Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie to Classical music

Options
  • 14-11-2008 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hello. First time poster. Can somebody advise me on a popular selection of classical music to collect? Haven't started yet, it's my new hobby for the winter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Maggie,

Welcome aboard! Some guidelines:

1. DO NOT buy a CD called 'classical hits' or the like. Bad move that deters most people.

2. IF you buy a CD and hate it, do not be deterred. There are hundreds of years of music to get through, and even within the 'classical' world people like different composers and periods. My good friend Dave (a poster here) is mad into Scriabin; when I go to a concert and Scriabin is on the bill, I hit the bar pretty hard (though Ecstacy was quite good, I'll hand Dave that! ;) )

3. Use iTunes to preview tracks. This costs no money and is a good way to see what kind of things you like.

4. You know when you buy an album and like, say, 5 of the tracks? And over time the other tracks grow on you and, after repeated listenings, you like most of them? You'll find the same thing with a lot of classical music.

5. It's ok to hate it. Not all classical has this inherent value of 'It's beethoven, so you should' like it. That's junk (not Beethoven, the idea).

6. If you want to start of light you could get into the orchestral frame of mind with the Best of Jon Williams or somesuch (sorry dave, standards I know!)

7. Finally, some recommendations:

1. Mozart, Piano Concerto No. 23 in A Major, K488

Listen to this many, many times until you like it. It's not really necessary, I just like to impose my favorite piece of music upon people.

2. Beethoven, the odd-numbered symphonies.

3. Bach, the Goldberg Variations (a little soon for fugue, dave!)

4. Monteverdi, any kind of 'Madrigals' (it'll say on the cd)

5. Berlioz, Symphonie Fantastique.

Every poster will have a different set of favorites - an example of how many 'genres' there are in the world of classical music, just like 'pop, rock, indie, etc' in modern music.

Any questions, post here.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

There have been a couple of threads about this before have a browse of the following as you might find a couple of pieces that you like, then you can come back and ask for things in a similar vein.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055096602
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055133160
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055252756

Or you could do worse than browse through the A - Z Recommendations thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055171876

Do feel free to ask lots of questions and as said above, it doesn't matter if you don't like one piece there are a lot of different periods and styles to classical music, just try a different one.

Generally when I make a compilation for people looking to get into classical music I will put on tracks like Mars from Holst's Planets, Barber's String Quartet, selections from both Verdi and Mozart's Requiems and a couple of other pieces that they might recognise from use in films and computer games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I'm relatively new to classical as well, what I did was listen to a little bit of everything on YouTube, and then decide what I like and pursue it. I did this, and pretty soon I figured out that I like modern and minimalist stuff a lot more than classical and baroque stuff.

If you're into any popular music, look up your favourite musicians on Wikipedia and see if they like any classical stuff (Steven Drozd of the Flaming Lips likes Stravinsky, Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead likes Messiaen, and now I like Stravinsky and Messiaen :p).

Don't expect to like something the first time! I find that Classical music, especially full-on orcherstral stuff, takes a lot of time and serious listening, but when you figure out what's going on in a particular piece that you like, it's so much more rewarding than any other kind of music. Classical is a lot more personal.

Try to learn and make connections to new stuff! My Dad got me into Steve Reich, and then I looked up Steve Reich and learned there was a minimalist movement, and then I followed minimalism back to where it started, etc.
    That way it doesn't get boring, 'cause you're always relating stuff back to what you like.

Don't expect to stop learning!

My two cents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

I'd differ a little from the general idea of trying a bit of this and that on samplers, youtube, itunes etc. For complete newbies to classical, I would advise not wandering in general through the classical music cannon to see what you might like. Instead, since you are only starting to cultivate an ear for it you may as well develop a taste for the best.
    Mozart, Bach and Beethoven are they best there has been, so listen to a reasonable spread of their finest works (with a slight nod to accessibility) before putting your time into others.
    Even then, the list of second rankers, who are of a very high standard, has more than enough great music to keep you going for years. Exploration of the minor byroads in of the histpry of classical music is fine if you really develop an interest and are devoting a lot of your time to it - but dont do so at the expense of the great works.
    Spread your listening to the following 3 guys for at least 30-40 discs of music before moving onto the second tier.
    Mozart: go for 3 or 4 piano concertos from #9 onwards, highlights (ie music only) of Nozze di Figaro and Magic Flute, Symphonies 38 and 39, the clarinet concerto, the requiem, and further.
    Bach: the Brandenburg concertos, the cello suites, the keyboard concertos, Book 1 of The well tempered clavier, a few disc of cantatas and further
    Beethoven: symphonies 3-8, the piano concertos, the piano sonatas, the Archduke trio, piano and cello sonatas and further.

Then move onto : Haydn, Tchaikovsky, Vivaldi, Brahms, Schubert, Rossini, Wagner, Handel , Chopin, Verdi.

Life's too short to listen to other music if you havent explored their works well. Once you have learned by listening to them, then you will be able to make an informed exploration of particular styles they might lead you to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I'm with the general consensus here of finding what you like, and spreading your interests from there. Another good idea would be to get a book on classical music - Stephen Fry has one out called The inComplete and Utter History of Classical Music, which is apparently very good.

I'd also disagree with Banuqo on the subject of compilations, as the CD that got me into classical in the first place was a compilation from Naxos called The A-Z of Classical Music. Most of them are junk, though, but that one's a good way of finding what you're into.

