Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC equipment

Options
  • 14-11-2008 12:10pm

I'm getting UPC broadband installed on Monday (at least I hope so anyway!). I chose 10Mb with the wireless option and they're also installing a digital TV box. A friend of mine has the same setup with no wireless and he said the DOCSIS modem is integrated in to the box.

So what setup do they provide if you choose wireless? Is it a separate DOCSIS modem/wireless router or do they just connect a standard router with a WAN port up to the digital TV box?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

There is a modem in the box but they aren't using it (not in my place anyway). Let me know if they do use yours as I'd prefer this set up.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 59 ✭✭sz_danii

whats the model number of your STB ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

sz_danii wrote: »
    whats the model number of your STB ???

Me or he? I've the DVR.

Thought I'd update this post.

They came out last week but couldn't get it to work as the return path channels hadn't yet been activated in the area but they were as of last night so I reordered for this Monday. I checked by plugging a Cat5 cable into the UPC STB and running Docsdiag on it.

They weren't going to use the STB's modem, rather it was a Scientific Atlanta cable modem and a Netgear wireless router. As a result, this time I won't take the wireless option, I'll just disable the DSL modem on my AVM Fritz!Box 7140 and use that instead. Save myself €50. :)

I wonder why they aren't using the STB integrated modems? They're DOCSIS 2.0 compatible units from what I see:
    DocsDiag v030720 Copyright 2001-3 Robin Walker rdhw@cam.ac.uk

DOCSIS 2.0 Cable Modem <<HW_REV: 54.2; VENDOR: Pace Micro Technology plc; BOOTR: 8.2; SW_REV: 0.3.4.2; MODEL: DC6210>>

System up time                       = 0 days 00h 20m 24.00s
    Ethernet carrier sense xmit errs.1   = 1
    Downstream channel ID                = 10
    Downstream channel frequency         = 426250000 Hz
    Downstream received signal power     = 4.0 dBmV
    Upstream channel ID                  = 1
    Upstream channel frequency           = 45600000 Hz
    QoS max upstream bandwidth           = 256000 bps
    QoS max downstream bandwidth         = 1024000 bps
    SigQu: Signal to Noise Ratio         = 42.7 dB
    Cable modem status                   = Operational
    Upstream transmit signal power       = 53.7 dBmV