Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-chain cafes

Options
  • 14-11-2008 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭

I've just read the thread about Arabica, and TBH am not feeling very sympathetic. Arabica, Mocha etc are simply up-market versions of Maccas. IMHO, it's always better to go to local cafes that aren't part of a chain, or at least not part of a big chain. Sometimes they're harder to find though ... so how about we make a list.

Criteria: In Galway city, cafes, not pubs or restaurants, with the option to eat there, and not part of a chain with more than 5 outlets.

Some starters from me: (and if we get enough posts, I'll do a summary like in the 10-favourite-pubs thread):

Java (Abbeygate Street) - hip and open at night
    Wholefoods place (red building .. that might not the the right name) (Abbeygate St) - interesting food
    Renzo (Eyre St) - I just like the feel of the place
    Trishas (Lower Abbeygate St) - excellent value for money and lovely people
    Bothar n Emmaus (Dominic Street) - very cheap

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

Delight - Uppr Abbeygate St
    Providence - Corner of Augustine St & Lr Abbeygate St

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Plus a hAon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

The little italian place at Woodquay is a little gem. Good coffee and the guys who run it are great. The lunch food (paninis, bruschetta's) is basic in sense that you don't get the side salad and heap of coleslaw, but they have a great selection and really good italian hams and cheese you dont get anywhere else.

Great at lunch time as it is always quiet as well. I think they just have a loyal group of regulars who go there.

I think its called El Brigante or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

That Buon Appetitto place beside Subway is pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

JustMary wrote: »
    I've just read the thread about Arabica, and TBH am not feeling very sympathetic. Arabica, Mocha etc are simply up-market versions of Maccas. IMHO, it's always better to go to local cafes that aren't part of a chain, or at least not part of a big chain. Sometimes they're harder to find though ... so how about we make a list.

Criteria: In Galway city, cafes, not pubs or restaurants, with the option to eat there, and not part of a chain with more than 5 outlets.

Some starters from me: (and if we get enough posts, I'll do a summary like in the 10-favourite-pubs thread):

Java (Abbeygate Street) - hip and open at night
    Wholefoods place (red building .. that might not the the right name) (Abbeygate St) - interesting food
    Renzo (Eyre St) - I just like the feel of the place
    Bothar n Emmaus (Dominic Street) - very cheap

I would add Antons, (Father Griffin Road) - excellent Quiche, amazing bread and sometimes interesting/funky artwork

- but now I'm afraid I might meet you there

:) only kidding, have a good weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

JustMary wrote: »

I don't really do cafes since I don't drink tea/coffee, but went into there one day for a bap cause I was starving - Christ I couldn't finish the thing *nyom nyom nyom* will definately return

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭futura123

delight is great but pity no decent seating. hate hate the arrabica / mocha beans franchises, horrible service and food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

went in arabica for thefirst time ever, in salthill, the hot chocolate,
    was warm yuck!! over priced over rated, and they have little wooden knifes forks and spoons, whats wrong with saving a few trees and buying a dishwasher, and stainless steel cutlery, or get one of MANY staff, doing nothing too do something!

all for the non chain cafes, then starbucks wont want too come too galway. i do find a huge pain happening when i have seen 3/4 even 5 euro for coffee when the kettle is at home !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

went in arabica for thefirst time ever, in salthill, the hot chocolate,
    was warm yuck!! over priced over rated, and they have little wooden knifes forks and spoons, whats wrong with saving a few trees and buying a dishwasher, and stainless steel cutlery, or get one of MANY staff, doing nothing too do something!
    Last time I was there they had 4 staff on the floor, 2 till jockeys, 1 making coffees and 2 doing food in the kitchen.

This lead to having to send up a flare to beckon a waitress over and a 15 minute wait for 2 coffees.

You have to question the management of the place; when they were in the other location in Salthill they had 3-4 staff on and standards were high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

the sad thing about mocha beans is that their coffee is excellent, i buy their freshly roasted beans and enjoy it at home.
    but i've got several crappy cups of coffee there, with little consistency

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Tawny wrote: »
    The little italian place at Woodquay is a little gem. Good coffee and the guys who run it are great. The lunch food (paninis, bruschetta's) is basic in sense that you don't get the side salad and heap of coleslaw, but they have a great selection and really good italian hams and cheese you dont get anywhere else.

