Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off to Rome to ge Iphone

• 14-11-2008 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭

Ok after reading these forums and chatting to people here, ive decided that im goin to italy for a short 3 day break and while im there will pick up an iphone 3g as they are unlocked etc...

if any1 has done this could they please advise me....

is it straight forward..i.e just go in to TIM or Voda ask for pre pay iphone 3g , pay and leave?

can i then immediately place my irish 3 USIM into it or do i have to do anything else??

should i get the 8 or 16 gig..? i hear people say they access all their music remotely through iphones so is there any real need for the 16gig??

Thanks every1.

p.s can i count on shops in rome have stock?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

1. Put in the SIM and it will work straight away.

2. Enter shop, iPhone please, hand in the cash, fill a few PAYG details in and leave.

3. 16GB, you'll regret it if you don't - it's nice knowing the space is there.

4. Defiantely, the rush is gone, there will be a tonne of stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

hi , thanks for the feedback//

just one thing..i read on some forums that you have to 'activate' the phone through itunes...and if i do this in italy , i will then need an italian credit card...others say no need for this step..just throw ur suim in and that it..

so do u know if its ok to start using it there in italy with my irish sim(as i want to make sure its all working good)...or is there a danger that if i do this it wont work when i get home as it was activated in italy??

also i hear they arent strict on the whole showing id to show you are an italian national...this true??

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

It wont require activation since it's not a Bill phone, pay in cash like buying any other PAYG phone.

Anyway, you can always bypass activation by Jailbreaking.

It's fine to use it anywhere you want, I wouldn't advice roaming though, costs a fortune.

The won't be strict anywhere with PAYG, they just want the sale!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

cojomo2 wrote: »
    hi , thanks for the feedback//

just one thing..i read on some forums that you have to 'activate' the phone through itunes...and if i do this in italy , i will then need an italian credit card...others say no need for this step..just throw ur suim in and that it..

so do u know if its ok to start using it there in italy with my irish sim(as i want to make sure its all working good)...or is there a danger that if i do this it wont work when i get home as it was activated in italy??

also i hear they arent strict on the whole showing id to show you are an italian national...this true??

cheers

cojomo i wouldn't worry about the italian national thing we are all EU citizens right? would seem very hard for them to restrict the sale to italians maybe im wrong though.
    you will have to activate the phone for it work yeah but i think it depends more on your itunes account which can only be an irish one when you create it with you irish credit card, again im not 100% sure

ok im very confused...

i just rang carphonewarehouse and they told me regardless of which iphone 3g i buy, bill pay or speakeasy, that i will have to ''activate'' the phone via itunes which will require my creditcard.

so i can only assume that the same goes for all i phones, that they have to be activated in this way..

so wouldnt i be rite in sayin that when i buy my iphone in italy, i will have to activate it in this way..and not just simply pop my irish bill pay simcard in it...?

and if so..can i activate it in italy with my irish credit card via itunes or is it best to do that on my return to ireland?

if any1 has experience with this id really appreciate their advice

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Carphonewarehouse said that because over here the phone is locked to o2, and you must activate it to use it on the o2 Network. No activation is required with an unlocked iphone, as it is already 'active'

great.. are u sure about this? thanks a lot for the info..

so i can pop my irish bill pay 3 sim in it straight away in italy..and it will continue to work when i get home??

do i even need an itunes a/c then at all ? i.e will the phone work with 2g and 3g for calls and we surfing without an i tunes a/c??

cheers mate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

great.. are u sure about this? thanks a lot for the info..

so i can pop my irish bill pay 3 sim in it straight away in italy..and it will continue to work when i get home??

do i even need an itunes a/c then at all ? i.e will the phone work with 2g and 3g for calls and we surfing without an i tunes a/c??

cheers mate

if its not, its like i said cojomo you have to activate the phone with itunes for your app store account( Im nearly certain now this is the case) in which case using your irish credit card + irish address will tie you to the irish app store

if this was the case..

could i sign up with itunes rite now...and then when i get mt iphone in italy in a couple weeks..just put my irish billpay sim in it while im there in italy and it will work straight away there and also work when i get home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Ok after reading these forums and chatting to people here, ive decided that im goin to italy for a short 3 day break and while im there will pick up an iphone 3g as they are unlocked etc.

Did you happen to find out how much they cost in Rome?
    Cheers.

• Advertisement

boc121 wrote: »
    Did you happen to find out how much they cost in Rome?
    Cheers.

