Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reports: Roy Keane has not travelled with Sunderland Squad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i clicked on the thread just to read if Roy had in fact turned up to the match today actually.

instead i was confronted with you salivating over royston.

not pleasant ntl, not pleasant.

but why did you feel the need to post in it?

the information you were seeking wasn't here so you felt it your duty to try and provoke people?

what you found was funniliy enough a thread about roy keane that had waivered a bit OT shock horror...and a countinuation of such a thread...

a thread going off topic....what next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

listen here mr bell. i'll post in watever thread i want. and say whatever i want as long as its ok by the forum charter. you dont decide where i can and cant post and what i can and cant say.

my comment was made in jest and if you feel the need to chastise me for it, well that says a lot more about you than it does me.

personally i think you're just pissed off cause you have nowhere to troll as Liverpool won again today. better luck next time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

is this the roy keane discussion thread?
    or is it about a rumour that was around a couple of days ago that he hadnt travelled?

Post 43 sorted out the Keane not turning up rumour. The rest of the thread has been about Saipan, Iran away trip, friendlies appearance record, Keanes tackling, the mystery of the whereabouts of Triggs etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Al, the sooner people stop replying the sooner this thred goes off the front page ;)

listen here mr bell. i'll post in watever thread i want. and say whatever i want as long as its ok by the forum charter. you dont decide where i can and cant post and what i can and cant say.

my comment was made in jest and if you feel the need to chastise me for it, well that says a lot more about you than it does me.

personally i think you're just pissed off cause you have nowhere to troll as Liverpool won again today. better luck next time

i'm not telling you where or what to post it just seems strange that you would cause a thread you didn;t want to read to stay on the front page?

i'm a very happy camper today

maybe liverpool might pick up a few tips on how to deal with the mighty stoke lolz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

11th in the league now and 5 points better off than this stage last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

redout wrote: »
    Well maybe spending in the region of £40 million and just avoiding relegation and another thing keane needs to learn is to buy quality

easier said than done. there are a number of factors that seriously hamper Keane doing this
    • Sunderland have earned the reputation of a bit of a see-saw club over the past few decades.
    • Keane has had to build a scouting system from scratch as there was almost nothing there when he arrived. This is not an easy thing to do, and it often takes the best part of a decade before results can be seen
    • Sunderland isn't exactly Monte Carlo and for players who value their quality of life, the place can be a hard sell.
    • It's well known Sunderland have generous backers, and such they find themselves having to pay much higher than the usual going rate to get their man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Well then if thats so then it does not mean you buy crap. Players dont care where they play, for most it is all about money. Robinho, Anelka, Owen, Tevez, Mascherano all players who have gone to clubs well below them. Tevez and Mascherano had different situations though but you see my point.

Well then if thats so then it does not mean you buy crap. Players dont care where they play, for most it is all about money. Robinho, Anelka, Owen, Tevez, Mascherano all players who have gone to clubs well below them. Tevez and Mascherano had different situations though but you see my point.

just out of curiosity what crap do you think he's bought this year?

what the hell?

he spent in year one on ALL the players he bough than city paid for robhino

tevez = 30 mil

masch much the same

where do you think they would get the money for these type of players?

come down to planet earth man

• Advertisement

McCartney, Colgan, Tainio, Meyler and Chimbonda.

McCartney, Colgan, Tainio, Meyler and Chimbonda.

lol

colgan cost nothing

meyler was like 200k

chimbonda has been one of there best players this season...

can anyone say nit picking?

Just because someone cost nothing you think that exonerates them from being a bad addition ?

Just because someone cost nothing you think that exonerates them from being a bad addition ?

it depends why they were brought to the club...

and if it costs nothing and they don't do well

what difference will it make?

as i said your nit picking

the point was roy keane has spent too much money on bad players

i ask you to name them

and you name players who cost feck all

that's redic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

LOL its not hard to nit pick when it comes to Keane's signing, and don't take my word of it, the lads on Soccer Saturday on Sky were saying what I have said before, he should have bought fewer number players of better quality for more money, just look at the number of players he has bought and sold since he took over.

In fairness to him he's still learning the management game but you need to learn quick in the PL

Villain wrote: »
    LOL its not hard to nit pick when it comes to Keane's signing, and don't take my word of it, the lads on Soccer Saturday on Sky were saying what I have said before, he should have bought fewer number players of better quality for more money, just look at the number of players he has bought and sold since he took over.

In fairness to him he's still learning the management game but you need to learn quick in the PL

you mean the guys who work on tv because they can't get into managment? or have all been sacked from their mangment posts?

oh right.

