Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tohatsu outboards

• 14-11-2008 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

anyone got any opinion on these engines? they seem a bit cheaper then others such as yami/mercury/evinrude/mariner... is this for a good reason (i.e that there crap?) as ya can probly guess im on the hunt for a new engine..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

O'Sullivan Marine have imported them for at least 30 years. They seem to be used mainly on fishing boats and therefore I presume that they are reliable.
    Jim.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Used extensively on RIBs and tenders too (satisfied owners). Built by Nissan IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Tohatsu outboards are brilliant imho, I don't know why they're not more popular over here. Used and abused to their limits on Thundercat's around the world, and refuse to blow up. They are also used commercially by fishermen in the UK, so that says it all really. Go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 snowmanone

I have a 50hp tohatsu on my zapcat and it never misses a beat, and it has a tough life, depend on it totally when were out in big waves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

I once had a chat with one of the O'Sullivans Marine guys about them and if I remember rightly he said they are the technology behind Johnson/Yamaha engines.......
    I'd certainly consider one if I wanted a new engine - although when I win the lotto, I'm going for a new Suzuki.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I can appreciate peoples concerns about buying a Tohatsu - they're almost unheard of in Ireland.

However after watching Youtube video's for months of the things being absolutily abused at WOT, being flipped in salt water etc. on Thundercats/Zapcats and STILL going, then I just had to have one :) - Only have 35 hours up on mine from new but hasn't missed a beat

Advertisement