Great at lunch time as it is always quiet as well. I think they just have a loyal group of regulars who go there.

I think its called El Brigante or something

Second that, haven't been in in months cause I'm not generally over there, but it was really good food. Is cafe luna a stand alone business? What do people think? I've been there a few times with a friend(Omg I haz friends now!) and it was ok, but not great. I likes wa cafe, but haven't had coffee there yet. Think they sell beer now...*plans weekend*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

all for the non chain cafes, then starbucks wont want too come too galway.

I think we can all safely count on that.Seattle based Starbucks reported a 97% drop in profits in the last quarter. I'm sure they'll guess Irish people are as capable of making their coffee at home as Americans.

Speaking of non chain cafes is Revive still around? It used to be on that little road as you go up towards Debenhams.The food their was nyomcious.

All these cafe chains and independant cafes are unlikely to survive a recession. We should enjoy them while we can really before it's Nescafe all around.

the little take out cafe across from ryans is quite special. i am quite sure the recession will take most of these latte houses down. i heard that gloria jeans or starbucks was comin to shop street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

all for the non chain cafes, then starbucks wont want too come too galway.

Technically not true. Saturation has never and will never deter Starbucks. One of their motto's seems to be to move in to a city and squeeze out as many opposition as they can without care In many cities I've visited there have been multiple Starbucks on the same street.

This credit crunch means they have an excuse not to move to Galway for the time being but during the Summer they recently announced plans to expand accross Europe here's the article so I wouldn't say a store here would be unlikely just yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

futura123 wrote: »
    the little take out cafe across from ryans is quite special. i am quite sure the recession will take most of these latte houses down. i heard that gloria jeans or starbucks was comin to shop street.

There's a brand new place soon to open in Salthill in that cool old corner building, just before the park, just before Leisureland. I think its' called Coco, which could be a chain then because isn't one of the places on Eyre Street called Coco too (next to M&S entrance. Isn't that Eyre Street?)?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There's a brand new place soon to open in Salthill in that cool old corner building, just before the park, just before Leisureland. I think its' called Coco, which could be a chain then because isn't one of the places on Eyre Street called Coco too (next to M&S entrance. Isn't that Eyre Street?)?

Yes, that's Eyre Street.

I saw that building with Coco signs outside the other day, wasn't sure if it was getting ready to open or just closed though. In fact, it's the one that made me say "less than five branches" in my original post. There are some nice, locally owned places with a couple of locations, and IMHO they are still light years ahead of the chains.

I'd like to add to my list too:
    Bankx in Kisbonn estate. I believe it used to be a pub, but it's definitely a cafe now, downstairs at least.
    Cafe L-<<something - luna, maybe>> in Briarhill business park - lovely light interior

coco cafe aint that great in eyre square, very bland and uninspired!!!! I doubt the new one in salthill will be much better. we need an italian run cafe like the one of dame street, dublin, the name of which escapes me but does fantastic coffee and food. Crescenzi maybe?? not 100% sure if that is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dockfive

I know this post is all about bashing the chains but credit where credit is due, the Mocha guy at the Galway market on a Saturday morning does a great coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Roscoes on Eglinton street anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Sea Devils wrote: »
    so I wouldn't say a store here would be unlikely just yet

it's probably closer to happening than you think. I know during the Summer they were in discussions with a local operator to open a premises somewhere in Galway. Dunno if they are still ongoing or not (I've been out of the loop at bit since I've moved to Dublin) and how their plans for expansion have been impacted by the global recession. But they do seem to have something of an aggressive long term plan for the Irish market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Dockfive wrote: »
    I know this post is all about bashing the chains but credit where credit is due, the Mocha guy at the Galway market on a Saturday morning does a great coffee.

Nope, this thread is all about giving us alternatives to the chains!

There's another totally separate one for bashing them.

Advertisement