Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Manager released

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Voltwad wrote: »
    Good buzz, I'm just restarting Gundo's on 09 now I think
    Going back to N.I. this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It's so quick to tell me (once I click on enter the product code) that can't connect.

That the way yours was?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

jst logged on, should i buy it on steam or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

only1stevo wrote: »
    jst logged on, should i buy it on steam or not?

if buying on Steam i'd wait a few days. servers would usually be getting hit hard for a release like this and download could take ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Oranage

Anybody got ang ideas.This is my first pc game since the last Fm. I've entered the code and its saying it's not a valid unlock key. I think the unlock is at the back of the book and I've every combination of 1's and 0's and I's and O's. I've also checked the key here http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/ and still it says unable to find key. So what should i do.

• Advertisement

BOLLIX, im only after signin into boards after buying it on steam and yes, the downloads takin ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Just set up Steam account, purchased and downloaded the game through Steam and registered the game in the last two hours or so.

SI are retards.

Still not playing this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

Steam is a piece of piss, activated me first, then installed from the CD and then began to download it, what kind of b***s**t is that?

kippy wrote: »
    Just set up Steam account, purchased and downloaded the game through Steam and registered the game in the last two hours or so.

can i ask how fast the KB/s was on average for you? mines around 25 kb/sec, and its at 4%, is that very very slow or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Download was between 85kb/sec(at the lowest) and up over 500kb/sec(at the highest).
    I am on a six meg connection. Maybe I hit it at a quiet time.

kippy wrote: »
    Download was between 85kb/sec(at the lowest) and up over 500kb/sec(at the highest).
    I am on a six meg connection. Maybe I hit it at a quiet time.

oh right obviously i am on a **** connection, not sure what "meg" it is but it aint anywer near ur beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Are we not supposed to be able to get 5 installs off each copy?
    Was in my mate's while he installed his there, using Steam.
    Came home and I cant install because it's saying the code has already been activated by another steam account.
    So it's just one Steam account that can use it?

dartsfan wrote: »
    Steam is a piece of piss, activated me first, then installed from the CD and then began to download it, what kind of b***s**t is that?

Steam works perfectly for this kind of thing. installing HL2 on dial up was far easier than this mess, these bugs are SI end I'm almost certain of it. they seem to have tried to merge Steam with another DRM system and failed miserably at it. I hope they will learn some serious lessons from all this, the games market is becoming very unforgiving of this kind of crap.

oh and for everyone not used to Steam, in your preferences/options somewhere make sure your internet account is set at the max listed (as opposed to your actual connection). that way you should get full download speed.

and Frisbee, only one instance of the same steam account can be active online at any time, as at the end of the day it's 5 PCs but the license is only for one user, so yes only the one Steam account. tell your friend to log off, let you activate and then disconnect your own internet so you can run offline.

people here should really have read up on how Steam works. this isn't complicated, it's not a piece of **** (anymore, it was much worse in the early days i can assure you). Don't be put off by it. Yes, the service has had major problems in the past, but for the last year or so it's been very stable and effective.

and Frisbee, only one instance of the same steam account can be active online at any time, as at the end of the day it's 5 PCs but the license is only for one user, so yes only the one Steam account. tell your friend to log off, let you activate and then disconnect your own internet so you can run offline.

Yeah copped this after I posted... :p

Doesn't matter though, still can't authenticate the fecking thing.
    Agreed though, this is definitely a F*** up on the part of SI on Sega, nothing to do with Steam..

more worryingly this is also the example of how excessive DRM works contrary to its original purposes. I'm sure the amount of inconvenience caused to consumers will drive plenty more in the future to simply pirate the game, and not have to hassle themselves with all this activation and downloading crap. SI ****ed up bad, developers will look at this type of thing and think the PC market isn't worth developing for anymore.

it's also funny, I recently attended a seminar on the subject of Quality Assurance for games. in the release of fm09 SI have broken nearly every single QA rule of the industry it seems.

Wait a sec though....why should I have to download it, when I already have the installation files on my CD? Fair enough it may be SI's fault, but either Steam should not have been used for CD installations or it should be able to install from the CD.
    Personally I don't like what I've seen of it.

it's also funny, I recently attended a seminar on the subject of Quality Assurance for games. in the release of fm09 SI have broken nearly every single QA rule of the industry it seems.

Would be interested to hear what kind of best practices they've ignored. I'd imagine the demo coming out so late would be one of them.

oh and for everyone not used to Steam, in your preferences/options somewhere make sure your internet account is set at the max listed (as opposed to your actual connection). that way you should get full download speed.

how can i do this? sorry, but im an idiot when it comes to anything remotely technical...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Wait a sec though....why should I have to download it, when I already have the installation files on my CD? Fair enough it may be SI's fault, but either Steam should not have been used for CD installations or it should be able to install from the CD.
    Was it downloading the full game or the patch made available for release day? The patch is 160mb so even that would take a few minutes. If you bought the game on disc and authenticate through Steam it will still automatically download and apply patches when in online mode.

• Advertisement

Actually it may have been the patch it was trying to download so, but I already had that downloaded the day before. I had a look for the FM09 installation files on my hard drive but couldn't find them so I presumed it was downloading the full game.
    Anyways the fact that it didn't tell me what it was downloading or allow me to continue to play the game if it was the patch confirms my opinions on Steam.
    If you buy a game why should you have to run it through another client that's taking up resources.

Anyone still getting the 703 error from SoftAnchor?
    This is really starting to piss me off...

it would have been up to SI to configure the game to let steam know where the game files are. I've used Steam for games like that before and I've never encountered problems like this. i've used Steam for 4 years now and have never heard of this kind of thing before on it.

but Steam will automatically download the patch and install it for you if it isn't installed already. that's what it's designed to do. so maybe that's what it's doing. and the UI won't tell you which files it's downloading.

Still not on.

only1stevo wrote: »
    how can i do this? sorry, but im an idiot when it comes to anything remotely technical...

settings > downloads

select the cable/fibre > 10 option.

edit: from the FM site
    SEGA are aware that there have been some problems with the activation of Football Manager 2009 today. This has been due to a combination of issues relating to the printing of keycodes and the huge demand for the game

A solution is in place and is starting to clear the problem, we are confident that the issue will be solved today. The chances of successful authentication are increasing hourly. At this point consumers still experiencing difficulties are advised to leave a 10 minute gap between authentication attempts.

SEGA apologises for the disappointment caused by the problems with activating the game and asks for Football Manager fans to remain patient.

sounds like they vastly underestimated how much load the authentication system would have to handle at a single instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

Quick query, I wanna be able to play this on a mac and PC, can I install it on the PC, authenticate so it doesn't need the cd and then just use the cd in the Mac?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Lucky enough to have got in last night. :)

Got it:D

Frisbee, make sure your clock is the exact time. Down to the same second.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Have to say it feels like an improvement over the demo. Still not sure about some of the interface changes. Time will tell. Im enjoyining at themoment though. Im sure Ill play this as much as last years. Itwill only improve with subsequent patches. Fair play to SI for having the patch ready on release day and delivering another great FM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

OK have just installed game, authenticated via Uniloc, and patched - all in ten mins with no issues. Absolutely painless :pac:

Now to conquer Europe with the mighty Fulham :cool:

Advertisement