Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me getting old or does anyone else do this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

I'm 22 and my target demographic girl-wise typically wouldn't be married obviously, so I wouldn't really be paying any attention but from time to time I'd notice some girls with claddagh rings on pointing inwards. This usually means they are seeing somebody anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It depends on the guy's age. Mid 30s onwards I'd look. I don't think I know any guys in their late 20s/early 30s, bar one, who are married or engaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I do it when looking at the older ladies, but then I start to create elaborate stories in my head, alternative lives, and wonder why such and such doesn't have a ring, since they are clearly interesting and sexy, so what's going on? Have they just had a breakup? Maybe a modern couple that don't wear rings? Maybe something else? Oh wait where did she go...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

I did spell the name right you silly sausage.

O rly?

http://www.krystlenightclub.com/home.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

shellyboo wrote: »
    We can play this game all night Shelly darling.

http://ratemypub.ie/pub.php?county=Dublin&pub=Krystal

We'll consider it a draw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Given that shellyboo's source is the actual reistered domain of the business and not some slock written about by a review site which is a secondary source I'd say she wins.

and you double fail, firstly but not using the wonderful resource which is damn near all of g'ems post to find out what her hobbies and likes are before you made your move,
    and secondly by getting the name wrong
    and thirdly by trying to name drop.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Given that shellyboo's source is the actual reistered domain of the business and not some slock written about by a review site which is a secondary source I'd say she wins.

and you double fail, firstly but not using the wonderful resource which is damn near all of g'ems post to find out what her hobbies and likes are before you made your move,
    and secondly by getting the name wrong
    and thirdly by trying to name drop.

Who did I name drop?
    What kind of odd bastard would trawl through some girls posts online to try and impress her? Would you?
    I know she keeps fit and so do I, perfect match. No research required.
    And lets not argue over differences in spelling, its tedious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

What kind of odd bastard would trawl through some girls posts online to try and impress her? Would you?

Know your target, all is fair in love and war.
    I know she keeps fit and so do I, perfect match. No research required.

I know you use boards and so do I, perfect match ? no further research required ?
    And lets not argue over differences in
    spelling, its tedious.

Yup arguing with you is tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

I always check for a ring. I must confess that I kick myself if I waste valuable time in a pub talking to a married man. He should be at home with his wife, wearing a nice woolly jumper and looking through kitchen catalogues, not in the pub taking up single-men space :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Ladies, chillaxelotl, arguing with Climate Expert is only moderately less futile than trying to find a botox-free forehead in LA. CE - you don't mind if I call you that right, what with you being such a nice guy and all - play nice eh?

• Advertisement

Ok, but my saturday night is now free.

I won't consider it a success unless there is a woman's ring on the end of my finger come 2am.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

ok so i'm back in the good books then???

You never left.
    I won't consider it a success unless there is a woman's ring on the end of my finger come 2am.

*sniggers* Gigga-dee...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 LoveIt

I only noticed recently that I check! An IT guy came in to work and we were talking about how cute he was. The next day when he came in I noticed he had a wedding ring on... lost interest in even looking! My friend who is married didnt even check. I guess she was happy just to have someone look good. This was the 1st time I noticed I did it and have been conscious of it since.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ok, but my saturday night is now free.

You really are a charmer, aren't you? Kindly knock off the crude comments please, or you'll need to find somewhere else to post them for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Nuravictus

Zaph wrote: »
    You really are a charmer, aren't you? Kindly knock off the crude comments please, or you'll need to find somewhere else to post them for a while.

I think you need to go outside to relax. The woman in these forums are more than able to defend themselves. So stop attacking people who post a crude joke or try score a woman online no matter how stupid it may look its not your place, your not their father & most these ladies more than able to take care of themselves. If someone says something these ladies don’t like they will sort him out as they are for the most part strong minded & well able to defend themselves. After all its just the internet.

I wonder if a woman had made that comment would you of been insulted. I highly doubt it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Nuravictus wrote: »
    I think you need to go outside to relax. The woman in these forums are more than able to defend themselves. So stop attacking people who post a crude joke or try score a woman online no matter how stupid it may look its not your place, your not their father & most these ladies more than able to take care of themselves. If someone says something these ladies don’t like they will sort him out as they are for the most part strong minded & well able to defend themselves. After all its just the internet.

I wonder if a woman had made that comment would you of been insulted. I highly doubt it.

I'm fully aware that the ladies here are well able to take care of themselves, and I wouldn't presume to think otherwise. That said, there are minimum standards of civility that I would apply to any of the forums I moderate, not just this one, and I also would have admonished CE for that had it been posted in any of the others.

