Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reports: Roy Keane has not travelled with Sunderland Squad

Comments

themont85 wrote: »
    One more win and he's a genius

I think we all know who's talking out their a**e now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

ntlbell wrote: »
    who gives a fecking hoot how much money he spent.

He got them promoted

he kept them up...

we're in the very early stages of year two...he's two pints behind 10th place after 12 games....

WTF has that got to do with anything they dont have them two points simple as that and he cant go out and buy them either ;) they are in the bottom three, havent won in 5 and are out of the carling cup all this on the back of been one of the biggest spenders in the division!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Are you all mad? You can't expect Roy to travel on a coach with plain leather seats when he plainly told Qunny that he wanted more robust hessian covers with pale aquamarine seat protectors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

ntlbell wrote: »
    who gives a fecking hoot how much money he spent.

He got them promoted

he kept them up...

we're in the very early stages of year two...he's two pints behind 10th place after 12 games....

right, so you're obviously a massive roy keane fan so there is no point going on with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I think we all know who's talking out their a**e now

You managed to conveniatly leave out the rest of the actual sentance which was 'One more win and he's a genius who has improved Sunderland?', yes thats right with a question mark pointing to the fact that if I said that people would say i was talking hyberbolic ****e. It terrible journalists who tend to overblow a 'crisis' like this. I see you must be reading them with your 'selective' quoting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Let's just start a megathread for Keane Fans V Keane Critics and fight it out. 100 men enter, 1 man leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

So he has travelled with the squad and they have had a poor start to the season and thats about it folks......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

WTF has that got to do with anything they dont have them two points simple as that and he cant go out and buy them either ;) they are in the bottom three, havent won in 5 and are out of the carling cup all this on the back of been one of the biggest spenders in the division!

because it shows tight the bottom 10-12 places really are

saying second from bottom trying to make sound all doom and gloomy when they're a win away from 10th spot is just plain stupid...

yes they haven't had a win in 4 lets sack him quick! what a disaster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ive always said there was plenty of blame to throw around on McCarth and the FAI, as well as Keane but it seems like this topic is just a haven for all those who dispise the man and want to pick wholes in him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Savman wrote: »
    Let's just start a megathread for Keane Fans V Keane Critics and fight it out. 100 men enter, 1 man leave.

I'd be quite critical of Keane and some of the things he has done in the past now. I take issue with people overblowing a situation because they are desperate for the person they dislike to be criticsed at every corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I hope he is gone tbh. Been getting sick of him talking nonsense all the time instead of concentrating on his struggling team.

His reputation of a great player does'nt mean he will be a great manager as some people think he is. This season he is being found out, as he has spent a fortune and they are going in the wrong direction fast.

They will more than likely be relegated

What are you basing this on? He's been fairly unlucky this year so far, but still well in with a fighting chance. One or two wins will push them up to mid-table.

They will more than likely be relegated? Pfff... Why isn't there a button to do the exact opposite of thanking a post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »

Wtf has that got to do with this topic :rolleyes:

jaykay74 wrote: »

Nothing... although to answer it, he was injured. Back OT ffs

roryc wrote: »
    What are you basing this on? He's been fairly unlucky this year so far, but still well in with a fighting chance. One or two wins will push them up to mid-table.

They will more than likely be relegated? Pfff... Why isn't there a button to do the exact opposite of thanking a post.

You think they will stay up, I think they will be relegated. 2 different opinions. Whats the big deal?

• Advertisement

jaykay74 wrote: »

Its a legit question in fairness and as relevant as most of what is on this thread, he did also miss a suspiciously large number of friendlies for his beloved country but always managed to be fit for utd the following weekend, and also while im on my little rant :D the first time he was given the captains armband (think it was against russia) he proceeded to get sent off for a redicolous tackle............ ah deep breath!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I think the problem at Sunderland was the fact that the big clubs like Newcastle and Spurs were hitting the headlines for the wrong reasons while Sunderland poor form went unnoticed.

