Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meat substitutes more expensive! Annoying!

Options
  • 14-11-2008 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

I was in Lidl today and spotted 10 meat 1/4 pounders for something ridiculous like 2.10e ... and yes I was tempted ;)

I don't know about anyone else but when I can find quorn 1/4 pounders, they're about 3euro+ for two! This really does my head in. I mean you *try* to be ethical ... but society doesn't want me to be :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

shakenbake wrote: »
    I was in Lidl today and spotted 10 meat 1/4 pounders for something ridiculous like 2.10e ... and yes I was tempted ;)

I don't know about anyone else but when I can find quorn 1/4 pounders, they're about 3euro+ for two! This really does my head in. I mean you *try* to be ethical ... but society doesn't want me to be :)

Lidl, ethical, same sentence? WOW!

Adey2002 wrote: »
    Lidl, ethical, same sentence? WOW!

How so?
    Lidl staff are well paid, they stock fair trade products, and have organic produce.
    Do you think they have special lidl factories? All the stuff comes from the same places. Your only paying for a brand.

I don't see what your cribbing about op, if I was a meat eater there is no way I'd be eatting the stuff that goes into burgers. I'd be spending alot more money than the cost of a quorn sausage.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭electrofilth

Moonbaby wrote: »
    How so?
    Lidl staff are well paid, they stock fair trade products, and have organic produce.
    Do you think they have special lidl factories? All the stuff comes from the same places. Your only paying for a brand.

I don't see what your cribbing about op, if I was a meat eater there is no way I'd be eatting the stuff that goes into burgers. I'd be spending alot more money than the cost of a quorn sausage.

lidl treat their staff pretty bad, have you seen how miserabel and uncooperative they are?
    they dont even let them use the toilet unless they are on break...
    here is an article that might enlighten you a bit...
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/lidl-accused-of-using-stasi-tactics-to-spy-on-staff-13396830.html

and even wikipedia has info on mistreatment
    here is a section pasted from wiki website...

Trade unions in Germany and other countries have repeatedly criticised Lidl for mistreatment of workers, breach of European directives on working time and other abuses. These have been published in the "Black Book on the Schwarz Retail Company" published in Germany and now available in English.[2] The Guardian in the UK amongst other allegations has reported that Lidl spies on its workforce with cameras, makes extensive notes on employee behaviour, particularly focusing on attempting to sack female workers who might become pregnant and also forces staff at warehouses to do "piece-rate" work which is now illegal in the EU. Lidl management denied the charges. No public information is given on the Lidl website about how to contact Lidl senior management and the company hides its ownership structure behind an elaborate network of front companies.[3] In Italy, in 2003, a judge in Savona sentenced Lidl for anti-union policies, a crime in that country.[4]

In March 2008 the German news magazine "Stern" came up with a cover story reporting systematic surveillance of Lidl workers, including most intimate details of their private affairs.

so yes lidl and ethical dont really go together.

its simple as this, if something is cheap ,someone down the line gets it bad. either the workers who pick fruit, the farmer who gets a bad price from supermarket supplier, or the workers in shops. so if you want be ethical you should expect to pay for it. go to a farmers market if you really want to be ethical. use your head.

the cheapest fake meat is unflavoured soya mince available in nourish. soya production is bad for the environment, but cheap to use as a meat replacement as long as you flavour it well yourself...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

The OP isn't comparing like with like anyway. Quorn is a high quality, high protein and low fat food. Lidl burgers are (probably) the exact opposite. It's not something I do regularly but anytime I've compared quorn or soya products with meat of equal quality the meat has been far FAR more expensive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Buy tesco quorn burgers? 8 for 2-3e or whatever it is.

• Advertisement

Tesco soya burgers? Quorn is a proprietary product in itself. But your point is correct, those burgers are delicious and good quality... some would say too much like meat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Quorn is a term used to describe all types of fake meat by me and a lot of people, doesn't matter if it's incorrect. Meat eating people understand what quorn is generally and I don't want to tax their minds too much with,
    Me:"this isn't quorn, its a soya based meat substitute"
    Them: "I thought quorn was fake meat"
    Me: "it is"
    Them: "So this IS quorn?"
    Me: "No..."
    etc

And thus concludes my tale of how I came to call all ranges of imitation meat quorn. :D

Meat eating people understand what quorn is generally and I don't want to tax their minds too much
    Be careful you don't imply they're idiots now.... we'd miss you.

Quorn is a fake meat and Soya is a fake meat but that doesn't mean they're the same thing or interchangeable.... in the same way a mushroom is not an apple.

Nobody has ever called crisps tayto? etc
    I think that it's fine since most omnivores refer to fake meat as quorn, they understand the term already.

