Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mosney - Balbriggan

Options
  • 14-11-2008 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭

Hi, of late a couple of people have told me that the apartments beside Supervalu are going to be used for asylym seekers from mosney.

Is there any truth in this rumour or is it just the usual bull that flys around balbriggan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

ridiculous rumour

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Hi, of late a couple of people have told me that the apartments beside Supervalu are going to be used for asylym seekers from mosney.

Is there any truth in this rumour or is it just the usual bull that flys around balbriggan.
    Jesus Wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

last i heard of mosney, it had been nicknamed bosnia

i was there once as a child, and then once for the homelands festival. my first festival

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭paulie13

All I know is that the remainder of the unsold units in Spicers Mill have apparently been sold to the HSE

paulie13 wrote: »
    All I know is that the remainder of the unsold units in Spicers Mill have apparently been sold to the HSE
    You know that they've apparently been sold?

Sounds like Balbriggan rumours at it's best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

yeah it is true that the 41 units (that were not selling) have been leased or sold to the HSE to use as housing for asylum seekers...Big deal. Nobody seems to be bothered about that sort of thing around Balbriggan anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Táck wrote: »
    last i heard of mosney, it had been nicknamed bosnia

i was there once as a child, and then once for the homelands festival. my first festival

it's nickname is "mosnia" :)

It's used as a holding center for asylum applicants while their application is processed. They have food kitchens and a full time HSE office, and the kids get picked up in mini-buses and brought to schools in balbriggan and drogheda etc. Not a bad place. I still think its akin to a prison though. It should not take 18months to process an application for asylum. It should take 2 weeks. anyway, back on topic. I have heard the housing will be provided for asian asylum seekers accommodations. Works out nicely for all concerned anyway as they were not selling...(at those prices)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

paulie13 wrote: »

Fairly sure they haven't been sold as the HSE has an embargo on capital spending at the moment.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

/me tuts at all those Meath people coming up to Dublin looking for Asylum;P

Tbh I dunno if this is a bad thing at all,maybe some of them will get asylum and settle in Balbriggan and become contributing members of the community and the society there.

The hse already have a lot of people of all nationalities housed around Balbriggan that do not contribute to society or the community and are a burden on the tax payer with no return.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Moonbeam wrote: »

Tbh I dunno if this is a bad thing at all,maybe some of them will get asylum and settle in Balbriggan and become contributing members of the community and the society there.

The hse already have a lot of people of all nationalities housed around Balbriggan that do not contribute to society or the community and are a burden on the tax payer with no return.

I feel the same,

The replies on the thread are indicitive of balbriggan, the rumour mill is rampant. I still dont know for sure if its true ;)
    yeah it is true that the 41 units (that were not selling) have been leased or sold to the HSE to use as housing for asylum seekers...Big deal. Nobody seems to be bothered about that sort of thing around Balbriggan anyway.
    ridiculous rumour

At the moment I'm inclined to believe they let the apartments as a short term plan to integrate long term applicants into a community and I hope it goes well.

Moonbeam wrote: »

careful now... you'll be bashed by one of the liberal left for making observations like that ;):p

Again its a problem I have not with "asylum seekers" but with the failing "system" that houses them, feeds them, schools them, medically cares for them, and denies them the right to work, all the while you (the taxpayer) pick up the tab. all the while when projects like cervical cancer vaccines are shelved for costing a mere 10mil a year.

100gSoma wrote: »
    projects like cervical cancer vaccines are shelved for costing a mere 10mil a year.

A bit of topic but I think this was a fucking disgraceful decision by the HSE and whoever came up with it should be shot with balls of thier own shit

yeah, its pretty much indefensible. The reasons run alot deeper than financial criteria too. It's an ecumenical matter in Ireland that you cannot give 12 year olds a vaccine for an STD. It will obviously breed promiscuity.

anyway, back on topic, I think Balbriggan is ideal for settling asylum seekers as its so close to mosney and has an absolute abundance of empty rentable houses/apartments that were built during the "goldrush" of house building 3 or 4 years ago. It suits the troubled devlopers, and the HSE. Would be nice if the govt. had a longer term immigration strategy though...

If someone could provide hard facts here that would be great.

Cumiskys say all the apartments as listed on the scheme website are still for sale.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Bluetonic wrote: »
    If someone could provide hard facts here that would be great.

