Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Tom new UK & IRL map released today

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭TomTom Ireland

eirlink wrote: »
    TTI

as you know, TT already have map data from Navteq in their HQ. This data has all the townlands already in it, so why cant they transfer the database over onto the teleatlas mapping??

its only files after all !

Town lands are definitely something I will discuss in detail with the product team when I with them this week.

mossie wrote: »
    Priory Park is on my map (western and central europe 820) but no sign of pound hill. Is there a difference between the detail on the UK / Irl map and this one?

I'm wondering that too - I have sent an email to the person responsible for this area asking the question.

pmsurveys wrote: »
    Did a bit of a test today. Was in a real obscure part of Leitrim and had to go to a quarry in the middle of the mountains. I knew exactly where the quarry was so didnt need townlands etc. What was interesting though was the fact that the little lane into the quarry was shown on the TT maps but not on the garmin. Now if only TT could get the townlands on it would be great. I use TT730, Garmin XT on Nokia 6110 Navigator and Co-pilot on Nokia. Dont ask me which is best they are all very close.

Nice to hear some positive reports - it really seems that town lands are the biggest issue, I will push heavily on this while over there this week.

luckat wrote: »
    Thanks for that, Sharkman.

Incidentally, when I was buying my first satnav, a Garmin, the next unit up in price had a brilliant facility, which TomTom really should use: if you entered a business phone number, the Garmin would navigate you to that address, even if it was up the ass of some industrial estate.

That sounds an interesting feature, must look into that alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Fair play to you TTI for your help. I have a 2 year old tomtom europe and I'm bringing it to South Africa on holidays next year.

Im thinking of upgrading the Irish maps too. Is there a South Africa/Europe (including Ireland) package I could get?

Also, the name of my road in my estate is missing on the Teleatlas maps and I've emailed TomTom and used the teleatlas update facility about it twice or three times. It never got changed. Its the only road missing, the rest of the estate is fine. Taxis can never find me! Does anyone ever read those update requests?

I think I'll wait til after Christmas when you're recommendations are in the maps :)

Fair play to you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

TTI
    round of applause for you for taking our feedback seriously to bring it to amsterdam..well done and its great to see you take up the challenge of replying to us.

now be a real star and grab a few "test" units to bring back...!!

im sure you will find a few avid takers here to test TT maps around various parts of ireland? and provide you with the feedback needed to propel TT into 2009.

i know its a longshot , but you never know ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Lars-irl

Hi TTI,

I've got a TOM GO 720 for the last 1yr though, I've got a issue with searching for roads or areas on the device which you may be able to help me with.

Example: my g/f wanted to go to Bewley Ave in Lucan. We done a search for Lucan(city)/Bewley Ave(Street), but got no joy. I done a search on the map and could see the road. Eventually I figured out if you type Willsbrook Wood(city) you can find Bewley Ave as a street. There was no option to do a search for Lucan=>Willsbrook Wood=>Bewley Ave which would make some sense. Surely Willsbrook is only an estate in Lucan, not a city itself. The same issue arrise with any road within Liffey Valley way. You can't find the roads if you type Lucan/Liffey Valley Way. I've noticed this issue on tons of areas through out Ireland.

In the future is there any plans to improve your searching, like if I done a search for Bewley Ave I would get options to which Bewley Ave I might be looking for in the country instead of trying to work out how TomTom has organized the streets under certain areas.

Thanks in Advance.
    Lars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭kindalen

fair play to you eirlink...if you dont ask you dont get.
    so i'll have one too please.

Lars-irl wrote: »
    Hi TTI,

I've got a TOM GO 720 for the last 1yr though, I've got a issue with searching for roads or areas on the device which you may be able to help me with.