As for being insulted, it takes a lot more than that to insult me. I don't have time to read every post on this forum, so I probably wouldn't have even seen it had somebody else not deemed it inappropriate and felt compelled to report it. And would I have commented on it had a woman posted it? I don't honestly know, because since I've been moderating this forum the only posts like that I've seen on this forum have been by guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Nuravictus, you're right, the women in tLL are perfectly capable of defending themselves, but the point is that this forum is somewhere that they ]shouldn't have to defend themselves. CE's comment was unnecessary and he knows it, but bless him him perhpas his rippling musclez aren't garnering him enough attention these days. Had Zaph not said something I or one of the other Mods almost certainly would have. And for future reference, if you have an issue with a Moderator, please either take the time to PM the Mod in question to discuss it or start a Feedback/ Help Desk thread - taking the thread so wildly off-topic tends to make the OP (me, in this case) a sad panda.

And in yet other news I was a hand-checking-out overdrive today; as one of hte 81,000+ folk in Croke Park this afternoon, and with the vast, vast majority of those individuals being of the male gender, I had plenty of hand scoping action to carry out and quietly giggle to myself over (yes, yes I did get some strange looks for this).

And, as it happens, my brother was telling me a story today - apparently there are some single guys now who borrow/ buy wedding bands to wear out at the weekends as it improves their chances of scoring. That's just 17 levels of wrong :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I never notice wedding rings. I suppose no one my age (23) is married so it's not something I think of.

So in other other perving news.....what are the ladies go to aspects for visual gratification.

I'm thrilled by broad shoulders.
    I love that little triangle that an open collar exposes, where neck meets chest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Moonbaby wrote: »
    So in other other perving news.....what are the ladies go to aspects for visual gratification.

I love that little triangle that an open collar exposes, where neck meets chest.

love that little triangle too, especially if theres hair poking out;)
    also love nice forearms on a guy, mmmm (by nice i mean strong but not too muscular,,, fussy?moi?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

lol. oh my god i always do it. even though i'm happily taken. i find myself doing it to guys i think look yum:p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Moonbaby wrote: »

sam34 wrote: »
    love that little triangle too, especially if theres hair poking out;)
    also love nice forearms on a guy, mmmm (by nice i mean strong but not too muscular,,, fussy?moi?)

+1 it's the kinda suggestiveness of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

nouggatti wrote: »
    +1 it's the kinda suggestiveness of it?

yeah, i find the chest hair so masculine. not sure what it is about forearms that appeals to me, but something definitely does. (my sister says its the suggestion that he'll be well able to support himself while he's, eh, riding ...)

Lighten up Zaph it was only a bit of a joke.

I was out last night and this whore of Babylon that I was with decides to tell me that she is getting married to a Garda in a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I was out last night and this whore of Babylon that I was with decides to tell me that she is getting married to a Garda in a few months.

Admittedly lame, but the girl was obviously thinking on her feet and it's a better excuse than most. Calling security would have been less imaginative, but more effective.

stovelid wrote: »
    Admittedly lame, but the girl was obviously thinking on her feet and it's a better excuse than most. Calling security would have been less imaginative, but more effective.

Now thats out of line, insinuating that I'm a rapist. For your information she was quite happy to carry on getting stuck in but I politely said my good byes and moved onto my next conquest.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I love the internet. I can tell everyone that I'm a big handsome muscle man who gets it on daily, nightly and ever so rightly with beautiful women at the drop of a hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

Now thats out of line, insinuating that I'm a rapist. For your information she was quite happy to carry on getting stuck in but I politely said my good byes and moved onto my next conquest.
    You can't consider your own genitals as a conquest

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

As a guy, I never think to check for this but I really should after an experience I had a few years ago in Australia. I met this woman in a pub and got on swimmingly and ended up walking her home. She invited me in for "a cup of tea" which I gratefully accepted. I like tea, you see.
    Anyway, there we were fooling about on the couch when she drops the bombshell that she's married. I express my genuine shock and she explains, deadpan, that she's been wearing her wedding ring all night. And sure enough, she had been!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think this whole phenomenon is a side affect of being near or over 30 (not saying you are g'em of course) as I've been doing it myself for a few years. Doesn't mean I actually talk to the ringless ones though, gave up trying you see :(

It is a much more relaible indicator in women though as they wear engagement rings and fellas don't, and if they have started then the modern world needs a kick in the hole imo.

Advertisement