Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Tom new UK & IRL map released today

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I have to say TomTom are very slow to address reported errors.
    I have been reporting the same errors on roads for the past year.(Including all those around the Airport & St Margrets)
    Another obvious one is the cross roads at ballymun SC.
    Map update after update ignores these.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I updated POIs with the files linked to ..OMG!!!
    The ammount of errors on it is unbeliveable.
    From Finglas to Tallaght on the M50 I passed 3 garages, 2 Restaurants & about a dozen shops.
    For the rest of my day I think there were shops in the middle of about 20 roundabouts.
    Is anyone esle noticing this or does everyone just set these to not show..
    Think its time to go back to Garmin...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

koolkid wrote: »
    I updated POIs with the files linked to ..OMG!!!
    The ammount of errors on it is unbeliveable.
    From Finglas to Tallaght on the M50 I passed 3 garages, 2 Restaurants & about a dozen shops.
    For the rest of my day I think there were shops in the middle of about 20 roundabouts.
    Is anyone esle noticing this or does everyone just set these to not show..
    Think its time to go back to Garmin...

I have to agree (apart from the Garmin bit) , I have been using the new maps with the poi's added in . My god its like TT got a bucket of POI's and tossed them out over a map .

sharkman wrote: »
    My god its like TT got a bucket of POI's and tossed them out over a map .

And having tech support staff who are in denial does not help..

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Sounds like TomTom are to be avoided.
    I had hoped the map share idea would improve the maps,
    not make them worse.

What's the Garmin equivalent of a TT730?

• Advertisement

Todays finding so far...
    6 garages in the middle of roundabouts...
    Tallaght Village still has old road layout for Greenhills Road (something which changed 3 years ago)
    And the biggest move yet............The Square has moved to Tallaght village beside the Dragon...WOW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

Todays finding so far...
    6 garages in the middle of roundabouts...
    Tallaght Village still has old road layout for Greenhills Road (something which changed 3 years ago)
    And the biggest move yet............The Square has moved to Tallaght village beside the Dragon...WOW

I live near Tallaght too noticed all that. I put the "new" poi's in.
    I live in an industrial estate . I never knew that. Theres 8 industial estates between Tallaght and Firhouse on the m50

Went to Blanchardstown Centre this morning. There are 3 garages on the roundabout at the Quinn Insurance building.
    Estates in Hartstown that are 20+ years old are still wrong on the map.
    The garage at power city has now become 3 garages.. Talk about competition.
    Rang Tom Tom support again this morning got the same rubbish.
    There is no problem just set POI catogorys not to show???
    Default & reset you device.....
    Oh & the best bit...... After you default your device turn off MapShare....Yes thier main marketing feature turn it off....Amazing.

Does anyone have a contact of someone I can escalate this to???
    Its an absoulate joke.:mad:

Came trough Finglas this evening there are about 40 shop right in the middle of the crossroads at superquinn...
    TomTom Ireland... Is there a solution to this?
    This updated has rendered these maps useless. To navigate to any POI you have to trawl trough all this junk...

Here is a copy of what I sent to Tom Tom support.
    I will update with any replys..
    I have recently updated to lates UK & Ireland Maps v825.2157 with all new POIs.
    Since this upgrade there are thousands upon thousands of mistakes with POIs everywhere..
    on every road there are shops that dont exist, there are garages in the middle of roundabouts. there are garages & restaurants & companys all along motorways.
    I have spoke to numerous people who are having the same problems so the fault is not with my device as has been suggested by telephone support staff. I have defaulted my device as requested by same support staff to ensure this.
    Telephone support staff could offer no solution except to turn off displaying POIs & do not use mapshare.. The sole reason who I choose a Tomtom device was for the Mapshare feature.
    The list of errors is endless...
    Please advise.

• Advertisement

Came trough Finglas this evening there are about 40 shop right in the middle of the crossroads at superquinn...
    TomTom Ireland... Is there a solution to this?
    This updated has rendered these maps useless. To navigate to any POI you have to trawl trough all this junk...

Are you taking the unfiltered/unprocessed mapshare updates,
    or the more refined stuff?

Both...But I have been using this for over a year with changes made by others & it was never like this..

DUnno, maybe their have system verification (quality assurance) issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

Has anyone driven the new M6 yet .......... most of the time the car icon is off the road because the location of the road is incorrect and most of the junctions dont have the roundabouts shown at the tops of ramps. Teleatlas are obviously just using satellite imagery (which has not been rectified to ortho imagery) to digitise from and have an incorrect transformation to transform digitised roads for Ireland. I would have thought that they could at least drive the main artery between Dublin & Galway.

I do like the 730 unit though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Dirr-Durr

Hi all,
    I looking for other soft. not Tom Tom with good Ireland map. Any idea?

Dirr-Durr wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I looking for other soft. not Tom Tom with good Ireland map. Any idea?

Co-pilot very good from ALK Technologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭TomTom Ireland

Hi All,

I haven't had the opportunity to see these POI errors as I was out of the country most of last week - I will be driving a fair bit this week and will get a good look then.

Sincere apologies guys, I'm very disappointed these issues have arisen with the new POI file and will speak to our product development section in Amsterdam as a matter of urgency first thing Monday morning.

