Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New High Spec cards ?

Options
  • 14-11-2008 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Any news on new cards by nvidia or ATi ? lookin to get my hands on a top of the range card but want to wait for the latest release.....

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

Nvidia are rumoured to release a 55nm refreash of the gtx260 and gtx 280, some say before christmas.
    They'll be called gtx 270 and gtx 290 by all accounts

On a side note theres talk of directX11 being released in 2009 early enough, how is that seein as theres not many games released using dx10?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

only a fool with too much money and little wit would wait patiently for DX11

DX10 is only starting to become mainstream, the first revisions of DX11 cards will be in some way flawed. they will be. history has shown us this. By the tim eyou wait and get all hyped up and buy ur DX11 card, it will be stupidly expensive and probably underperform.

just get a top of the line card now. theres nothin remotly wrong with the HD4870 or the X2 version. sheesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Latest is not greatest in the wide world of ware. Not only does top of the line cost through the nose but you become essentially a beta tester; a phase devs rush through in order to get their card on the market faster. usually the newest cards have the worst of driver support. Do yourself a favor and get something thats tried, tested and affordable, like the 4870 X2

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

only a fool with too much money and little wit would wait patiently for DX11.

Sheesh! I wasn't makin a reccomendation to wait for a dx11 card I only asked why microsoft are pushing directx11 when theres only 15 - 20 games in existance that use directx10
    Its not as if microsoft are makin money off new high end graphics cards from Nvidia & ATI...................

Rumour abound that nvidia is getting geared to respond to the 4800 threat with price slashes before christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Sheesh! I wasn't makin a reccomendation to wait for a dx11 card I only asked why microsoft are pushing directx11 when theres only 15 - 20 games in existance that use directx10
    Its not as if microsoft are makin money off new high end graphics cards from Nvidia & ATI...................

Reason why is there's a huge advantage in games for dx11.
    Finally Dx will be multi-core optimised, faster shadings etc..
    Feckall DX10 games out there as most developers prefer now to wait for dx11 rather than the hassle of doing dx10 games.
    MS know this and that's why they're pushing dx11.
    Bad news is current cards will not be dx11 compliant. And knowing Nvidia who launched dx10 cards without being able to code for them I'd steer clear of them.
    ATI look like they could win the dx11 but who knows at the end of the day.
    At present 4870X2 is the best card out there.
    Although the GTX280's are down around the €390 mark so worth a go as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

It's this madness that made me abandon pc games and get an xbox.

cml387 wrote: »
    It's this madness that made me abandon pc games and get an xbox.
    Its only madness when you try to stay at the top of the curve, and only worthwhile to go console if you use your pc purely for gaming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Overheal wrote: »
    Its only madness when you try to stay at the top of the curve, and only worthwhile to go console if you use your pc purely for gaming

Who uses a pc just for gaming alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

A faster -single GPU- ATI card would be nice, something like the GTX280 is to the 260. The 4870x2 is like the 9800GX2 in implementation and lack of elegance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement