Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help Choosing a Car

Options
  • 14-11-2008 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

I know you probably get these threads all the time, but here goes. I’m 20, have been driving an 04 1.6 Vectra for the past year and a half, and had a 1.4 Civic for a year before that. I have my full licence two years, and have two years no claims too. Thing is I’m tired of the Vectra, and want something a sportier, both in terms of looks and power. Good thing is, I’ll be able to insure the car in my mothers name and drive it as a named driver. Bad thing is, I only have around €10K to spend. I’ve listed a few cars which I’m considering below, but want to know would I realistically be able to insure them? Or if there are any other cars you would recommend, please list them. Cheers lads. :pac:

-Altezza Beams
    -Celica (newer model)
    -Civic Type R EK9/EP3
    -Skyline Non-Turbo
    -Sylvia Non-Turbo
    -Legacy B4 RSK
    -Octavia VRS
    -VW Corrado VR6

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

-Altezza Beams - Heavy 2l car
    -Celica (newer model) - 2nd Choice - Great car and looks good
    -Civic Type R EK9/EP3 - 1st choice cheap to run, fast and light/lots of cheap mods
    -Skyline Non-Turbo - Big engine/car
    -Sylvia Non-Turbo - Hard to get and mod
    -Legacy B4 RSK - big engine/car
    -Octavia VRS - Taxi
    -VW Corrado VR6 - Hard to find and expensive to modidy/maintain

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Civic type R would be my first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

id say the celica. iv been looking to get one myself and have read up on quite a bit about them. If your going to get the celica make you get the T-Sport model (190 bhp as apposed to the 140 bhp due to the VVTL-i)

Apparently they can keep up with a type r teg and are capable of 33mpg when driven casually!

Id get a teg if the insurance would allow but since it wont il be after the celica which isnt a bad choice imo:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Only 10k!? Recession is best time for buyers tbh

I picked up my lovely 200bhp FTO for under 5k.

Say your looking at ~€2k for insurance if you declare mods etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

Civic has a generaly bad image in my opinion - though there are people who'd disagree (it's just my opinon anyway) ...don't hit me!:eek:

Silvia's are definitely nice but lethargic if not turbo's (in my opinion etc)

VW Corrado is awesome, vr6 storm is the one to get, but they're like hens teeth if you're going to try find one under 80kmiles (I missed an opportunity 2 years ago for a 60k storm '96) :(

Celicas gen 5 are lovely, thinking of a celica myself....gen1 though!! similar to the silvia's in that the 140 can be a little lethargic, better to go for 180's or a TRD and to generally stay away from turbo/sc jobs.

I'm selling an Mr2 on adverts but recommending that really depends if you would like to have a 2 seater :o It's a redtop beams and from your history sounds like insurance should be Vcheap (even under 1400 if you're lucky) person before me had it insured fully comp of 750euro

Personally not into large cars/heavy saloons myself and so don't have any experience to share

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

-Altezza Beams - slow cars compared to the others, heavy on petrol, superstrut suspension can give expensive trouble

-Celica (newer model) - needs to be the 190 version as the 140 is slow, dont like them personally for some reason

-Civic Type R EK9/EP3 - get a nice EK9, there fast light, reliable, really really good cars, you'd never get an ep3 for 10k

-Skyline Non-Turbo - not worth even looking at, i presumme its the 2.0litre non turbo which has only 130bhp so scratch that off unless your going for looks without speed

-Sylvia Non-Turbo - again its pointless getting a sylvia unless its a turbo

-Legacy B4 RSK - big heavy cars but with good power, need to be looked after lots though or you will blow your turbo's, needs to be remapped for 95 octane or run with octane booster if not

-Octavia VRS - perfectly good cars, not got the looks but really good cars to drive and you'll love showing up idiots who dont know what it is!

-VW Corrado VR6 - lovely lovely cars, but very unlikely you'll find one

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hornswoggle

Cheers for all the replies lads, looks like its between the Civic EK9, Celica, MR2 and Octavia VRS then.

I know its being a bit optimistic, but i'm also considering an RX8 - good or bad idea? :confused:

RX-8 wouldnt be a bad choice although i wudnt be mad bout them myself.

Expensive to run. You'd be looking at bout 15-20mpg and because it has a rotary engine it will require an engine rebuild every 60000 miles!

So if you can afford to run the car then go for a test drive and see what you think!:D

lol and insurance! I'd go for the 20b Cosmo if I'd pick any rotary :D

I feel you should test drive a few of those before deciding, thats what I did and no regrets :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

I've seen trueno/levin/AE86s on throttle bodies going cheap...there a nice car that go slideways, you could also go down the beemer route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

martydunf wrote: »

and because it has a rotary engine it will require an engine rebuild every 60000 miles!

Didn't Mazda fix the problem with rotor tips wearing when they designed the RX-8

the tips are strengthened and it eats less oil, but can't comment on rebuilds, wiki, wiki, google? :P

Guys hes 20, an RX is out of the question...

Here's 2 nice motors on adverts:

FTO 2litre V6 MIVEC manual, 200bhp, roll cage and VS front bumper.
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=63970&cat=all

Mk1 SC MR2, only 1.6 but 60mph comes in about 7secs, looks not to everyones taste but I like it. His price is a bit optimistic I reckon.
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=81133&cat=all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

tuxy wrote: »
    Didn't Mazda fix the problem with rotor tips wearing when they designed the RX-8

60,000 is a myth if its a poorly maintained car that has detonation issue then yes the apex seals will die at 60,000 and allot earlier depending on abuse. There a sensitive car and id be wary of a modified rx7 and no way would i attempt to mess with an import car without a remap.
    Also there is a difference between rebuilds on the Rx7. Water seals commonly go and its far cheaper to rebuild one with this kind of damage than one that has suffered detonation damage.

The Rx8 uses more oil and is less sensitive to det issues for a few reasons also the lack of a turbo makes it far less sensitive in the first place.

I really dont know what to make out of the FTO.:confused:

they seem to be cheap enough on carzone etc.
    would it be difficult to source parts for them?

the are quite rare (around here anyway) & thier kinda girly but thats just my opinion.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I'm just after buying one of these

Celica SS-III
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Celica/200847190971752/advert

I'm delighted with it. Admittedly the car is a bit heavy(1300kg) but the engine is about 200bhp so 0-100km comes in about 7 seconds.
    Easy enough to insure also.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

martydunf wrote:
    would it be difficult to source parts for them?

Camskill and fto-ireland have everything you need and more!

Looks a bit girly in all white or red I suppose. Mine's a manly silver :P

Fto's are an alright little boat, though I'd try to go for a silver 1+ v6 manual :o or skip to a gto.. like the one on adverts, they're a little heavy though :(

...oh and you're 20teen!

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    I'm just after buying one of these

Celica SS-III
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Celica/200847190971752/advert

I'm delighted with it. Admittedly the car is a bit heavy(1300kg) but the engine is about 200bhp so 0-100km comes in about 7 seconds.
    Easy enough to insure also.

+1 for 3S-GE BEAMS

Advertisement