Now that there's been a reversal of form at St James and The Lane, Sunderland have hit the headlines for the wrong reasons. While todays story look like a storm in a tea cup, there's no smoke wothout fire and I expect him to be gone in the next couple of weeks. Sad state of affairs, I know

flanzer wrote: »
    Sad state of affairs, I know

Yeah im in tears here at the thoughts........ oh wait there tears of joy!!

Its a legit question in fairness and as relevant as most of what is on this thread, he did also miss a suspiciously large number of friendlies for his beloved country but always managed to be fit for utd the following weekend, and also while im on my little rant :D the first time he was given the captains armband (think it was against russia) he proceeded to get sent off for a redicolous tackle............ ah deep breath!!

I suppose you could argue whats all this got to do with him being Sunderland manager, relevant and all that it is, bash bash bash and all that :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Can the mods please make a seperate Roy Keane forum? Anything to do with Keane, Sunderland and Saipan is discussed there, and the rest of the footballing world is discussed here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

From RTE http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/1114/keaner.html

Keane exit rumours dismissed
    Friday, 14 November 2008 15:47
    According to the Sunderland Echo, reports that Roy Keane has left his position as Sunderland manager are inaccurate.

Rumours have been circulating that Keane did not travel to Blackburn with the Sunderland squad ahead of their Barclay's Premier league clash tomorrow.

However, the Sunderland Echo insist this is not true, and that Keane will appear in the dugout as expected tomorrow.

More to follow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Laces were out :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Thanks for that moment of childish pleasure, selecting 'I don't care' on the Will Prince Charles ever be King? poll. :p

(Would have chosen same in the Has Roy quit? poll)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I wonder how long the Sunderland board will stick with kenae if results do not pick up for them, to be fair things are very tight from mid table down to the bottom but for the amount of money he has spent, they really should be doing better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

lol. People haven't been covering themselves in glory in this thread. Openroad, Keane will not be sacked at Sunderland this year unless they fall into serious relegation trouble. Their current situation is far from that.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    lol. People haven't been covering themselves in glory in this thread. Openroad, Keane will not be sacked at Sunderland this year unless they fall into serious relegation trouble. Their current situation is far from that.

To be fair I did say that the table is very tight and yes a couple of wins could see Sunderland climb up the table but with the amount of money spent at Sunderland what is a fair return?

Keano hasnt served his time and the premiership is no place to learn your trade. He done exceptionally well to win Division 1 or whatever they call it now but to go to the premiership in your second year is a very tough ask of any young aspiring manager. Give him another couple of years at least to prove himself.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    To be fair I did say that the table is very tight and yes a couple of wins could see Sunderland climb up the table but with the amount of money spent at Sunderland what is a fair return?

When you overhaul significantly during the summer, it is often unrealistic to expect a squad to gel together quickly. I'm sure the owners who have invested in the club will want to see improvement from last year in the final league table, and a sense that the team is going in the right direction and on it's way to making European thoughts a somewhat plausible idea for 2009 / 2010. There is a loooong way to go before the current league season is completed don't forget.

Keane took over the team after they had lost the first six games of 2006 / 2007 Championship season. It's only just over two years on - so, irrespective of what has been spent (there have been sales and a significant increase in revenue don't forget), where they are now should be viewed as acceptable by all but the most illogical and unreasonable performance standards.

Finally, don't forget that Keane is thought to have an excellent relationship with the current owners and fans alike - who appreciate the direct, no - nonsense style that seems to be much maligned on this forum. He's going nowhere soon - unless he wants to leave the job himself. Being an Irish forum, it doesn't surprise me all that much to see a whole host of people on here with the knives out waiting to delight in his failure. But there shouldn't be a need to smackdown the ignorant and bitter more than once every month or so. As such, if we could go a couple of weeks without another Keane thread it would be awesome.