Nobody has ever called crisps tayto? etc.
    You're not seriously comparing Quorn to Tayto/BIC/Hoover etc? Describing any crisp as "tayto" is pushing it but at least they're all thin slices of potato deep fried.... quorn and soya are completely different products... seriously Tar, they're only the same thing in your mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    some would say too much like meat.
    Thats a point I wonder about, do many veggies/vegans have an issue with "fake meat". i.e. would they think it strange that some vegan might be longing for the taste of slaughtered animals.

rubadub wrote: »
    Thats a point I wonder about, do many veggies/vegans have an issue with "fake meat".
    So do some don't. Who'd a thunk?
    would they think it strange that some vegan might be longing for the taste of slaughtered animals.

who is "they"?

Thats a point I wonder about, do many veggies/vegans have an issue with "fake meat". i.e. would they think it strange that some vegan might be longing for the taste of slaughtered animals.

Meat tastes good(cooked), it was my favourite food. So on that basis, it is not odd that people long for a taste of something good that they once had. It is not that they are longing for dead animals, they are longing for texture and taste. Some veg*ns do not find it to be their taste, others do.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

So do some don't. Who'd a thunk?
    :rolleyes: I wondered what sort of % at a guess, that is why I asked "do many".
    who is "they"?
    veggies/vegans who have an issue with "fake meat".

So on that basis, it is not odd that people long for a taste of something good that they once had. It is not that they are longing for dead animals, they are longing for texture and taste.
    I just wondered if some would turn totally against the concept, I expect some once did eat it would now be thinking "how did I ever eat that", and so not be longing for the texture and taste of meat, the thought of which might totally disgust them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Meat eating people understand what quorn is generally and I don't want to tax their minds too much with
    Be careful you don't imply they're idiots now....

And vegetarians wonder why they have an image problem.. :rolleyes:

cozmik wrote: »

Idiots are lucky, they don't know they have an image problem.

cozmik wrote: »

If you inferred that i was implying they are idiots, well it's not me that has the image problem.
    What I meant was that it is best to keep things simple when explaining something to somebody, use terms they know. It does not matter whether it is food or physics, whether they are smart or not so much. It is not useful to go off on a tangent on the difference between mycroptein and soya when somebody asks you about your views on eating 'quorn'...
    I just wondered if some would turn totally against the concept, I expect some once did eat it would now be thinking "how did I ever eat that", and so not be longing for the texture and taste of meat, the thought of which might totally disgust them.
    Well yes, some would, rarely. Would you have a problem eating imitation human? Hufu!
    I wouldn't

It really is useful to go off on a tangent on the difference between mycroptein and soya when somebody asks you about your views on eating 'quorn'...
    Agreed.

As I thought somebody would not follow the sarcasm, I changed it as you replied. It's pointless.

"What are your favourite biscuits, jaffa cakes or rich tea?"
    "I am sorry, but jaffa cakes are not a biscuit, they are a cake. This was settled in a court case in 199 blah blah etc"

I'd rather just answer the question.

As I thought somebody would not follow the sarcasm, I changed it as you replied. It's pointless.

"What are your favourite biscuits, jaffa cakes or rich tea?"
    "I am sorry, but jaffa cakes are not a biscuit, they are a cake. This was settled in a court case in 199 blah blah etc"

I'd rather just answer the question.

Your comparisons don't stand up, it's not pedantic to point they're two completely different things that can both be used instead of meat. Are chicken and beef the same thing? Fish and mutton? No they're not, and I'd be insulted if somebody thought I couldn't grasp the concept of that difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Idiots are lucky, they don't know they have an image problem.

You're just compounding your folly.

@Tarra

You know that when you are stuck in a hole it's best to stop digging. lol

I never said it was pedantic, I also never claimed somebody could not understand the difference. But reply how you want...
    Pedantic and pointless are different things, as are claiming somebody could not tell the difference and seeing it as pointless explaining the difference.
    Are chicken and beef the same thing? Fish and mutton?
    No, would you explain this to somebody?

I never said it was pedantic, I also never claimed somebody could not understand the difference. But reply how you want...
    Pedantic and pointless are different things, as are claiming somebody could not tell the difference and seeing it as pointless explaining the difference.

No, would you explain this to somebody?

Seiously man, stop. You're not making any sense.

No, you are not. It's ok though. It's not necessary for you to understand for the purpose of this thread, so I do not need to explain.

I am pinioned by your rapier like wit and logic.

I am pinioned by your rapier like wit and logic.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

right boys!! The last 9 posts there were not about "fake meat", our topic of conversation. Back on topic, less digs, le do thoil :)

Advertisement