Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Tom new UK & IRL map released today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Hi,

I'm just wondering why do they have to release map updates for "UK & Ireland"?

Can they please keep Ireland seperate from the UK and just have updates for Ireland as people in Ireland may not drive to the UK and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭mossie

Ok... with regards to Town Lands, I have checked a random selection of the areas mentioned by Mossie. Some appear on both Google and Microsoft, and others on one and not the other - I would say they are about 50/50 in terms of representation. I have also checked some of these on my own TT and some do appear when searched for using - Navigate To / Address / Postcode...

For example, taking 'Pound Hill' as a random choice that does appear on Google Maps, and also on my TT -

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=105268936104993387117.00045d124efa0ac34be1d&ll=52.211749,-8.982224&spn=0.009283,0.013819&z=16&iwloc=00045d1251c12e6b0c495

When I search for this area using the above search method (Navigate To / Address / Postcode), it then prompts me for a street which is 'Priary Park' - Mossie, can you please verify if this is the correct information relating to this area / town land?

TT Ireland.

Thanks for updates.

Firstly, all these townlands are on Google maps. I copied them directly from a printout of google maps on which I had marked missing Townlands. I hadn't seen that Pound Hill was now on the TT, but I thought that last time I passed it was still "Unnamed" must be mistaken. Incidentally it's Priory (Pri-O-ry) Park, but otherwise that's an improvement. Oh and Pound Hill is in the wrong place on Google maps, so hopefully not on TT;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

TTI

as you know, TT already have map data from Navteq in their HQ. This data has all the townlands already in it, so why cant they transfer the database over onto the teleatlas mapping??

its only files after all !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 CK909

Very valid point. We are likely to setup a specific .ie website for Ireland very soon which will make this easy to get around.

If you want to let me know where you live in Ireland, I can arrange for a local retailer to get the maps you need into stock.

Excuse my dumbness, but how would that work? I thought you had to online and connect the TT to my laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Slightly off topic question, but do the FM tranmitters on gps devices actually work? I'm based in Dublin, and head to the north sometimes.

I'm keen on the TT730, but everyone on pixmania seems to be buying the GARMIN nüvi 710 GPS for Europe. Why????????????????????

• Advertisement

T-Square wrote: »
    Slightly off topic question, but do the FM tranmitters on gps devices actually work? I'm based in Dublin, and head to the north sometimes.

I'm keen on the TT730, but everyone on pixmania seems to be buying the GARMIN nüvi 710 GPS for Europe. Why????????????????????

maps !
    tt=teleatlas
    garmin=navteq

Are the Garmin maps really better for Ireland????
    I thought the mapupdater on the TomToms would ace the Garmin yearly update.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Are the Garmin maps really better for Ireland????
    I thought the mapupdater on the TomToms would ace the Garmin yearly update.

It all depends really on where/how you are going to use it . For normal everyday navigation there is no difference .

sharkman wrote: »
    It all depends really on where/how you are going to use it . For normal everyday navigation there is no difference .

If your idea of "normal everyday navigation" is from town to town to city they're pretty much the same. If normal everyday navigation includes finding your way to obscure Townlands it must be Garmin. What one person defines as "normal everyday navigation" is totally different for someone else and "normal" varies.

I'd be using it for finding houses in Dublin
    I'd be using it for getting to the north, mostly motorway work,
    and finding parking.

I wouldn't be going to townlands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

Did a bit of a test today. Was in a real obscure part of Leitrim and had to go to a quarry in the middle of the mountains. I knew exactly where the quarry was so didnt need townlands etc. What was interesting though was the fact that the little lane into the quarry was shown on the TT maps but not on the garmin. Now if only TT could get the townlands on it would be great. I use TT730, Garmin XT on Nokia 6110 Navigator and Co-pilot on Nokia. Dont ask me which is best they are all very close.

mossie wrote: »
    TT Ireland.

Thanks for updates.

Firstly, all these townlands are on Google maps. I copied them directly from a printout of google maps on which I had marked missing Townlands. I hadn't seen that Pound Hill was now on the TT, but I thought that last time I passed it was still "Unnamed" must be mistaken. Incidentally it's Priory (Pri-O-ry) Park, but otherwise that's an improvement. Oh and Pound Hill is in the wrong place on Google maps, so hopefully not on TT;-)

Priory Park is on my map (western and central europe 820) but no sign of pound hill. Is there a difference between the detail on the UK / Irl map and this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Hi,

Can they please keep Ireland seperate from the UK and just have updates for Ireland as people in Ireland may not drive to the UK and vice versa.

Hould your horses there, notahappycamper, I don't want them separate, because I drive up to the wee North sometimes, and the 'UK' maps are equally likely to be out of date.

Ack, yesterday I was looking for Blanchardstown Shopping Centre and its Corporate Centres and roamed the horror that is Blanch for about two hours, desperately asking friendly psychos the way (and trying to remember their simple directions - "Go out around to the left, then go along the side of that pub, turn left at the lights, straight up to the roundabout, go left [damn, did he say go left or go right?], right at the next roundabout [damn, was that right on the first roundabout and left on the next?], go up to the top and then turn...")