All imo, obv, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

redout wrote: »
    He done exceptionally well to win Division 1 or whatever they call it now but to go to the premiership in your second year is a very tough ask of any young aspiring manager.

in case you hadn't noticed, he did actually avoid relegation last year, and indeed they were the only team of those promoted to stay up despite the other managers having much more experience in management.

in case you hadn't noticed, he did actually avoid relegation last year, and indeed they were the only team of those promoted to stay up despite the other managers having much more experience in management.

He had the money to spend unlike the other teams that came up, it does make things easier. That said as you say Sunderland stayed up. But they need to move on now, it will be interesting to see where they are come May.

I think the point the guy is trying to make is that the money which Keane has had to spend and the players which were brought in they were expected to finish better last season than they actually did.

I think the point the guy is trying to make is that the money which Keane has had to spend and the players which were brought in they were expected to finish better last season than they actually did.

lol. By who? Surviving the jump from Championship to Premiership is something which is beyond over 50% of promoted clubs since the inception of the league. The fans definitely weren't disappointed with that. What makes you think the owners were?

Well maybe spending in the region of £40 million and just avoiding relegation and another thing keane needs to learn is to buy quality because most of what he has bought in his time has been mediocre and also to stop buying all these Irish players that are not good enough. How many was there last year, like 10 and how many made the grade ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Well maybe spending in the region of £40 million and just avoiding relegation and another thing keane needs to learn is to buy quality because most of what he has bought in his time has been mediocre and also to stop buying all these Irish players that are not good enough. How many was there last year, like 10 and how many made the grade ?

You are totaling missing the point. In the two seasons Keane has been with Sunderland, he has achieved exactly what the club wanted - i.e. promotion and avoiding relegation. And they are both huge achievements, no matter what money was spent. I would imagine the goal for this season is to finish 12th, or maybe even in the top half and its too early and too tight to tell whether that will happen. Having said that, as long as Keane avoids relegation this year he will not be sacked (bar some major falling out or something) and if you offered Sunderland 17th position they would bite your hand off.

I suppose its too much to expect people in the soccer forum to be rational about things, but the blinkered attitude when it comes to Keane is hilarious.

Thank you Wreck. Saved me a bit of typing.

I go back to my previous post needs to learn his trade.

Not really, Sunderlands objective last season was to stay in the premiership, which they did, doesn't really matter where they finished in the league as long as they stayed up, my point is that Keane had substantial funds which helped him achieve this unlike a club like say Hull but who are doing equally as well if not better than Sunderland did last season though still early days so this could all change. All I'm saying is that it will be interesting to see what kind of season Sunderland have, I think it is fair to say that they should be pushing on from last season.

• Advertisement

so sitting pretty there in 11th spot another away win

6 points more than this time last year..

yup...

keane under serious preasure..:D:D:D

So glad for Keano, great win

your right, they'll have to go out and win them...

what difference a few hours makes eh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Feckin Blackburn bottlers.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Feckin Blackburn bottlers.

lolz

all credit to sunderland tbh :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

alright lads, we get it, yas love Roy Keane, fair enough :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    alright lads, we get it, yas love Roy Keane, fair enough :rolleyes:

here's a tip your around long enough to know this one

if you dont want to discuss something when it clearly states in the thread who might be discussed don't click on it..

it's _real_ easy

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

is this the roy keane discussion thread?
    or is it about a rumour that was around a couple of days ago that he hadnt travelled?

if i'd have know it was the roy love in thread, i wouldnt have ventured in.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    is this the roy keane discussion thread?
    or is it about a rumour that was around a couple of days ago that he hadnt travelled?

if i'd have know it was the roy love in thread, i wouldnt have ventured in.

It just seems odd that you read a thread are unhappy with whats been discussed then feel the need to add to the discussion?

if you dont like it don't read or post in it?

again, "at the end of the day like" "it's not rocket science"

i clicked on the thread just to read if Roy had in fact turned up to the match today actually.

instead i was confronted with you salivating over royston.

not pleasant ntl, not pleasant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Keane's bad decision's in the transfer window could cause him problems and I can't see the Irish business men giving another bag of cash if he doesn't improve on last year, which shouldn't be that hard considering they were 15th last year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement