Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English discussion groups for foreigners.

Options
  • 14-11-2008 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi everybody

I am a french that just came to Dublin and i want to meet other foreigners who want like me, to improve their english. So if anyone is interested please send a message or reply to this thread.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dublinpd

yassine wrote: »
    Hi everybody

I am a french that just came to Dublin and i want to meet other foreigners who want like me, to improve their english. So if anyone is interested please send a message or reply to this thread.

Thanks.

Good idea!!!
    I'm in....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Good idea, and there are probably already some groups in Dublin doing this (check gumtree etc). It's a good way to stay motivated when learning a language.

A tip from someone with experience here though: make sure you have some native English speakers coming along as well, otherwise you end up with unnatural-sounding phrases perpetuating due to practice with other non-natives.

A common example: "ride the bus". While there's technically nothing wrong with this phrase, you wouldn't hear a native English speaker using it. It tends to be foreigners who learned English with/from other non-native speakers, and between them, they don't notice anything amiss.

Advertisement