Example: my g/f wanted to go to Bewley Ave in Lucan. We done a search for Lucan(city)/Bewley Ave(Street), but got no joy. I done a search on the map and could see the road. Eventually I figured out if you type Willsbrook Wood(city) you can find Bewley Ave as a street. There was no option to do a search for Lucan=>Willsbrook Wood=>Bewley Ave which would make some sense. Surely Willsbrook is only an estate in Lucan, not a city itself. The same issue arrise with any road within Liffey Valley way. You can't find the roads if you type Lucan/Liffey Valley Way. I've noticed this issue on tons of areas through out Ireland.

In the future is there any plans to improve your searching, like if I done a search for Bewley Ave I would get options to which Bewley Ave I might be looking for in the country instead of trying to work out how TomTom has organized the streets under certain areas.

Thanks in Advance.
    Lars

i agree,,
    the search can sometimes not return a result 9 even though its there)..i cant help thinking that the software guys were basing their model on the user entering the top level search, and thus the unit THEN searching for the street level , to speed up and refine the result.

A much better approach is used by eg Route 66 whereby this "autocomplete type " search is replaced by a query of the ENTIRE database , letter by letter. This method is much more accurate in that it ONLY returns a hit if the result exists.
    The only downside to this is that the spelling must be spot on by both the user and the mappers!

all told, the second approach is the most accurate.
    I must try your street in R66 to see if it pulls it up....by just typing in the street name.

Result....

just typed in "Bewley Avenue " on Route 66 and it returned it straight away as

Bewley Avenue [ lucan ]

thats what tomtom need to adopt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Lars-irl wrote: »
    Hi TTI,

Thanks in Advance.
    Lars

What would have worked though is to search for Dublin->Bewley Avenue or Dublin->Liffey Way or wherever. iirc a year or 2 ago I could nav to my house/street by using Lucan as the city but now it's only possible to do so by using Dublin as the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Tom Tom Ireland,

Just to say that I bought one of your products last week and have used it twice already going to places I haven't been to and in each case it took me right to the location without any problems at all.

I just have one query (I'm sure it has been raised before now): There is a section of new road just near where I live that has been in operation for quite a few years and it's not on the map. How "current" are the maps that Tom Tom use?

Two other faults that I noticed locally: While driving to my local city (I do know the way but hey, when you have a toy you like to play with it!), I was advised to go through a roundabout and take the third exit. The diagram showed that I should take the second exit which is correct.

I also noted a road which is identified (and named) which doesn't exist and to the best of my knowledge never did exist. It is shown in the car park of a shopping centre.

I can supply you with more details if you require them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

I got the new map recently and gave it it's first run out today. Very.impressed, industrial parks, new roads all on it, The ETA function is very accurate. Got me back in the exact amount of time it said it would. Very pleased

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

I got the map update today. Lot of hassle.

I've noticed the new road between Tallaght and Lucan is there.. except its 100 meters to the side. driving down the road and the Sat Nav tells you your not on the road.
    Excellent amount of new details for some rural places but can someone tell me why on some roundabouts (esp on the n82) why the voice prompts me to turn left (where there is no exit) but the map says go forward?

I've done a lot of driving last week and noticed this in quite a few places. New Roosky By-Pass road is shown off to the right of where I was driving no roundabouts at all are shown and practically every R class road in County Donegal especially R252 about 70% of it was not in the right location. I think someone is just digitising the roads from either google maps or somewhere esle. Drumsna exit is also the same there is a ramped exit and flyover there for at least 10 years and is not shown.

ive always felt that map data was being digitised from various sources TBH..

especially given that teleatlas seem to have caught up so quickly to navteq recently ( according to press anyway ) . you would imagine that the country would be awash with TE map vans if this were not the case!

i remember some years ago seeing navteq Peugeot mapping vans a lot...i have yet to see a teleatlas unit.

Yeah road lines seem very straight on their maps. I dont know why TT dont download gps tracks from users units and update the maps with the information. They only need to do it for road locations, it would greatly improve the mapping ... for free !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

I dont know why TT dont download gps tracks from users units and update the maps with the information. They only need to do it for road locations, it would greatly improve the mapping ... for free !

