Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me getting old or does anyone else do this?

Options
  • 14-11-2008 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭

*N.B. It's Friday, it's a slow day, I know this a ridiculous thread but howandever :pac:*

So a new guy has just started where I work, and he's only gorgeous (brightened up my day no end I tell ya :D).

But after we'd been introduced and shook hands I realised that after doing a mental *phwoar* the first thing I did was check his left hand to see if he had a band on his ring finger. Now, as it happens he was holding his coat so I couldn't see but I'm finding that this is something I nearly always do when I meet a bloke who piques my interest.

Is this something that other wimmin (and blokes!) do consciously or otherwise? Or is it just me getting old and coming to the horrible realisation that a lot of guys in their late twenties and thirties are sadly already off the market?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

If I'm perving at a guy who is slightly older, then the answer is yes, I always look.

Its ok, there was no ring under my coat, lunch today?! :cool::pac:

I can't say that i do it tbh. I know people who aren't even in relationships who wear rings on their wedding finger though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

Yeah I do that too now when I meet a girl...does show our age alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's a sure sign of intermediate middle age. Advanced is when you can suss out a tan line where he has hastily removed the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭wasabi

I don't even bother looking these days, I have simply taken to assuming any vaguely attractive male in my general age group in Dublin is taken. Rarely am I proven wrong. Drat Dublin and its stupid 52:48 female:male ratio :mad:

• Advertisement

wasabi wrote: »
    I don't even bother looking these days, I have simply taken to assuming any vaguely attractive male in my general age group in Dublin is taken. Rarely am I proven wrong. Drat Dublin and its stupid 52:48 female:male ratio :mad:

I'm awesome! And available! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I only do it if the girl is of a certain age, i.e. not younger than me. Otherwise I always try see if there is a ring. there is a nice looking girl in work who hasn't one and when I sussed out from someone it turned out she was married so it doesn't always be a sure indicator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

g'em, you sure you are not checking for some calluses?:D

I only do it if the girl is of a certain age, i.e. not younger than me. Otherwise I always try see if there is a ring. there is a nice looking girl in work who hasn't one and when I sussed out from someone it turned out she was married so it doesn't always be a sure indicator.

Kinda weird for a woman not to be wearing a ring...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Shelbo

Take a look & see if he has a ring but even if he does have a chat because you never know his many similar type friends may not have rings yet and he may be good for introductions!

I myself never look for a ring as I feel it's worth talking to people anyway - even if there's nothing at the end of the night you could just have enjoyed having a chat with someone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Dragan wrote: »
    g'em, you sure you are not checking for some calluses?:D

LOL, nah, they're too hard to spot with just a glance. Besides, that's usually ascertained in the handshake ;)

g'em wrote: »
    LOL, nah, they're too hard to spot with just a glance. Besides, that's usually ascertained in the handshake ;)

Yeah, you can't miss a good set of calluses. Nyom :)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

Ye, I'd always check the ring finger and it's quite depressing that all the cute ones are taken.

Carturo wrote: »
    I'm awesome! And available! :pac:

Hurrah! Hope yet lives :D

I know. My dad doesn't wear a ring but he says it's cause he broke his finger too many times playing hurling. I think as a result it's ingrained into my head that I wouldn't want to wear a ring. Just not a blingy person.

I only look cause it's nice to think you could go chat up that person if the opportunity arose.

Hurrah! Hope yet lives :D

Ah there's always plenty of that to go around! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Quite a number of people have a fear of rings so this could be it. I know someone who fitted on a wedding ring and completely freaked out - which obviously resulted in him trying to hard to pull it off, which resulted in it getting stuck, which resulted in him getting even more freaked out, which resulted in.......you get the picture.

Ye, I'd always check the ring finger and it's quite depressing that all the cute ones are taken.

Yuo should go flirt with the lads of the ladies lounge so:D

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Quite a number of people have a fear of rings so this could be it. I know someone who fitted on a wedding ring and completely freaked out - which obviously resulted in him trying to hard to pull it off, which resulted in it getting stuck, which resulted in him getting even more freaked out, which resulted in.......you get the picture.

I hate wearing jewelry of any description really and rings are one of the worst IMO, you're conscious of them the whole time because you're constantly doing things with your hands. Wouldn't wear one even in the unlikely event of being married :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

g'em wrote: »

Is this something that other wimmin (and blokes!) do consciously or otherwise? Or is it just me getting old and coming to the horrible realisation that a lot of guys in their late twenties and thirties are sadly already off the market?

I recently noticed myself doing this with cute blokes! I think it IS a side-effect of ongoing singleton status, especially as I slide slowly into my (gulp) late 20's :(

However, this is also a good point.

• Advertisement

Men don't get married in my social circle....so I look for a lack of ironmarks on the wrangler jeans to indicate a deaely departed Mammie ;)

Honestly it usually takes the production of the baby for me realise anyone was up the duff. Rings are far too subtle a hint for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Pfft, I'm amongst the youngest here and do that every now and then, only with older men... and I'm uh...checking for my mother ¬_¬

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I don't do it because

a) I don't have the best eyesight and would probably linger too long on looking at the finger and get caught. Actually he'd probably think I was having a stare at the crotch but that's a different thread :p

b) It never means he's not married if he's not wearing one. A lot of married men I know don't like to wear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dlite

Yep I do that too, look for the ring or the tan line:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

It's one of those things I usually notice on people without trying. Although I wear rings on my wedding finger all the time because they fit there, not because I'm engaged or married, so I know it doesn't always mean anything :pac: Keep getting told it's bad luck.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i always check for the wedding ring but that isnt alway a clear indicator and tbh neither is asking them directly :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Drat Dublin and its stupid 52:48 female:male ratio :mad:

Really? Crap, no Ive no excuse :pac:

Galvasean wrote: »
    Really? Crap, no Ive no excuse :pac:

Check your sig :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Check your sig :pac:

There's nothin' wrong with that..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭dontcallmecrazy

i find wedding rings on men a massive turn on, crazy loves a challenge, well crazy used to love a callenge...im now happily of the meat market...phew

Advertisement