Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PI Charter

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

In my experience some mods though often tend to get fed up of moving posts to the relevant fora.
    They sometimes instantly blame the user for posting in the wrong place as if they should know better.
    Mods to be honest should remember that ordinary users aren't like mods.They are not automatically aware of this most of the time regardless of how often they post here.Some of them are and a lot of them aren't
    Having to move posts from time to time takes seconds and if it annoys mods to have to do this,they shouldn't be mods.
    Just an observation on your point.

I understand your point but my own point was that people with an issue will generally post in PI, not the relevant forum to the issues, like a person who is unhappy due to fitness or appearance might prefer to post in PI rather than fap or fitness. Earlier posts had suggested if an unhappy poster wants religious advice that they should post in the appropriate religious forum. I think most people posting in PI are looking for opinions on a difficult situation, they may not have already decided what kind of advice they want and therefore not know which forum to post in other than PI. There are forums for pretty much everything on boards. If you are to post your PI in the relevant forum to the advice you are looking for, doesn't that remove the purpose of PI altogether?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

PI: A 5 line play.
    Set in the time of Adam and Eve.
    (Genesis Adam and Eve too. Not your bloody Quran Adam and Eve.
    And dont get me started on yer talmudic Adam and Eve. Queerbos! And the Gnostic texts Adam and Eve? Gheh.)

Adam and Eve standing naked under an apple tree. It is morning.

ADAM: "Eve? Do you like apples?"
    EVE: Huh?
    ADAM: I dont think any religious input should be allowed on PI evar.
    EVE: :confused:
    ADAM: How do you like dem apples bitch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

So, lemme get this straight;

God (whatever God, spare us the all encompassing qualifications that everyone seems to have to abide by these days in order to appear conformist) can be mentioned, but bible/quran/whatever bashing whether in a genuine attempt to help, or to take advantage of someone's vulnerability is not?

'Cos that, to me is actually fair enough, even if it smacks somewhat of an atheistic, rather than a secular, viewpoint.

However, simply directing the users to "...don't discuss god in here again, not everyone believes or is interested in religion..." and then expecting people to know what you mean without reference to the charter is blithe and could smack of arrogance to a casual observer.

Isn't that what a charter is for anyway? To formalise a forum wide policy that may not be clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

So, lemme get this straight;

God (whatever God, spare us the all encompassing qualifications that everyone seems to have to abide by these days in order to appear conformist) can be mentioned, but bible/quran/whatever bashing whether in a genuine attempt to help, or to take advantage of someone's vulnerability is not?

'Cos that, to me is actually fair enough, even if it smacks somewhat of an atheistic, rather than a secular, viewpoint.

However, simply directing the users to "...don't discuss god in here again, not everyone believes or is interested in religion..." and then expecting people to know what you mean without reference to the charter is blithe and could smack of arrogance to a casual observer.

Isn't that what a charter is for anyway? To formalise a forum wide policy that may not be clear?

Just had a look at the charter,maybe splittin it would help,its kinda hard to read and pinpoint stuff quickly with all the links

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Does this mean you can't say Merry Christmas on PI?

Is that seen as shoving your religion down someone else's throat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Whatever about the religious content of Gareth's post, and I agree with Beruthiel that PI is no place for advice soely based on religion, the tone is very condescending. If I ever reached the point where I needed to post in PI, the last thing I'd want is to be patronised by something like this:
    Gareth37 wrote:
    You cannot have it all without knowing God. God is the only thing that bring happiness imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Zaph wrote: »
    Whatever about the religious content of Gareth's post, and I agree with Beruthiel that PI is no place for advice soely based on religion, the tone is very condescending. If I ever reached the point where I needed to post in PI, the last thing I'd want is to be patronised by something like this:

Zaph, it's often said to those of us who disagree with their being a PI forum that the poster is aking for opinions. I reckon these people are too vulnerable to be laid open for our entertainment. I think some of the advice is really dodgy. But we're told the OP can choose to ignore or take the advice given.

So, why can't the same aply to religious "advice". If some 17 year old posts "you should definitely get out of your marriage" that's much dodgier than telling someone they can't be happy without god.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Zaph, it's often said to those of us who disagree with their being a PI forum that the poster is aking for opinions. I reckon these people are too vulnerable to be laid open for our entertainment. I think some of the advice is really dodgy. But we're told the OP can choose to ignore or take the advice given.

So, why can't the same aply to religious "advice". If some 17 year old posts "you should definitely get out of your marriage" that's much dodgier than telling someone they can't be happy without god.

I don't disagree, and tbh if I needed serious advice PI is probably the last place I'd come looking for it simply because I've no idea is poster X is in any way qualified to offer their opinion on my problem. They don't know me or my circumstances, other than what I choose to post, and I don't know them at all.

However, my issue is more with the tone of Gareth's post, rather than the content. A post along the lines of "Have you tried your local church? I've found that my faith has helped me a lot when I'm unhappy" is a lot less preachy and more helpful to someone already in a vulnerable state than all that "You cannot have it all without knowing God" malarky.

I guess the question is, Zaph, at what point does advice become unhelpful. And who decides that it's unhelpful.

I don't want someone telling me I can't be happy without god. But the poster must think he/she was being helpful. Similarly, I remember showing the forum to a couple of my psychiatry colleagues, and one of them saying "oh god my eyes hurt reading those replies". There is often unhelpful advice on there, but the assumption (from the people who run that forum, NOT from me) is that the posters are in a fit state of mind to differentiate helpful advice from non helpful advice. So, why is this any different?

I know that's not the central point, but I'm just explaining my previous post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I think at this stage tallaght01 everyone and thier Ma knows you think that the PI forums is an awful thing to have on the site, if you think they don't maybe consider a sig banner.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I think at this stage tallaght01 everyone and thier Ma knows you think that the PI forums is an awful thing to have on the site, if you think they don't maybe consider a sig banner.

I've mentioned it a handful of times in my whatever number of posts. Less than 10 I would imagine.

I stand by that, and I do feel an obligation to speak up for vulnerable people. I do believe PI serves as a platform for those on boards who are the in-house self styled "worldly wise" to massage their egos. I may be wrong. But I still think it's wrong. I know there are too many vested ineterests for it to change.

But it's really a side issue. The point I was making is that who decides if a post is unhelpful or not?
    Is telling someone they need to find god more dangerous than a 17 year old telling someone to leave their marriage, for example?

Simple point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

WS: Are you there God? it's me, WindSock

God: No! I don't exist, go to PI with your fears and problems. Sure it's a much more effective way to let people who you don't know give advice rather than have an introspective view by using your own faith and spirituallity and heaven forbid may you come to terms by your own power...

WS: Ok God, whatever you say.

God: Oh and WindSock, make sure take onboard only the advice that is deemed as advice by the higher powers.

WS: Are these higher powers you God?

God: No silly. I told you I don't exist, remember?

Godly advice:Stay off the drugs kids

Advertisement