Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner

Options
  • 14-11-2008 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Guys,
    I have been a fan of the UFC for the past couple of years and really admire the training those guys put in, intense or what.
    I was half thinking about joining a locla gym to try and learn the basics.

What level of training is involved at the beginners stage - I would like to lean a few moves to gain a better understanding of what happens in the ring but also get fit \ lose some weight.

Do most classes work on basic moves or is there a tough training program involved as well?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

Whereabouts are you based and we can point you towards a gym nearest to you for starters anyway...

You'd learn basic moves etc and build on that. There'd be probably a decent training routine / warm-up / circuit training at the start of the class...

As a beginner, you won't be thrown to the wolves either, so don't worry about that! Just enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭testing_times

Hey,
    I am based in Ballsbridge.
    I would be interested in the basic moves and talking it from there but the main motivation would be getting fit\weight loss etc - which I know is in my own hands.
    I think if I was part of a class that required some commitment i would be more inclined to go every week rather then pushing myself to the gym in the evenings after work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭cactus jack

hi all,
    i only took up a mma class recently in dcu [students only sorry] it's a mix of jiujitsu & kickboxing mainly but the warm up [especially pummeling] is a hell of a way of getting you in shape but your gonna be looking at doing it a long time for weight loss as it seems to build muscle more than lose weight. this is speaking from my vast 4 weeks of experience, lol. it's great fun, you learn a fair few moves & it really comes into it's own when you start rolling in jiujitsu.
    ronan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

What level of training is involved at the beginners stage - I would like to lean a few moves to gain a better understanding of what happens in the ring but also get fit \ lose some weight.

Do most classes work on basic moves or is there a tough training program involved as well?

Cheers.

Underlying trend for training in Ireland is, you train as hard as you want to, and wont be forced to anything your not comfortable with. If you are looking to have a better understanding of what happens in MMA matches, I would try some grappling classes, but remember to leave your ego at the door, cos your gonna be tapping!

it's one that catches alot of people out is leaving the ego outside but for me i've learned so much from having to tap than taping others.

• Advertisement

The ego thing wouldn't be a problem.
    I guess you would get some guys that are naturally big and strong thinking that size and power will out-do skill all the time. Anybody that has any interest in the sport will know that isn't the case.

I guess it's a humbling experience being thrown around the place by somebody half your size.

i understand the weight loss etc needs alot more attention then just doing a couple of light work out classes but I think it would add some motivation etc to outside the gym that would push me forward to reach my goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

Hey,
    I am based in Ballsbridge.
    the main motivation would be getting fit\weight loss etc - which I know is in my own hands.
    I think if I was part of a class that required some commitment i would be more inclined to go every week rather then pushing myself to the gym in the evenings after work.

For fitness / weight loss MAs can be great. And if you're a bit bored etc with the gym, then I agree classes are great to push yourself the extra bit. Of course there's other sports out there too that would be good for fitness, weight loss etc, but presuming you're interested in MMA, below are a few links. There's none that handy for Ballsbridge though so may depend on how willing you are to travel...
    I'm not sure what other MA's are nearer Ballsbridge that you might also like to try out to see what you think of them...A MA with a decent competitive / sporting element should give you a good workout re fitness & weight loss.

MMA sites:
    www.ko-martialarts.com (glasnevin)
    www.spartanmma.com (tallaght)
    www.nextgenerationireland.com (loughlinstown)
    www.sbgireland.com (long mile rd)
    www.mmaireland.com (richmond rd, d3)

www.defendu.ie (BJJ only, Fairview)

Good luck,

Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

TKD SC has put up most of the main ones. I'd like to add BJJ in pinnacle gym on Harcourt Street, that is only 20 minutes walk from Ballsbridge. Also if the guy is a UCD alumni he can join UCD MMA. He has to be an alumni though and get clearance from the club and college to train.

Cheers TDK,
    I will have a look at those sites and do a general search fir gyms in the class.

From what you have said a basic class with room for improvement\progression is exactly what I am looking for.

At the moment I play a bit of football during the week, nothing mental just a social league but it helps stretch the legs - I guess having a class to attend with a solid structure in place would help with the motivation side of things, bench marking yourself against others I feel is a great motivation and guide to the level of improvement.
    cheers.

Does Pinnacle gym have all the exercise machines, bikes, rowers etc or is it pure weights.
    I am a member of a local gym at the moment, Jackie Skelly's there is nothing wrong with it really but think it would be better to be part of a gym that I could go to for general exercise \ cardio with some with some weights and MMA or BJJ thrown into the mix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Does Pinnacle gym have all the exercise machines, bikes, rowers etc or is it pure weights.
    I am a member of a local gym at the moment, Jackie Skelly's there is nothing wrong with it really but think it would be better to be part of a gym that I could go to for general exercise \ cardio with some with some weights and MMA or BJJ thrown into the mix.

I have never been there but I have heard that they have all the cardio equipment. It is a gym centred on lifting but offers everything. You would get a good answer on the fitness forum, the gym's owner posts there sometimes as well.

Good luck

Cheers Prize_Fighter,
    I will be around that area at the weekend so will just call in and see what the setup is like.
    From what I have read it sounds good.

Two treadmills, an exercise bike,one or two rowing machines, and stepper.

after 4 weeks i'm rolling and not doing to bad [well in my opinion but still way to many mistakes] here's a video from last monday if you need any encouragement. looks hard but is surprisingly great fun. i'm the one in the blue socks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzr1qIWjRXw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

Sorry to go off topic OP,

Cactus Jack, could you PM me the details of the DCU MMA club committee? I couldn't find it anywhere on the DCU site. Cheers.

after 4 weeks i'm rolling and not doing to bad [well in my opinion but still way to many mistakes] here's a video from last monday if you need any encouragement. looks hard but is surprisingly great fun. i'm the one in the blue socks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzr1qIWjRXw

looking good for 4 weeks, keep it up. I didnt even know there was jitz in DCU

it's under mma but is mainly kickboxing & jiujitsu. i think my watching of loads of ufc & perhaps some of my days watching pro wrestling has helped a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭RNCFAN

it's under mma but is mainly kickboxing & jiujitsu. i think my watching of loads of ufc & perhaps some of my days watching pro wrestling has helped a bit

LOL! :pac:

But good show on your video man - 4 weeks in thats no bad, no bad at all.

have to admit got a bit lost when i'm stacked & pulling on his arm with one foot behine his head & one under his chin. i think i've watched the vid to many times trying to figure out what i could've done different.

Advertisement