Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming to the end of fixed rate on Mortgage

Options
  • 14-11-2008 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

I have just reached the end of my fixed rate which was nice and low - but the bank in question has one of the highest variable rates on the market at the moment.

I have looked into switching and can move to another banks variable - pay a little bit more - but bring the loan term down by 10 years!

Apart from the fact that it will cost a bit of money to move in legal fees and the hassle etc - is there any disadvantages to moving mortgages in todays current economic climate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think you'll do well on a variable rate for at least the next 12-18 months. If you can drastically reduce the term of your mortgage like you say, I see no reason not to go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

Sorry for Hi jacking this but I'm in a similar position. My fixed rate of 3.47% !! is up in 3 weeks. Def goin to stick with the variable rate for the time being but am looking to shop around. Does anyone know any good comparison sites for this ?? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Wow 3.47% was good!

http://www.finfacts.com/Private/dip_rate/mort_var.htm is updated pretty regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Lowest mortgage rates on Money Guide Ireland.
    Some lenders are still offering to pay towards legal fees for switchers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Bank of Ireland are paying up to €1000 towards fees when your switching.

• Advertisement
Advertisement