Sandwich: I really don't think going from no classical music at all to twenty (or forty) minute long symphonies is the best idea and, although the greatest of them all, all of Bach's music (even the Brandenburgs) can seem austere and emotionless to the uninitiated. Also, I really don't think that typical ranking of composers by 'greatness' does any favours to the genre. People should make up their own minds. (F'rinstance, my favourite symphonists are Mahler and Sibelius, despite the great achievements of Beethoven in this area, and I'll always favour Haydn to Mozart.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Mad Hatter—What did I say about compilations? :? They're not a bad way to discover music you like and don't like, though you really need to find a decent one, as there are so many out there with atrocious recordings on them. (That said, the newbie to classical music won't have that discerning an ear—I know I didn't!)

Also, I don't agree with jumping straight into Bach, Mozart and Beethoven. It took me a long time to realise that Bach was the greatest composer who ever lived, and even longer that Beethoven was second to him. These are just my opinions of course, but my point is that it took me an awfully long time to realise this. I developed my love of Erik Satie before Bach, and Scriabin before Beethoven. So I believe the only correct starting point is what you like and what means something to you. There is no method to getting to know classical music. Just dive in—there's music out there to occupy you for your entire life and far beyond.

Also...
    banquo wrote: »
    3. Bach, the Goldberg Variations (a little soon for fugue, dave!)

Interesting point which I'm inclined to disagree with, of course! The Goldberg Variations belongs to Bach's last outpouring of works, all of which are in a very mature contrapuntal style. The paradox is that while these works are musically and intellectually demanding, they still have a popular appeal. (Glenn Gould's success in 1955 with the recording of the Goldberg Variations shows this somewhat, if we play down the influence of the hype that surrounded the young Gould.)

The Mass in B minor is another example. What non-musician listener cares about terms like fugue? If it sounds good, that's all that matters. If you can't understand it, fine—come back to it later and make a more informed judgement. But I don't think you can justify trying to steer a newcomer to classical music away from "complex" music like fugue when you are in the same breath recommending a work like the Goldberg Variations. After all, Bach didn't worry about offending the musically undiscerning in the congregation when he wrote the great choral fantasies that open his Sunday cantatas.

Doshea3 wrote: »
    Mad Hatter—What did I say about compilations? :? They're not a bad way to discover music you like and don't like, though you really need to find a decent one, as there are so many out there with atrocious recordings on them. (That said, the newbie to classical music won't have that discerning an ear—I know I didn't!)

It was banquo, sorry.

Ah! We're not that similar I hope? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Sandwich wrote: »
    the best.

Music is all about opinion, maybe other people have different opinions to yours. If we all just told Maggie_B to like what we like, she'd be more inclined to not listen to any of it.

• Advertisement

Doshea3 wrote: »
    Ah! We're not that similar I hope? ;)

Not at all - I was half-asleep posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Maggie_B wrote: »
    Hello. First time poster. Can somebody advise me on a popular selection of classical music to collect? Haven't started yet, it's my new hobby for the winter.
    maggie classical music is a minefield no two people like the same thing only advice i would give is to keep it light ie elgar-ravel-holst-to much to soon could put you off for life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Music is all about opinion.

I dont think so. The 'best' music is more or less beyond dispute for those who have the knowledge to comment. Yes, people might prefer other composers or works to the acknowledged masters and masterpieces - but that is probably due to limited knowledge of the repertoire. Nothing against Scriabin, Reich, Elgar etc. - undoubtedly fine and very enjoyable music from each. And I am sure a newbie could explore them and enjoy the process. But if you are starting from scratch, I reckon you may as well go straight for the recognised best (why not?) as any other. Browse elsewhere as your interest is caught after that. Its not as if Mozart, Bach, or Beethoven are likely to be any less approachable or enjoyable - if anything, more so.

Sandwich wrote: »
    I dont think so. The 'best' music is more or less beyond dispute for those who have the knowledge to comment. Yes, people might prefer other composers or works to the acknowledged masters and masterpieces - but that is probably due to limited knowledge of the repertoire. Nothing against Scriabin, Reich, Elgar etc. - undoubtedly fine and very enjoyable music from each. And I am sure a newbie could explore them and enjoy the process. But if you are starting from scratch, I reckon you may as well go straight for the recognised best (why not?) as any other. Browse elsewhere as your interest is caught after that. Its not as if Mozart, Bach, or Beethoven are likely to be any less approachable or enjoyable - if anything, more so.

I would argue (and did, above) that Bach and Beethoven are considerably less approachable to someone who hasn't listened to classical music before than some of the easier composers, because their music is quite complex. I would also argue if I was any more awake that Haydn was better than Mozart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Tangle

Although I agree with a lot of what people have posted, I don’t think discussions about particulars is going to help Maggie here, perhaps only confuse her more.

Maggie..nobody can tell you to try a particular composer, piece of music unless its something you are particularly seeking

Classical music takes time to appreciate, various styles, periods etc. My advice would be maybe get a simple book/guide (boring yes) that you can educate yourself along the way. One that generally describes composers, styles, eras, history etc etc and maybe refer you to pieces of music as examples. This way you can build up an understanding and judge for yourself what you like/ don’t like and develop and explore areas of interest, as you will find with people who like classical music are very select when it comes to it.

In time you will find the unsung heroes and pieces of work that are special to you and that’s what makes your own discovery all the more unique…Good Luck Maggie..enjoy the journey and have a great new year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

I have just recently started to get into classical music and was actually just about to start a thread like this. I've just been listening to little bits here and there trying to figure out what I like. The thing I find is that because I'm a complete newbie to it there's so much confronting you and trying to categorise it all and relate it all to each other and THEN figure out what I like and dislike is, for me, a much bigger task than I expected! An enjoyable venture though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Advertisement