Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift Voucher(Less than 2 months to use it?)

Options
  • 14-11-2008 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭

Im hoping somebody here can help. I got a Gift Voucher for a local menswear shop in August this year. I was going to use it today and I noticed on the voucher that it was bought on 5th August 2008 and the expiry date is 1st October 2008. That seems too short a period to me. I would have thought there would be a 6 months minimum period in which to use it as any voucher I have gotten in the past had ranged from 6 months to 12 months in which to use them?

I havnt been down to the shop yet to see if they will accept the voucher. I just wanted to see if I have legal rights or if there is a minimum period of time set out for redeeming a voucher?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd say phone the Citizens Information Phone Service. Lo Call 1890 777 121

I know the laws regarding vouchers are pretty poor at the moment,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just contact the shop. I found they always honoured vouchers regardless of the dates. Don't go to Citizens Information etc or looking to know legal standings until you get their response. You'd probably have phoned them in the time it took to post the question here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 whytie99

The voucher has to state the expiry date on the voucher but after that they can run whatever expiry date policy they feel like.

3 months expiry is the worst I've heard of (and I'm in the gift card business providing the service to retailers). Just present the voucher when buying whatever you're buying and refuse to accept 3 months. If you check out www.consumerconnect.ie they have a list of merchants who have no expiry dates at all on their gift cards and vouchers you could print off as back up for how bad theirs is.

I'm interested in consumer reaction to expiry dates on gift cards and vouchers in general- anybody think a thread on this is going to be of interest?

Advertisement