Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake Nokia mobile phone batteries sold over counter in Dublin with Hologram.

Options
  • 14-11-2008 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I purchased a BL-6F battery for a Nokia N95 last week from a shop on St Great Georges St for e10.00. For the price I paid I didn't expect it to be genuine. However it was identical to the genuine article even down to the Nokia hologram.

The battery charges up in a fraction of the time compared to the origional but only hold its charge for a couple of hours. I didn't bother going back with it for the price that I paid and decided to hold on to it for emergencies.

Nevertheless the companies that are knocking off these off have duplicating hologram down to a fine art. It won't be long before counterfeit holograms will start to appearing on event tickets, credit cards, Id's and even Laptop batteries posing a fire hazard on Aircraft.

Is there any law about this?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

It's not just fake batteries that have been going up in smoke....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Was it sold to you as a genuine Nokia battery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Random wrote: »
    Was it sold to you as a genuine Nokia battery?

It was sold in a spurious packet (Don't have name off hand) but you could clearly see the "Nokia" battery and hologram through the plastic.

People could be falsely led to believe that this company was manufacturing batteries under license for Nokia just as Sony produces laptop batteries for HP, Dell and Toshiba.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

For the price I paid I didn't expect it to be genuine..........
    Is there any law about this?

Of course there are laws about this, as you well know. What's your issue exactly? You knowingly bought fake goods at a knockdown price from a disreputable source, thus supporting this illegal activity, and subsequently have the gall to complain about the quality.

wyndham wrote: »
    Of course there are laws about this, as you well know. What's your issue exactly? You knowingly bought fake goods at a knockdown price from a disreputable source, thus supporting this illegal activity, and subsequently have the gall to complain about the quality.

I have brought the matter to light haven't I? :rolleyes:

An elderly person could enter the same shop and purchase one unknowingly that they are counterfeit and even be charged more for it. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

On a bulletin board yes, but did you report them to Trading Standards, or whatever they're called? You asked in your original post "is there any law on this", but don't seem keen to actually follow up on this, thus both condoning, and encouraging them carrying on selling these fake batteries. You can't have it both ways.
    An elderly person could enter the same shop and purchase one unknowingly that they are counterfeit and even be charged more for it. :rolleyes:
    Yes, lot's of OAP's here on boards :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Very confusing... you are giving out about it being done, bringing it to light on a bulletin board instead of reporting it to the correct authorities or even nokia themselves who have a section for it on their website, and further more despite you complaining about them abusing pensioners etc you are actually enabling them to do it by buying from them.

Important thing to remember about consumer issues- it is not just big business which creates them.

Check the battery section on nokia.com and you can report them there.

SDooM wrote: »

Check the battery section on nokia.com and you can report them there.
    Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I wouldn't use a fake battery - there are loads of cases of these things bursting into flames when charging!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,991 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

eth0_ wrote: »
    I wouldn't use a fake battery - there are loads of cases of these things bursting into flames when charging!

There have been a few genuine ones doing the same thing. But I definately wouldn't leave a fake charging on it's own.

• Advertisement
Advertisement