Another case closed thanks to the lads at Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

ntlbell wrote: »
    you mean the guys who work on tv because they can't get into managment? or have all been sacked from their mangment posts?

oh right.

Another case closed thanks to the lads at Sky.

LOL you mean lads that have actually played the game at the highest level rather than just me and you who look at it.

Not every former players wants the pressure of management you know ;)

Villain wrote: »
    LOL you mean lads that have actually played the game at the highest level rather than just me and you who look at it.

Not every former players wants the pressure of management you know ;)

as i said can't argue with you, sure sky pundits agree with you, i haven't a leg to stand on..

tevez = 30 mil

masch much the same

17m is much the same as 30m?!

must switch to your bank in that case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

First i've heard of this 'story'. It's like a game of chinese whispers. Good to see they won today. All is well in Sunderland again. Last one off the bus, turn the lights off...

lol

quote]

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/72005/KEANE-TO-FREE-CHIM-AND-YORKE-Sunderlands-revolving-door-keeps-on-turning.html

Read this and weep. It also backs up what I and others have previously said in this thread. I know its a newspaper but at least shows we are not alone in our views.

17m is much the same as 30m?!

must switch to your bank in that case

15/17/20/25/30/50/100

the point is sunderland can't afford them regardless.

lol

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/72005/KEANE-TO-FREE-CHIM-AND-YORKE-Sunderlands-revolving-door-keeps-on-turning.html

Read this and weep.

looks like you didn't read it.

look at the _reasons_

the paper stated how much he spent it didn't say anything to agree with you

if you read this thread carefully i said i'm not agreeing with his buys or that he has done well or not so well in the transfer.

when he joined the aim was promption

he did that

next year

stay up

he did that

this year

do better

he's doing better...

again his job is not to save money it's to hit the objectives of the club so far everyone's been ticked.

Please, how so ?

Please, how so ?

how so what?

• Advertisement

Quote from NOTW

"Deals involving more than 100 players have taken place since Niall Quinn appointed Keane in 2006. Those in control now want the constant turnaround in personnel to slow down."

Jesus christ that must be some sort of record. More than 100 in only two and a half years !

The NOTW is basically agreeing with what I said. Spending a huge amount of money on numerous useless players and still floating around relegation. Maybe you should learn how to read. I suggest you go back and read the last 2-3 pages of this thread and my comments before you got involved with my comments.

Quote from NOTW

"Deals involving more than 100 players have taken place since Niall Quinn appointed Keane in 2006. Those in control now want the constant turnaround in personnel to slow down."

Jesus christ that must be some sort of record. More than 100 in only two and a half years !

dude your quoting the news of the world?

wasn't there a huge clear out just after he arrived?

and once again when they got promoted?

how many of the 100 did he sign?

The NOTW is basically agreeing with what I said. Spending a huge amount of money on numerous useless players and still floating around relegation. Maybe you should learn how to read. I suggest you go back and read the last 2-3 pages of this thread and my comments before you got involved with my comments.

they're 11th in the league and 5 points more than they had this time last year?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

He's a slut.

• Advertisement

how much did city spend this year compared to sunderland?

spurs?

they're 11th in the league and 5 points more than they had this time last year?

:rolleyes:

Ok fair enough but only two points difference between 11th and 18th.
    Either a draw or loss next week could put them in the relegation zone. I think that you and I have had our say brother so lets just leave it at that because I amazed a mod has not kicked us yet for going so far off the topic of this thread "Reports: Roy Keane has not travelled with Sunderland Squad"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

looks like you didn't read it.

look at the _reasons_

the paper stated how much he spent it didn't say anything to agree with you

if you read this thread carefully i said i'm not agreeing with his buys or that he has done well or not so well in the transfer.

when he joined the aim was promption

he did that

next year

stay up

he did that

this year

do better

he's doing better...

again his job is not to save money it's to hit the objectives of the club so far everyone's been ticked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKeE3saeguY

boring at this stage. at least boggles keeps it real. ur just sh1t

how much did city spend this year compared to sunderland?

spurs?

not your best point considering Ramos has already got the sack, and Hughes doesnt seem to be far from it.

Yet to you, Roy has done everything right thus far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

not your best point considering Ramos has already got the sack, and Hughes doesnt seem to be far from it.

Yet to you, Roy has done everything right thus far.

