Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to spot a crap game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Wow Far cry 2 nearly falls into all those catagories, hate the f-ing game!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 free games

Hogzy wrote: »
    Wow Far cry 2 nearly falls into all those catagories, hate the f-ing game!!!!

yea, that game does sort of suck

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Far Cry's biggest failing for me was its lack of variety. It's the same reason I prefered san andreas over GTA4, too many of the missions are based on the one idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Also, when I look at that list I think of Kane and Lynch or a lot of EA games which are advertised on TV. I remember seeing the K&L trailers, all pre-rendered cinematics and thinking "wow, that looks cool but no gameplay means it will probably be crap!".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It includes an earlier year in the title (eg FIFA 2005)
    You try telling any hardcore fighter that the KOF series is bad.
    Ref: KOF '98 is still revered.

I will, however, excuse you if you change it to:
    It includes a sports franchise in the title (eg FIFA, NBA, etc)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭lt_cmdr_worf

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You try telling any hardcore fighter that the KOF series is bad.
    Ref: KOF '98 is still revered.

I will, however, excuse you if you change it to:

Whoops, I forgot about KOF. Well, there are exceptions to that rule.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

On the other hand I remember the previews of God of War being pretty damning which is why I was surprised by the postive reviews it got. They complained about using too much QTE's and the gameplay not being as technical as other games and then it turns out to be brilliant. I really do like being surprised by a good game :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

You'll spot a **** game first of all by the developers. Nevermind the publisher, figure out the developer and if your into gaming you'll have an idea of their previous track record. Example - Koei, developer from Korea or Japan, does games like Dynasty Warriors. Doesn't have big advertising budget like EA but makes some good games all the same. Then you get something like *shudder* Southpeak Games, makers of that excellent ARPG (or whatever the **** it is supposed to be) Two Worlds, which likened itself on the back of the box to another ARPG which escapes my memory right now.

Any decent game which has the confidence of it's makers will never liken itself to a game which already has a god-like reputation itself it's a shameless move on a certain genre and more importantly on a certain customer. I wouldn't trust reviews either, not since I read the reviews of Resident Evil 3 years ago.

That game was supposed to be THE game and the reality was quite sobering, nothing like the previous games, very saddening. Trust nobody folks, nobody.

Assassins Creed also comes to mind!!!! That whole game is just cinematics lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    On the other hand I remember the previews of God of War being pretty damning which is why I was surprised by the postive reviews it got. They complained about using too much QTE's and the gameplay not being as technical as other games and then it turns out to be brilliant. I really do like being surprised by a good game :)

Yeh true. I remember a few months ago Eurogamer were very critical of Fallout3 in previews. I thought it was going to get a 7 or 8. Then they turn around a give it a 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Numberical scores.
    Get rid of them, for the love of our maturing (or is it?) medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

usually any franchanise taken over by EA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Any game with the word "Spiderman" in the title usually

Any game with the word "Spiderman" in the title usually

Or any game based on a movie... Dont confuse with movies based on games as the games theyre based on are usually brilliant games

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

if i dont buy a game when its first released the best indicator that a game is crap is in the pre-owned section.

You always get the smell of crap off a game that has loads of copies in the pre-owned section. I think the last perfect dark for the xbox 360 must have been pretty crap because my local gamestop has a neverending supply of pre-owned versions.

Darkener wrote: »
    if i dont buy a game when its first released the best indicator that a game is crap is in the pre-owned section.

You always get the smell of crap off a game that has loads of copies in the pre-owned section. I think the last perfect dark for the xbox 360 must have been pretty crap because my local gamestop has a neverending supply of pre-owned versions.

Good point actually!!!
    i remember one week after assassins creed. There were loads on the pre owned shelves after just ONE week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Skippy65

Hogzy wrote: »
    Or any game based on a movie... Dont confuse with movies based on games as the games theyre based on are usually brilliant games

The game Quantum of Solace is quite good particularly the multiplayer, really addictive. Well its a lot better than far cry 2 anyway.

Skippy65 wrote: »
    its a lot better than far cry 2 anyway.

Ya Far cry 2 is an absolute disaster of a game!!! as i mentioned above:rolleyes:

Advertisement