If anyone needs me to address individual complaints that you feel have not been resolved via customer services, please PM your contact detail to include name, email, phone number and details of the issue - I will ensure these go directly to the manager of customer services for urgent attention.

Thanks,

TTI

I used new POI set yesterday and didnt find that many errors. Between Kildare town and N2 junction on M50 did come across about 6 petrol stations that didnt exist. 2 of them on roundabouts and a couple on the N7 section near citywest that didnt exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭TomTom Ireland

pmsurveys wrote: »
    I used new POI set yesterday and didnt find that many errors. Between Kildare town and N2 junction on M50 did come across about 6 petrol stations that didnt exist. 2 of them on roundabouts and a couple on the N7 section near citywest that didnt exist.

Thanks - do you have many of the POI categories set to be visible on the device? I normally only have petrol stations set to visible so wouldn't have seen the problems others have reported.

Thanks - do you have many of the POI categories set to be visible on the device? I normally only have petrol stations set to visible so wouldn't have seen the problems others have reported.

About 10 -12 including petrol stations, hotels, golf courses.

• Advertisement

TTI,

I would also like to know how they mapped the new M6 section from Kinnegad to Athlone .... (its not correct at all) and the new Roosky by-pass ...not correct either. I'm assuming they didnt drive it.

Here are 2 major errors as I would see them any way, particularly at Kinnegad.

pmsurveys wrote: »

To see the errors set all POIs to visible.
    The worst affected is shops & companys
    Also when you see like that a garage on a roundabout go to correct/delete the error & you will see there are usually a number of the on top of each other

Got the standard not our problem response from TomTom

We cannot guarantee the content of 3rd Party POI's on our website if you are using these then please remove them off your device.

If you are refering to mistakes on preinstalled POI's on your device the please let me know if you still experience this after you have updated them in Tom Tom Home.

TomTom Map Share™ not only allows you to make and receive map corrections, but also to make and receive corrections on Points of Interest (POIs) like Hotels, Petrol Stations, Restaurants, etc. In order to receive these updates, connect your TomTom device to TomTom HOME.

In TomTom HOME 2.x, select Preferences > TomTom Map Share™ > Map Share Preferences.

In the next window, select the POI categories you would like to receive updates for. These will then be downloaded each time you connect your device to TomTom HOME.

Note: If you have purchased a subscription to TomTom Safety Cameras, TomTom HOME will automatically download Safety Camera updates approximately once a month.

In the Main Menu on your TomTom device, tap Map corrections and then tap Correction preferences. Make sure that the box next to Corrections to POI I subscribed to is checked. Otherwise updates are downloaded via TomTom HOME but are not shown on your device.

Isn't tech support a great job???:rolleyes:
    If it doesn't work turn it off :rolleyes:

My Response

I would appriciate a response that would credit me with a little intellegence. I have been using TomTom & mapshare for over a year now & I am aware 3rd party POIs can be prone to errors.In all that time I have never seen errors like this. But all these errors arrived when I updated my map to the version I mentioned. An update I paid for I might add. I choose to use TomTom because of the MapSare technology & for you to suggest simply to turn it off now that there are errors shows a total disregard for your customers.
    Please advise how is best to rectify error without me having to sacrifice the features for which I chose your brand over any other.. If you are unable to offer an answer could you please escalate this to your supervisior or someone in a position to give me a considered response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭mossie

My Response

I would appriciate a response that would credit me with a little intellegence. I have been using TomTom & mapshare for over a year now & I am aware 3rd party POIs can be prone to errors.In all that time I have never seen errors like this. But all these errors arrived when I updated my map to the version I mentioned. An update I paid for I might add. I choose to use TomTom because of the MapSare technology & for you to suggest simply to turn it off now that there are errors shows a total disregard for your customers.
    Please advise how is best to rectify error without me having to sacrifice the features for which I chose your brand over any other.. If you are unable to offer an answer could you please escalate this to your supervisior or someone in a position to give me a considered response.

In my experience Tomtom support are simply arrogant. They are right, you are wrong and there is no other possibility. It took me a year before they accepted that there was a problem with townlands missing from maps.

Still no response today from TomTom ..
    I did notice it difficult to connect to the mapshare server. Donno ifs that a good or bad thing.
    I also noted after updating that it shows only 4044 mapshare corrections in use. So it couldn't possibly be just the mapshare errors other people have made.

Latest reply from Tom Tom
    Still my fault it seems

Please let me know if the POI's in question are ones that come pre-installed on the device or ones that you have added. I will need specific details and a copy of your systems information and a copy of the contents of the map folder so I can troubleshoot your more effectively.

So to recap I need the following information:

- Screen shot of the contents of your map folder
    - A copy of your systems information

I would diagree,
    he's just trying to debug the problem

Provide the information requested,
    and they might be able to help you.

• Advertisement

T-Square wrote: »
    I would diagree,
    he's just trying to debug the problem

Provide the information requested,
    and they might be able to help you.

I know he's just trying to debug, but its the not listening that bugs me ..:mad:
    The errors all appeared with the map & POI upgrade...
    There are others with the same problems
    I have defaulted & reloaded the map as requested
    & Tom Tom Home shows only 4400 approx MapShare changes in use

From that information it is fairly easy to determine
    Its not my device thats at fault
    It is not my MapShare settings

Advertisement