Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Tom new UK & IRL map released today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Hi All,

I represent TomTom in Ireland and would be keen to get feedback in relation to mapping, POI, user experience detail etc. Please post any map issues you may have with mapping also so that I can work to resolve these.

Just to point out also, we have an additional 20k new POI locations due to be uploaded to TomTom Home in the near future - will keep you posted on when etc.

Thanks and look forward to comments... good & bad!

Hi,

Why oh why do the map updates have to be called "Uk & Ireland"?

Can they just be called Ireland for a more focused approach and to ensure that the updates that apply are purly for Ireland - I don't think I'll ever be driving in the UK so I don't want mapping at all for the UK.

I don't see any maps being called "France and Germany" - we are a seperate country and should be treated as such.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It would not make sense to try sell every map seperatly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭TomTom Ireland

Hi,

Why oh why do the map updates have to be called "Uk & Ireland"?

Can they just be called Ireland for a more focused approach and to ensure that the updates that apply are purly for Ireland - I don't think I'll ever be driving in the UK so I don't want mapping at all for the UK.

I don't see any maps being called "France and Germany" - we are a seperate country and should be treated as such.

It would be great to have a device or devices specific to Ireland but it's difficult to do in terms of the costs involved. When the products are manufactured, they are made to cater for both the UK & Ireland which in turn brings down the price, larger volume equals lower cost. There are numerous factors involved which include packaging, marketing materials, advertising etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭TomTom Ireland

koolkid wrote: »
    I know he's just trying to debug, but its the not listening that bugs me ..:mad:
    The errors all appeared with the map & POI upgrade...
    There are others with the same problems
    I have defaulted & reloaded the map as requested
    & Tom Tom Home shows only 4400 approx MapShare changes in use

From that information it is fairly easy to determine
    Its not my device thats at fault
    It is not my MapShare settings

Hi, as per my pm, the apparent issue with the new POI file will need to be addressed by our product development team before customer services will have a solution to offer.

If the new file is causing a lot of difficulty, would the old file being made available again solve the problem for now? I would need to check but I'm sure the old file is still around.

Just my own two cents on the new POI file, I activated all POI's to remain visible and I must say I haven't found it that bad. I certainly have seen some icons where the POI doesn't exist but not that many. I have been from the start of the M50 south bound and up to the Ballymount exit and definitely didn't see any POI's actually on the motorway - and believe me I did keep my eyes on the TomTom more than what I should have! Some POI's appear quite near the M50 alright but to my mind they are under the various slip roads and fly-overs. I have only been around parts of Dublin though so can't comment yet on other areas. I'll be around numerous parts of the country in the coming weeks so will have a better picture then.

In the meantime, I'll continue to discuss the reported issues with the relevant people in Amsterdam and keep you posted on progress.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

@ TomTom Ireland , I took the plunge and purchased the new maps for my TT930T , To my horror they are worse then the last ones . I will report back with individual cases , But one is that when you travel from D/A to Dublin the unit tries to send you up and around the santry roundabout and also does NOT know about the slip road at the side of the DPT . Also estates in Swords which are here 6 years still do not show on the map .

The whole POI thing is a joke .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

TomTom I will try post examples as I find them..For you to check on your device.
    Cross roads at Ballymun Road & Shangan Road does not show as cross roads & to turn right you are sent up to U-Turn (I have used map share to report this numerous times)
    In the same location there are 10+ POIs right in the centre of that cross roads.

Kimmage Cross Roads is a big one. There are 30-40 POIs in the middle of the road
    Including 1 hotel & 3 Garages,
    Note Tom Tom if your looking for these errors you need to browse the map or delete them to see the next on the map as they ar literally on top on one another.
    For example when you drive to KCR you see 1 POI but if you goto correct map error & search POIs nearby if will list about 40 all with in 20-40m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I see the construction site that is the M7 Nenagh/Limerick is fully finished and featured on the latest maps...

Here is what it looks like in reality :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59130627&postcount=21

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I wonder if there is a returns policy on Maps ???:mad:

Was out at Dundrum SC today.
    It doesn't exist according to TomTom.
    But the roundabout at the Sandyfor/Dundrum exit off the M50 has 40/50 POIs on it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

testicle wrote: »
    I see the construction site that is the M7 Nenagh/Limerick is fully finished and featured on the latest maps...

Here is what it looks like in reality :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59130627&postcount=21

I'm absolutely sure that teleatlas are taking new roads from drawings rather than from survey. M6 arrors all along it including location of road and junctions. Roosky bypass has about 4 roundaabouts on it ..... none shown. I would love someone to drive the R252 in Donegal ..... now thats a treat!

The new part of the Navan Road after Clonee is the Same

eirlink wrote: »
    tom tom ....
    stop using Google maps as your reference!