8 gig 499 euro

16gig 569 euro

Ok im still not clear..if any1 is 100% sure can they please reply to this straightforward question::

Do you need a valid itunes account to 'activate' a factory unlocked iphone3g from italy!!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

dont know about activating it but for downlaoding apps you will need a itunes account. what is your problem with having a itunes account anyway? They will only charge you when you buy song or a app but most of the good apps are free anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

You dont need to input your credit card details to activate the iphone, I didnt, there is an option, on the page that lets you skip that section.

ok but is it ok to activate it in italy with my irish sim? and do i need an itune ac to do this??

i read somewhere that if u activate it in italy then maybe it wont work when i bring it back to ireland...but they wernt sure..does any1 know anything about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

ok but is it ok to activate it in italy with my irish sim? and do i need an itune ac to do this??
    yes. yes.
    i read somewhere that if u activate it in italy then maybe it wont work when i bring it back to ireland...but they wernt sure..does any1 know anything about this?
    bull

thank for the reply..so despite what some are sayin,..i deffo do need an itunes ac to activate this italian phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭steven22

thank for the reply..so despite what some are sayin,..i deffo do need an itunes ac to activate this italian phone?

deffo LOL

how much clarification do you need? YOU CAN USE THE IPHONE WHEN IN ITALY AND IF YOU COME ACROSS ANY PROBLEMS WHEN YOU ARE BACK IN IRELAND THEN YOU CAN RESET THE PHONE TO DEFAULT SETTINGS SO YOU WILL NOT "BREAK" YOUR GADGET!
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭partypiper

cojomo2, you'd probably be better off spending 569 on anxiety medication

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

ok im very confused...

i just rang carphonewarehouse and they told me regardless of which iphone 3g i buy, bill pay or speakeasy, that i will have to ''activate'' the phone via itunes which will require my creditcard.

so i can only assume that the same goes for all i phones, that they have to be activated in this way..

so wouldnt i be rite in sayin that when i buy my iphone in italy, i will have to activate it in this way..and not just simply pop my irish bill pay simcard in it...?

and if so..can i activate it in italy with my irish credit card via itunes or is it best to do that on my return to ireland?

if any1 has experience with this id really appreciate their advice

cheers

As I told you in your other thread, there is NO need to activate the iPhone.

• Advertisement

Ok im still not clear..if any1 is 100% sure can they please reply to this straightforward question::

Do you need a valid itunes account to 'activate' a factory unlocked iphone3g from italy!!?

Anyone? Did you not believe all I said over the past few days?

You buy it. You will need ID.

Remove from box, pop your Irish SIM in. It will work.

For a laff, remove that SIM, pop any other SIM in, it too will work.

No need to activate, no need for jailbreaking, no problems.

As the old saying goes, "it works straight out of the box".

To use the app store, you will eventually need to create an account with iTunes which you can do from anywhere in the world.

To use the phone, just pop a SIM in.

if this was the case..

could i sign up with itunes rite now...and then when i get mt iphone in italy in a couple weeks..just put my irish billpay sim in it while im there in italy and it will work straight away there and also work when i get home?

You can sign up with iTunes anytime you want (in a democracy), iPhone ownership is not required.

NO_YOU_DON'T

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

so wheres cojomo2?

He's either on a plane to Italy or his head exploded. I know mine nearly did after reading this thread..
    ..so... do you need.. just kidding ;)

quintron wrote: »
    so wheres cojomo2?

He's either on a plane to Italy or his head exploded. I know mine nearly did after reading this thread..
    ..so... do you need.. just kidding ;)

I'm picturing the scene in the iPhone shoppee in Roma.......:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

That was tough going.

bigkev49 wrote: »
    That was tough going.

Ooops, I'm going to take the blame for this a bit and let's give Cojones2 a break. He actually PM'd me on the subject and I've only just seen his message.

PS -I'd get it from TIM rather than Voodoofone, Cojones2.

Na my head hasnt exploded yet\1thos i have had pretty bad head aches lately!

thanks for all the replys..i dont usually spend anywhere near 500 on a phone so just wanted to be safe and make sure i knew what i was doing..i hear so many conflicting things on this issue,,anyways..

culbula..thanks for the advice and info, you have put my mind at rest!

now just to find some other gadget to get obsessed with...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Best of luck with your new phone cojomo2. You deserve it! Ciao.

Advertisement