Have to say I find the TomTom much nicer to use than the Garmin, but I can't understand, with all the improvement in mapping through Google, why they can't do a licensing deal and cut the number of 'unnamed roads' and missing shopping and industrial centres.

I'd be using it for finding houses in Dublin
    I'd be using it for getting to the north, mostly motorway work,
    and finding parking.
    I wouldn't be going to townlands

Well then youll have no problems .

The update ate my Favourites again.

<sigh>

Why can I never remember to move the mapsettings.cfg file out of harm's way before installing new maps?

luckat wrote: »
    Hould your horses there, notahappycamper, I don't want them separate, because I drive up to the wee North sometimes, and the 'UK' maps are equally likely to be out of date.

Ack, yesterday I was looking for Blanchardstown Shopping Centre and its Corporate Centres and roamed the horror that is Blanch for about two hours, desperately asking friendly psychos the way (and trying to remember their simple directions - "Go out around to the left, then go along the side of that pub, turn left at the lights, straight up to the roundabout, go left [damn, did he say go left or go right?], right at the next roundabout [damn, was that right on the first roundabout and left on the next?], go up to the top and then turn...")

Have to say I find the TomTom much nicer to use than the Garmin, but I can't understand, with all the improvement in mapping through Google, why they can't do a licensing deal and cut the number of 'unnamed roads' and missing shopping and industrial centres.

I hope you are building a POI file of Ind eststes you can share with us !;)

Can you add industrial estates?

I hate the nasty things, but in the last week I've had to go to those two in Blanch, one in the East Wall and one near the KCR. Would be handy if they were listed.

luckat wrote: »
    Can you add industrial estates?

I hate the nasty things, but in the last week I've had to go to those two in Blanch, one in the East Wall and one near the KCR. Would be handy if they were listed.

YES or you can create your oen POI's and add on as you go along .

Thanks for that, Sharkman.

Incidentally, when I was buying my first satnav, a Garmin, the next unit up in price had a brilliant facility, which TomTom really should use: if you entered a business phone number, the Garmin would navigate you to that address, even if it was up the ass of some industrial estate.

Hi All,

Just to point out also, we have an additional 20k new POI locations due to be uploaded to TomTom Home in the near future - will keep you posted on when etc.

Thanks and look forward to comments... good & bad!

any sign of the 20k !

also just downloaded 2.5.1.34 ....whats new in this?

• Advertisement

Do they cover industrial estates?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

eirlink wrote: »
    any sign of the 20k !

Any how many of those 20k are in .ie ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

I got the map update today. Lot of hassle.

I've noticed the new road between Tallaght and Lucan is there.. except its 100 meters to the side. driving down the road and the Sat Nav tells you your not on the road.
    Excellent amount of new details for some rural places but can someone tell me why on some roundabouts (esp on the n82) why the voice prompts me to turn left (where there is no exit) but the map says go forward?

I got the map update today. Lot of hassle.

I've noticed the new road between Tallaght and Lucan is there.. except its 100 meters to the side. driving down the road and the Sat Nav tells you your not on the road.
    Excellent amount of new details for some rural places but can someone tell me why on some roundabouts (esp on the n82) why the voice prompts me to turn left (where there is no exit) but the map says go forward?

Because it's the first exit on the roundabout, which in countries whose road infrastructure is not managed by id10t's, would be a left turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

So your saying in other countries where you go straight through a roundabout - thats called turning left?

I call that a royale with cheese!

So your saying in other countries where you go straight through a roundabout - thats called turning left?

I call that a royale with cheese!

No.

From a computing perspective, the first exit on a round about is *usually* a left turn. Only in Ireland, is the first exit "straight through"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭TomTom Ireland

eirlink wrote: »
    any sign of the 20k !

also just downloaded 2.5.1.34 ....whats new in this?

Good question, and one which I will be able to answer at the end of this week... I am over with the product team on Thursday and Friday to discuss this and all of the mapping issues fed back from here. The last I heard was that all the info is there, just needs to be compiled now into a file and made available via TomTom Home - I was last told this would be ready in about 2 weeks, which was about 2 weeks ago so should be nearly there!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Sionnachster

Just popping in for a bookmark - I'll vent later!! :D

pmsurveys wrote: »
    TTI

can you check if the latest UK /Ire map is the same as what comes included with the Western Europe 2GB maps. I updated with the latest map guarantee as I bought a new 730 and got updated to 815.2003 (Western Europe). Then I notice 2024 is been mentioned here but everytime I run the latest map guarantee I get that I have the latest map installed.

Thanks

I don't know off-hand but have sent an email to someone who will know! Will post back to confirm.

• Advertisement

Hi,

It's down to the actual products when they are being produced for different worldwide regions - our market is quite small so we use the same devices as the UK, in turn then the maps are also updated for both regions.

Advertisement