City - expected too challenge top 4
    Spurs - expected to challenge top 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Nothing divides irish football fans , or in fact our society , like Roy Keane , you either love him or loathe him, nothing in the middle , like the man himself .
    You can nearly characterise people on whether they like him or not :D

Along with Paul McGrath , he was the greatest player I saw wear the green jersey , but I myself have mellowed , and think Mick McCarthy has behaved impecably , with Wolves riding high , he could have stuck the boot into Keane , so fair play Mick (never thought I'd say it) - Saipan probably made him a better manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

thebaz wrote: »
    Nothing divides irish football fans , or in fact our society , like Roy Keane , you either love him or loathe him, nothing in the middle , like the man himself .

Along with Paul McGrath , he was the greatest player I saw wear the green jersey , but I myself have mellowed , and think Mick McCarthy has behaved impecably , with Wolves riding high , he could have stuck the boot into Keane , so fair play Mick (never thought I'd say it) - Saipan probably made him a better manager

had to pick up on this point.....i just dont get it, Sunderland are in the Premier League for the second season running, won the championship before it, and Wolves are...............still in the championship

imo this means sunderland are riding higher then wolves no?

so how would mick have anything to stick the boot in about :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Ok fair enough but only two points difference between 11th and 18th.
    Either a draw or loss next week could put them in the relegation zone. I think that you and I have had our say brother so lets just leave it at that because I amazed a mod has not kicked us yet for going so far off the topic of this thread "Reports: Roy Keane has not travelled with Sunderland Squad"

And if they win they could be 8th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭secman

FA are launching an enquiry into this, they want immediate answers from Sunderland FC

"Who exactly was the Roy Keane lookalike sitting on the bench ?
    "Does he have his Badges ?
    Why was he interviewed at the end of the match ?:D:D:D

Chinese wispers

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm not sure how some people can defend Keane so tirelessly. I'm a big fan of Keane, and I would love him to prove himself and become the united manager one day.

However, I have made no secret of the fact his transfers have not filled me with hope. Has wasted a decent wedge of cash on poor players. I would say Chopra is the leading example of this - big wedge of cash on a very average player. I'm hopefull the signing of Cisse will prove to be a hit (is doing ok) and will signal some sort of trun around.

I think Keane could have spent the same amount of money overall on less players and have Sunderland in a better position. I've been sruprsied by the amount he has thrown around on players that aren't quite good enough.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure how some people can defend Keane so tirelessly. I'm a big fan of Keane, and I would love him to prove himself and become the united manager one day.

However, I have made no secret of the fact his transfers have not filled me with hope. Has wasted a decent wedge of cash on poor players. I would say Chopra is the leading example of this - big wedge of cash on a very average player. I'm hopefull the signing of Cisse will prove to be a hit (is doing ok) and will signal some sort of trun around.

I think Keane could have spent the same amount of money overall on less players and have Sunderland in a better position. I've been sruprsied by the amount he has thrown around on players that aren't quite good enough.

no one is saying he hasn't made mistakes he has.

no one is saying he hasn't wasted money here and there he has.

managers make mistakes.

managers sometimes buy players who flop.

i actually like choppra and i'd take choppra over nugent 7 days a week

but no one's whining about the millions spent on that waste of space ;)

keane hasn't done too badly he's starting to build a nice little team around him but he has explained the problems he has getting players to the club and the market had really inflated last year and seems to be comming back down now.

if he can keep them up this near and get a nice mid table finish and good players see sunderland stop yo yoing then he can attract better players

all i'm saying is he has done so far in a very short space of time with no managment expirience everythinng sunderland have asked of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

thebaz wrote: »

I have now characterised you, and from this I have decided not to bother reading your posts anymore!

But back to topic. Hes 11th in the league. 1 above the richest club in the world. Troublesome times for Roy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

I like Roy Keane, most of the time, even though he was dead wrong in Saipan. What I really can't stand is the Roy Keane industry.

Anyhow, how did we do in the Prince Charles poll?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Cracking post Mitch. Reminded Pighead of the way people used to post in the good old days. There was no internet back then though so we used to drop letters into each others letterboxes when arguing about footie related matters. Here's a letter Fat Freddie Finnegan dropped into Pighead's letterbox way back in 89.

I'm not sure how some people can defend Ferguson so tirelessly. I'm a big fan of Ferguson, and I would love him to prove himself and become the Dundalk manager one day.

However, I have made no secret of the fact his transfers have not filled me with hope. Has wasted a decent wedge of cash on poor players. I would say Webb is the leading example of this - big wedge of cash on a very average player. I'm hopefull the signing of Ince will prove to be a hit (is doing ok) and will signal some sort of trun around.

