Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

penalty fees re VRT and Taxing your car

Options
  • 14-11-2008 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Did you know about penalties (my own was 200 euro) if you dont register your car for tax within 3 days of VRT ? well, i didnt knwo about this - nor did my insurance company Brophys - or so they said - They were really rude and unhelpful when i simply rang them to let them know - i wasnt even giving out to them!!!

They had delayed my insurance policy number (they had it but didnt pass on to me for over a week -posting it instead of calling me with it, even thougth they knew i had registered VRT on my car from uk. )Anyway - i kwow that people were recommending Brophys on Boards - so i just had to mention that they were unhelpful and rude when i called them about this problem

also - if you find yourself waiting on your insurance policy number and go over the 3 day limit - use the form on the back of your VRT form - signed by a garda to say you were not using your car - then you are saved from any penalties.
    Unfortunately, i paid for my tax on line and paid the fine - thinking i had no choice -
    there is NO COMEBACK from this!!! once you pay it there is no refund - believe me i tried!!!

I hope this saves someone a few quid as it was a real downer for me - i had paid over the odds for everything on the new car and didnt need this extra cost.

good luck
    s

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm lost. It's up to you to tax your car - why didn't you just call Brophys for the policy number when you needed it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have never heard of Brophys but if you have issues with someone in there then maybe you should have asked to speak to a manager ratehr than give out about them here.

As for paying the VRT within one working day, this info is freely available so pleading ignorance (which doesn't stand up in court anyhow) won't work here!

That sounds very very strange. I know of one or two people who didnt tax their cars for months after paying the vrt. They just got them signed "off the road" and taxed the cars as normal no penalties or back tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

Well I hope there is no truth to this as I imported a car in July 2007, ie paid the VRT but it is parked up since. Nothing came in the post fines or otherwise about me not taxing the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Who did the fine come from, the tax office?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ahsarova

there are no fines that come in post. must have been stopped by Garda with no tax disc. but usually they let you go with a caution if car is only recently imported (couple of weeks).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have never heard of anyone having to pay extra vrt because they delayed paying it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I have never heard of anyone having to pay extra vrt because they delayed paying it for a while.

It's not 'extra vrt' as such, the vrt stays the same, they just give you a little fine on top of the amount which you're supposed to pay.

I had dealings with customs 2 years ago where they called into me at work and asked me was my car the one outside, I said yes and she said I'll have to pay the vrt, she gave me 3 weeks to pay it and no fine :) It depends on who you're dealing with I suppose if you're going to get a fine or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

That's a laugh, she gave you 3 weeks! And yet everyone else is supposed to do it within 24 hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Is the OP not talking about road tax? As in the VRT is paid but the car has no road tax yet and when he went to pay his road tax online, there is a gap of time between the car being registered and the tax being payed, meaning the fine is for not declaring they car off the road for the period between registration and paying the road tax......?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Of course when you go to pay the VRT you are not going to say that it has been sitting outside your house for 7 months. ;)

I don't think unless you are caught by customs there is anyway they can prove when the car entered the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

saracolo wrote: »
    Did you know about penalties (my own was 200 euro) if you dont register your car for tax within 3 days of VRT ? well, i didnt knwo about this - nor did my insurance company Brophys - or so they said - They were really rude and unhelpful when i simply rang them to let them know - i wasnt even giving out to them!!!

They had delayed my insurance policy number (they had it but didnt pass on to me for over a week -posting it instead of calling me with it, even thougth they knew i had registered VRT on my car from uk. )Anyway - i kwow that people were recommending Brophys on Boards - so i just had to mention that they were unhelpful and rude when i called them about this problem

also - if you find yourself waiting on your insurance policy number and go over the 3 day limit - use the form on the back of your VRT form - signed by a garda to say you were not using your car - then you are saved from any penalties.
    Unfortunately, i paid for my tax on line and paid the fine - thinking i had no choice -
    there is NO COMEBACK from this!!! once you pay it there is no refund - believe me i tried!!!

I hope this saves someone a few quid as it was a real downer for me - i had paid over the odds for everything on the new car and didnt need this extra cost.

good luck
    s

If you paid your tax online, why didn't you just make up a policy number? That's what most of the unisured drivers do.

Are you sure it was a fine and not just that you went over to a new month between VRTing and taxing?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Most insurance companies will only cover an english car for a month so its hard to get away paying vrt for long

Most insurance companies will only cover an english car for a month so its hard to get away paying vrt for long

As Ive said many times before Quinn do not care if its registered in Ireland or the UK once its in your name they will cover a UK registered car in Ireland indefinitely. I speak from experience.

Advertisement