Have been wondering the same thing myself for a while now. TomTom Ireland - now this would be a useful feature for mapudate. Editing POIs, labels, etc.. is very useful but very limited but TT really should just look at what OSM is doing. Let the users draw your maps for you. TT wouldn't need to action every single trace that was uploaded but if say half a dozen or a dozen different users uploaded near identical traces inside a given window (e.g. a month) then TT should investigate them.

TTI

are you back from the dam yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭mossie

Yeah road lines seem very straight on their maps.

I've noticed this too. Some places where the roads are pretty straight in reality there are sharp angles on the TE maps. Navteq are much more "curvy" and truer to life. I've also noticed the problem where roads are in the wrong place, off to one side or the other.

Users calling TTI ........... are you there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

I suspected he wouldn't come through with the goods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

give him time! don't lose the spirit of christmas!

Maybe he is still trying to explain the concepts of townlands to the foreigners !! All the same he might be on for a good bit over the hols we might be able to get more out of him then !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 táimtáim

Saw PON Codes on a Garmin few weeks ago
    Don't have to spell addresses.
    Did someone say that TomTom are looking at them too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭Payton

Hi all, i just recieved a TomTom One Classic 3rd edition as a present for xmas, Ive updated the maps from the TomTom site for free I think!!, but id like to know what version of the maps i have downloaded (if possable), also do I need to registar the unit with TomTom.

Hi all, i just recieved a TomTom One Classic 3rd edition as a present for xmas, Ive updated the maps from the TomTom site for free I think!!, but id like to know what version of the maps i have downloaded (if possable), also do I need to registar the unit with TomTom.

to get map version

turn on unit
    tap on bottom right of screen ( where time is)
    then tap on version box

version should be 8.010
    map should be v815.2024 ( if uk / irl)

Was just looking at the mapping for Ireland in a bit more detail and I am now totally convinced that Teleatlas have driven the "M" and "N" roads but have digitised the "R" and Local roads from some other place and have not digitised them very accurately. I would love to know and get an answer from TTI honestly if this is the case. Anyone agree with me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭Mech1

Hi all,
    Got first tomtom for myself at christmas, XL - ASSIST Europe 22
    updated tt to latest using home and now have firmware 8.014 and map 815.2024. western europe 1G.

A couple of problems are nagging me:

1. Home doesnt autorun when tt is connected to puter, instead I get the "what u want to do windows box" and have to start home by clicking on its desktop shortcut.

2. cannot set a security code as the "operate my XL" button in home just says "this function is not yet supported for your TomTom device or operating system" when pressed. on a few random occasions it has said "you need to download a special file to use, download now?" home then attempts to download this file and fails saying "url not available".

Please help, TTI or anyone else,

Many Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭Payton

eirlink wrote: »
    to get map version

turn on unit
    tap on bottom right of screen ( where time is)
    then tap on version box

version should be 8.010
    map should be v815.2024 ( if uk / irl)
    Thanks eirlink on the version box is 8.016 and when I tap the version box it reads v725.1883 UK/IRL so by that I'll guess I'l have to update it from the TT site, as some of the street names around my area are not showing up on the maps, I also used it going to work and on a road that is over 5 yrs old it looks as if im driving through a field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

total newbe question on the tomtoms satnav in general, but my mum got one for xmas, tomtom one uk and ireland v3, and has asked me to set it up for her, now was doing some reading on their website, where they state most up to date maps on units, but you can still get a free update from them within 30 days of buying, how likely is it that this update last month will be included, and is it easy enough to update, i'm sure all will be come clear on the website, but is it easy enough, and does it require much verication of unit or purchase,

off topic slightly, also wants me to pre programe most of the routes she will most likely be taking be taking, iam going to be about 50km from home (usual start point) when iam doing this, will this make any difference, again, instructions will tell me, but since new to them, looking for some of your experience/knowledge

Advertisement