I think Ferguson could have spent the same amount of money overall on less players and have Manchester Utd in a better position. I've been sruprsied by the amount he has thrown around on players that aren't quite good enough.

Yours Fat Freddie Finnegan.
    PS Stop calling me fat or i'll tell my daddy on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I'm rather amused by people who think Quinn will sack Keane.

For better or for worse, Keane will be at Sunderland for as long as he wants.

He has come into a club with maybe 2-3 players of premiership quality, got them promoted at the first attempt and then kept them in the Premiership. That is a step further than many managers have with the smaller clubs.

My guess is that Keane is trying to build stability at the club in terms of youth development and club structure while also trying to keeop the club in the premiership. Doing one of these things is difficult. Doing both during your first management job is an incredible feat.

He's been hit and miss with transfers, but I would imagine that should they stay up in the premiership, we'll start to see a bit more stability and a bit more quality in Sunderland. Don't be surprised if the scouting system starts to produce young unheard of players and local youth players in the next 4-5 years.

Sunderland aren't going to win anything this year, or maybe for the next two years, but it looks to me like the club is moving in the right direction.

GuanYin wrote: »
    He has come into a club with maybe 2-3 players of premiership quality, got them promoted at the first attempt and then kept them in the Premiership. That is a step further than many managers have with the smaller clubs.

A club with 49,000 capacity stadium (the 5th largest in the league btw), a huge fanbase and a rich financial backer could hardly be classed as a small club in the same context as Hull, West Brom and Stoke or the likes of Watford, Swindon or Barnsley in the past.

Keane has simply done nothing out of the ordinary as a club like Sunderland should have no hassles surviving in the Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Keane has simply done nothing out of the ordinary as a club like Sunderland should have no hassles surviving in the Premiership.

Haha Xavi, think you need to take a look at Sunderlands Premier league history.

1992/93 - Avoid relegation to Division Two by one point
    1993/94 - Mick Buxton replaces Terry Butcher as manager
    1994/95 - Peter Reid becomes manager with seven matches remaining
    1995/96 - Win Division One
    1996/97 - Relegated from FA Carling Premiership
    1997/98 - First season at Stadium of Light. Lose play-off final on penalties
    1998/99 - Win Division One with a record 105 points
    2002/03 - Break record signing with Tore André Flo for £6.75million. Reid replaced by Howard Wilkinson. Mick McCarthy takes over with nine matches left. Relegated with lowest points tally ever (19)
    2004/05 - Win Division One
    2005/06 - McCarthy leaves in March after just two wins. Kevin Ball appointed as caretaker. Relegated with new record low number of points (15).
    2006/07 - Consortium headed by former hero Niall Quinn takes over. Quinn appointed as manager but sacks himself after four straight defeats. Roy Keane becomes manager. Win promotion to the Barclays Premier League
    2007/08 - Break British transfer record for a goalkeeper - paying Hearts £9million for Craig Gordon

Quin with Keane has and is doing a remarkable job, Correct me if I'm wrong but they are half way through there 5 year plan, goal being European football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

The main issue people seem to have with Keane is his transfers. From what I see no one really has a problem with his achievements.

Although Sunderland are a big club, it's still very hard for them to attract big name players. Despite have a lot money, it's still quite hard for a newly promoted club to spend a large amount of money on a smaller number of quality players. I reckon what Keane was doing was spending that money on a larger volume of players. I guess he knew that most of them wouldn't work out, but he was hoping some of them would. Throw enough sh!t and some of it will stick and all that.

I remember him talking about his scouting networks a while ago also (think someone mentioned it in this thread already). He was saying that it takes a while build up a world class scouting system, and that's why we saw him buying Celtic players and United rejects, as these we're players he was familiar with. It's understandable that he wasn't going to take punts on overpriced players that he didn't know that well. Better to stick with players that he knows, I reckon.

But basically there is no reason he should be sacked.

Boggles wrote: »
    Haha Xavi, think you need to take a look at Sunderlands Premier league history.

I fail to see how that is relevant to my point that when Sunderland came up from the Championship they should have had no trouble surviving due to being bankrolled by a rich consortium and having the facilities to back it up.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »

walk into a club who had lost 4/5 matches sitting at the bottom of the championship. turns the club around and wins the championship in the same year?

nothing manager, nothing.

Your hatred for keane is getting very boring.

Keane sent home from world cup. Xavi hates keane.

Stephen ireland turns his back on ireland tells lies, refuses to return to the squad and he's displayed as superman in your sig.

the hypocrisy is getting a bit sickening.

Advertisement