Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Price of a 02 Corolla

Options
  • 14-11-2008 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a Corolla for my dad. He wants to stick with preferably a main toyota dealer as he gets the 12month warranty from them but they are expensive.

Seen a few around but they are all at asking prices of above 7k which I think is far too much for a 02 Corolla.

What would be a reasonable price to pay for one right now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Serious car's, I'd pay 6k for a good one but thats just me.

Don't cross 6k

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I was looking for the same thing for a friend of mine. All seem to be up and around six plus, some toyota dealers asking crazy money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

some toyota dealers asking crazy money.

The plain people of Ireland who have zero interest in cars *love* their Toyotas and would buy any old yoke once it has that all important Toyota badge on it.

Toyota dealers know this and being businesses they clearly aren't stupid, so they can charge prices that you and I think are high, but the average Toyota buyer is more than happy to pay(because of the badge on the bonnet), so why should they charge less when they know the cars will sell for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

E92 wrote: »
    The plain people of Ireland who have zero interest in cars *love* their Toyotas and would buy any old yoke once it has that all important Toyota badge on it.

Toyota dealers know this and being businesses they clearly aren't stupid, so they can charge prices that you and I think are high, but the average Toyota buyer is more than happy to pay(because of the badge on the bonnet), so why should they charge less when they know the cars will sell for them?

I'm going to quote that exactly for another thread, but change the toyota to vw lol.

I saw a 01 corrola liftbback, green for 5,750. Madness i thinks.

This is crazy money.
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Corolla/1.4-VVT-/200840190284316/advert

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

went into Fitzpatricks Carlow yesterday and they had a 02 Corolla Luna new shape saloon (http://www.toyota.ie/assured-used-cars/car/be83530d-945f-4aa6-87fc-3dd7af5713f3) for €6950.

Got it for €5650 (€5500 + €150) after not much negotation and full 12 month warranty. It has a full Toyota Carlow service history & 18 months MOT.

Considering its a Luna spec, we did well to get it for that price. Most we've seen are Terra which are basically 4 wheels & engine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

The truth of the matter is that the "plain" people of Ireland want "any old yoke" that will get them from A to B, without the huge amount of problems & horrendous repair bills we see on very low mileage cars on this forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    went into Fitzpatricks Carlow yesterday and they had a 02 Corolla Luna new shape saloon (http://www.toyota.ie/assured-used-cars/car/be83530d-945f-4aa6-87fc-3dd7af5713f3) for €6950.

Got it for €5650 (€5500 + €150) after not much negotation and full 12 month warranty. It has a full Toyota Carlow service history & 18 months MOT.

Considering its a Luna spec, we did well to get it for that price. Most we've seen are Terra which are basically 4 wheels & engine.

That's very good going for a deal from the Fitzpatrick group if my recent experiences of their Kildare branches was anything to go by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

snowman707 wrote: »
    The truth of the matter is that the "plain" people of Ireland want "any old yoke" that will get them from A to B, without the huge amount of problems & horrendous repair bills we see on very low mileage cars on this forum

And the Auris is giving *plenty* of trouble.

Guess who makes it? None other than Toyota.

Actually Toyota are busy on a vast and wide ranging cost cutting programme at the moment, basically they're going to be doing what Merc did in the 90s

If you study reliability surveys, you'll see that there are *plenty* of other cars out there that are as reliable, and as is becoming more common these days, more reliable than Toyota. They don't make Toyotas like they used to, yes they're a lot more reliable than some cars out there but "best built cars in the world" claim is definately outdated at this stage. They aren't the panacea for trouble free motoring *some* people think they are either.

Point is if you want something reliable, you can do so much better than Toyota; Honda, Mazda, Ford, Skoda, Ford and Skoda would be similar enough(Skodas tend to be quite a bit more reliable than their more expensive VW stablemates believe it or not), Mazda and especially Honda would be more reliable. Subaru seems to have an enviable reputation for reliability, and Lexus have been shown time and time again to be number 1 for reliability(before you say it I know Toyota owns Lexus). Even Merc seems to be heading back towards the good old days when their cars were bulletproof with the newer models.

Why settle for just reliability(as you would with Toyota), when you can get so much more(nicer interiors, better driving experience etc) thrown in for good measure, as you would if you chose one of the makes I mentioned above?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Actually Toyota are busy on a vast and wide ranging cost cutting programme at the moment, basically they're going to be doing what Merc did in the 90s

It's not just Toyota that are implementing cost cutting measures, look at Ford and GM, GM is close to economic meltdown in the US at the moment, trying to broker a deal for the US Government to bail them out like the banks, Ford are not too far behind. You can bet these economic problems have if not already filtered down to the assembly line in the form of cost cutting. This and the fact there is a global recession meaning items like cars are no longer selling in the numbers their makers would like. These are the times we live in and expect the rest to follow similar streamlining measures to survive.

As for reputations of reliability, Mazda have always been a corner stone of reliability, granded they didn't shout it from the roof tops like Toyota but their 6 diesel has had it's fair share of disasters. And we all know about VW's perception of quality and reliability over the years. Marketing no matter how inaccurate, is a powerful force in selling products across the board. "Tell them what they want to hear" as the fella says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

And the Auris is giving *plenty* of trouble.

Guess who makes it? None other than Toyota.

If you study reliability surveys, you'll see that there are *plenty* of other cars out there that are as reliable, and as is becoming more common these days, more reliable than Toyota. They don't make Toyotas like they used to, yes they're a lot more reliable than some cars out there but "best built cars in the world" claim is definately outdated at this stage. They aren't the panacea for trouble free motoring *some* people think they are either.

Point is if you want something reliable, you can do so much better than Toyota; Honda, Mazda, Ford, Skoda, Ford and Skoda would be similar enough(Skodas tend to be quite a bit more reliable than their more expensive VW stablemates believe it or not), Mazda and especially Honda would be more reliable. Subaru seems to have an enviable reputation for reliability, and Lexus have been shown time and time again to be number 1 for reliability(before you say it I know Toyota owns Lexus). Even Merc seems to be heading back towards the good old days when their cars were bulletproof with the newer models.

Why settle for just reliability(as you would with Toyota), when you can get so much more(nicer interiors, better driving experience etc) thrown in for good measure, as you would if you chose one of the makes I mentioned above?

I base realibity assessment on a car that has covered 250k miles, not on some google artist writing a review on a yoke with 10k on clock ..down though the years nissan & toyota have provided this for my family, but then we are just "plain" people.

I know that times change & you must change with them & most likely as you mentioned we will be looking at Ford mazda or skoda in the future , contrary to what you say, I have heard of big problems with honda accord & main dealer back up has been very poor

Drive whatever you are happy not what someone else likes but

FFS PLEASE DRIVE SAFELY

• Advertisement
Advertisement