Woah Ned. They're not. Google Maps and TomTom both use TeleAtlas for their Irish Maps.

TomTom - please start using Navteq for your Irish Maps again please!

Templeville Road Templeouge is also full of POIs that dont exist..
    3 Garages on top of each other & about 30 shops..
    Its unreal that TomTom are still denying these errors.

Malahide road this morning , there are 7 garages ( and a lot of shops) right beside the Darndale roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

When your travelling on the new outer ring road from Tallaght to the N4 it tells you to turn left. About 500 meters up the road it tells you to turn right. There is no right turn, however theres an overpass in the same place just 40ft above!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

When your travelling on the new outer ring road from Tallaght to the N4 it tells you to turn left. About 500 meters up the road it tells you to turn right. There is no right turn, however theres an overpass in the same place just 40ft above!

Same as the Drumsna turn off in Roscommon

The latest response from TomTom support

Please remove all 3rd party POI's from your device and then click on the link below for POI's in your country.

You may find that in some areas of the map there will be a lack of POI information for that area. For instance you will see some POI's showing as being in France or Ireland when you search for the nearest POI to your current location. This is because the data for that category is only available in those specified countries.

On our website, we have a solution for this issue. Please visit http://www.tomtom.com/7892 to download the missing Help Me menu POI files.

We are reliant on the map data provided by our provider Teleatlas to provide us with POI data. TeleAtlas compile POI data by asking various sources, governmental organizations and private companies to supply them with information. Unfortunately, in some cases, these organizations were unable to supply TeleAtlas with such information.

There are also various sources of Third Party POI's on the Internet, some of which you can download and install onto your TomTom device. You can also create your own POI's by tapping on to 'Manage POI -> Add POI Category' and create a new POI category. To add POI's into this category, simply tap onto the 'Add POI' icon under this menu.

We also release map updates on a regular basis. You can purchase the latest maps via our website as a download or on a preinstalled SD card.

With Kind Regards,

The TomTom Customer Care Team

Are these people for real that download is not a POI file its a fix for help me menu...
    Thought this bit was the funniest
    On our website, we have a solution for this issue
    Ehhh??? no you don't!!!
    TomTom Ireland what do you make of this??
    Like I said I don't expect an immediate fix, but FFS a little acknowledgement.
    BTW that guy never contacted me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

its very bad indeed.

and it could be solved so easily if only someone took ownership..

Unfortunatly its typical of support staff to make out like its your fault all the time..
    I had a problem installing pinnacle once & support told me unless it was installed on a fresh version of windows they they could not be responsible because there was 3rd party software installed on the machine:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭Payton

If I had a choice I wont buy a TomTom. After paying for the updates Im still missing roads around my area (Tallaght) that have been there for the last 20 yrs. I agree with the previous relpy the customer sevice is very poor. Im looking for a refund on my updates that I have paid for as nothing that I can see has been updated. The Square shopping centre is just a blank area. On the road to Cavan some roads are missing.
    Can someone please please from TomTom sort out my refund. If i can flog it I will and get a Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Take your pick of huge everyday things/areas that aren't on TomTom maps.

Where is Blanchardstown shopping centre???????????????????????

not on TomTom! that's where

T-Square wrote: »
    Take your pick of huge everyday things/areas that aren't on TomTom maps.

Where is Blanchardstown shopping centre???????????????????????

not on TomTom! that's where

Why do you need a Sat Nav to take you to Blanch ?

The Square shopping centre is just a blank area.

The Square is there as a POI. Would you like a 3D model or what?

testicle wrote: »
    Why do you need a Sat Nav to take you to Blanch ?

Everyone knows where some POI is? Everyone knows some place or other!
    Using your logic why have GPS at all?

3D from TomTom

YOU'LL BE WAITING :D

But somebody else has done it, actually quite a few other compaies
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/12/18/mio_goes_true_3d/

and for what it's worth, shopping centres are big, and users expect to the be navigated to the front door of the shop they want to get to.

They certainly don't want to request, e.g. the SuperQuinn in Blanchardstown, and be navigated to the Roselawn shopping centre.
    Which is an actual error on the TomTom maps.
    Sure when I bought a TomTom, it didn't even know about the main street in Blanchardstown "unnamed road" me bollix

Anyone know is there any other brand that allows you to make corrections to the maps?

Only TomTom,
    and they made an unholy bollix of it :rolleyes:
    great idea, so so so poorly implemented

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭nickhx

Just checked out the latest Teleatlas map today (2008.10) and was astonished to see the Monkstown Ring Road already added, even though it is no where near built yet!!!

More proof that Teleatlas are adding to their maps from drawings rather than from driving on the roads... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

And yet they still manage to miss roads that are years old.

Advertisement