the map. I cannot be specific about the location as I have, of course, no townland name to refer to but it's around the railway viaduct couple of miles past Blackpool heading for Mallow.

Also outside Mallow, by Mallow General Hospital on the Limerick road there is a problem with a junction. Heading for Limerick at the hospital there is a double junction, first left to the hosp, then a second road for Liscarroll. There is only one on the map, if you take the second left you are driving through the fields for a while. Similar problems along that Liscarroll road, driving through the fields at several points.

Generally numerous places where roads that appear straight in reality show sharp left or right angles on the map, and one cross roads where the voice says turn left while the map is showing straight ahead, albeit with a slight left angle. Mostly frustrations rather than huge issues apart from the Townlands. That is huge for me and is the reason I cannot recommend Tomtom until the maps improve.

I recently did a Customer Service course (which TT's so called "Customer Service" staff could do with taking) and we were told that only 10% of people who have a problem complain, but almost everybody who has bad service will tell many others, most of whom will avoid dealing with that company. I am in the 10% but I have also told many others of my problems with TT and TT Customer Service and will continue to do so.

Incidentally I had an email this week from TT support who say they are aware of the problem and it will be fixed in the next release. I don't know if it's true or just more TT support bulls**t but my money is on the BS. My first email to support was on 17/12/2008 and basically it's all been "there is no problem, our maps are 99% accurate" this is the first time they have actually admitted a problem.

Mossie

Thanks a lot for this detail Mossie.

What you have been told is absolutely true in terms of being aware of the problem within our customer service - once again, I assure you we are working to resolve these issues - this is part of my job here in Ireland, along with sales and marketing etc. TT would not have employed someone here if they didn't see an absolute need to fix issues here, and the instruction to fix these issues is coming right from the very top of TT!

TomTomIreland, An option to buy new maps using laser instead of visa would be great. I don't have a credit card!

Very valid point. We are likely to setup a specific .ie website for Ireland very soon which will make this easy to get around.

If you want to let me know where you live in Ireland, I can arrange for a local retailer to get the maps you need into stock.

By the way if anyone is interested Galway Co Co has an xml file of all townland information for Galway County. Import it in as a POI file. I dont know if there is a kml file out there of all townlands. If nothing else it would be better than nothing.

I was just trying to think how to best get this information. It's easy enough to load onto the software once the data is there. I will speak to TA again today about this and see what we can come up with ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I've contacted TomTom customer service a few times, and found they were very nice, and very helpful (though not *always* in command of what they were doing!)

Of course townlands are essential.

There you are driving through Cavan on an endless 'unnamed road' (of which TomTom seems to have many, many more than Garmin), and you have no idea where you are.

You're dying to go to the loo, and you have a vague idea that you might be somewhere close to Virginia, but there's no clue on the map.

If it showed what townland you were in, of course you'd be able to say "Aha, I'll turn off here and nip into that little village pub... oh, and isn't that where the woman sells the blue free-range eggs up the road?"

But because all it tells you is "unnamed road", you just keep driving, legs crossed, until you reach your middle-of-nowhere destination, where you hop out and hobble quickly to the loo.

Thanks Luckat, good to get some examples too of why town land info is essential, like your way of telling the story too! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I like to make it clear why it's URGENT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

TomTom Ireland - why do TomTom/Teleatlas show the M1 motorway as going all the way to Newry ? IIRC the M1 stops just after Dundalk, then continues to the border as the N1 and once it crosses the border it becomes the A1. Regardless as to whether or not it's motorway as far as the border it's certainly not known as the M1 on the NI side of the border as there is another motorway designated as the M1 in NI.

In effect TomTom/Teleatlas currently show two M1 Motorways in Northern Ireland.

Hi Zing, I just had a look on both Google Maps (Tele Atlas) and Microsoft (Navteq) and I see what you mean alright. I will feedback to our product development to check why this is the case.
    zing wrote: »
    TomTom Ireland - why do TomTom/Teleatlas show the M1 motorway as going all the way to Newry ? IIRC the M1 stops just after Dundalk, then continues to the border as the N1 and once it crosses the border it becomes the A1. Regardless as to whether or not it's motorway as far as the border it's certainly not known as the M1 on the NI side of the border as there is another motorway designated as the M1 in NI.

In effect TomTom/Teleatlas currently show two M1 Motorways in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭nickhx

Hi David,

Any word from Amsterdam of whether they plan to roll out the HD Traffic service to Ireland in the future?

Thanks

Did I mention my name? :confused::D Either that or you know me!

It will definitely be launched in Ireland, I'm just not sure when at the moment. I want to ensure all map data is satisfactory as an immediate priority and then certainly move on to new services such as Live.
    nickhx wrote: »
    Hi David,

Any word from Amsterdam of whether they plan to roll out the HD Traffic service to Ireland in the future?

Thanks

Ok... with regards to Town Lands, I have checked a random selection of the areas mentioned by Mossie. Some appear on both Google and Microsoft, and others on one and not the other - I would say they are about 50/50 in terms of representation. I have also checked some of these on my own TT and some do appear when searched for using - Navigate To / Address / Postcode...

For example, taking 'Pound Hill' as a random choice that does appear on Google Maps, and also on my TT -

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=105268936104993387117.00045d124efa0ac34be1d&ll=52.211749,-8.982224&spn=0.009283,0.013819&z=16&iwloc=00045d1251c12e6b0c495

When I search for this area using the above search method (Navigate To / Address / Postcode), it then prompts me for a street which is 'Priary Park' - Mossie, can you please verify if this is the correct information relating to this area / town land?

If this is correct, there have obviously been some improvements in town land data, but we need to add more. I need to confirm first however that I am looking for the correct information, as per above.

When I feedback information relating to mapping etc, I need to ensure I have all the correct detail in order for our product development team to discuss with Tele Atlas.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

Hi Tom Tom, I have just sent you a pm.

When you have a moment can you answer?

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    Hi Tom Tom, I have just sent you a pm.

When you have a moment can you answer?

Done! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

TTI,
    I bought a TomTom one about 2years ago and I'm considering updating the maps.
    One thing that has disturbed me is some of the routing.
    I planned a route from London to Holyhead and I ended up on scenic routes in Wales which added at least an hour to my journey when there were good motorways to take.
    Recently I plotted a course from Middleton to Portlaoise and instead of using the main roads it wanted me to go up through hills and mountains and in to county Waterford!!
    I always search by shortest time so not sure how I can avoid situations like this.
    Would updated maps help?

Hi,

Probably not a question of maps in your case, but if the unit is 2 years old, it would be well worth upgrading the maps anyway.

I have experienced that also when a Sat Nav tries to take you all sorts of scenic routes, and not only on my TT but on other devices before I worked with TT - it seems to be a question of how your route is planned - let me double check this with our technical people.
    JackieChan wrote: »
    TTI,
    I bought a TomTom one about 2years ago and I'm considering updating the maps.
    One thing that has disturbed me is some of the routing.
    I planned a route from London to Holyhead and I ended up on scenic routes in Wales which added at least an hour to my journey when there were good motorways to take.
    Recently I plotted a course from Middleton to Portlaoise and instead of using the main roads it wanted me to go up through hills and mountains and in to county Waterford!!
    I always search by shortest time so not sure how I can avoid situations like this.
    Would updated maps help?

• Advertisement

TTI

can you check if the latest UK /Ire map is the same as what comes included with the Western Europe 2GB maps. I updated with the latest map guarantee as I bought a new 730 and got updated to 815.2003 (Western Europe). Then I notice 2024 is been mentioned here but everytime I run the latest map guarantee I get that I have the latest map installed.

Thanks

Advertisement