Cumiskys say all the apartments as listed on the scheme website are still for sale.

Who needs hard facts when hysteria and unfounded gossip is rife :)

LOL @ Robs comment... Tru Tru...

Unfortunately there is no hard fact. There is no newspaper article, or official document. I'm sure if you offered cash for one of the apartments tomorrow you could buy it, and the remaining units will be leased. In fact there might be an agreement to lease the apartments as long as they are unsold, but to revoke the lease on any unit if it sells. who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Ah idle speculation. Never come across another place for it like Balbriggan.

If it is true I think it's not that great an idea. Integration will hardly be that easy when you're lumping a load of asylum seekers into the one development. Smacks of ghettoisation to me.

It's true Chinafoot. All this talk of "Integration"... but unfortunately just bringing up the numbers of asylum seekers in balbriggan does not equal integration. Providing cash to rent a main street premises and start a business, does not equals integration. And having no school places which forces the "educate together" school to be comprised of almost 200 african kids only, does not help them integrate with irish kids or learn our culture. It;s priven now that the only way to integrate people into a society is for them to learn and adapt to its culture. forcing the society to learn and adapt to the asylum culture by providing mosques or special schools etc is what breeds division. The people in charge here don't really no much about "ghettoism" and have not learned from the lessons of England and France. I think FG want to field an African asylum seeker at the local elections in June. He should easily get voted in if they mobilise the local asylum vote which should be easy enough. that should help things a bit more as he will be able to see how everything works and hopefully pass it down to his community and bring their concerns to the town council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

isnt the mosney lease up shortly anyway?

• Advertisement

I think FG want to field an African asylum seeker at the local elections in June. He should easily get voted in if they mobilise the local asylum vote which should be easy enough.
    It won't be a woman?

Of course people seeking asylum don't have a vote.

People who do have a vote can't be classified as an asylum vote.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Of course people seeking asylum don't have a vote.

WRONG! Asylum seekers can indeed vote in Local elections. We are perhaps the only country in the world that allows this. they do not need to be resident here any mandatory length of time either. (edit: you must be here 6 months)
    In fact a certain politician from SF was going around with 2 Garda and signing them up in the 2004 local elections.

source: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/vote-drive-for-ethnic-minorities-1518407.html

No need to shout.

Fair play, your learn something new everyday so some may be eligible to vote.
    People are eligible to cast a ballot if they have been resident in the country for six months before February 25, 2009, and are over 18 years of age.

Anyhow - FG are definitely fielding a male candidate so?

WRONG! Asylum seekers can indeed vote in Local elections. We are perhaps the only country in the world that allows this. they do not need to be resident here any mandatory length of time either. (edit: you must be here 6 months)
    In fact a certain politician from SF was going around with 2 Garda and signing them up in the 2004 local elections.

source: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/vote-drive-for-ethnic-minorities-1518407.html

Thanks for that ourlad, it would be interesting to find out the numbers of aslyum seekers(past and present) in the local community

Gerry Buckley got in with 208 votes in the 2004 election which was not even 6% of the vote. Given that all a candidate needs is 250 max to get a seat on the town council :eek: it is quite likely the next one will include acandidate from among the immigrant population. Town council elections that is.
    TENS of thousands of asylum seekers, migrant workers and foreign students are being urged to register their vote for the forthcoming 2009 local elections.

The voter registration drive, which kicks off this week, is aiming to get more than 50,000 people on the electoral register before the deadline.

It is believed the local and European elections will fall on June 11, 2009, with a 'Super Thursday' of polls in prospect.
    The "One Vote Can Make a Difference" campaign -- organised by the Africa Centre and New Community Partnership (NCP) -- will focus on people from ethnic minorities who fulfil the criteria to vote.

People are eligible to cast a ballot if they have been resident in the country for six months before February 25, 2009, and are over 18 years of age.

Classic "super thursday" :pac:

yeah, if its organised properly it will be easy to get a member of our immigrant community onto the town council! Next stop, the dail.. yay!!! Some Nigerian Asylum seekers were ringing into Pat Kennys radio show last week and shouting "If Obama can do it, so can we".... yay! :o

yeah, if its organised properly it will be easy to get a member of our immigrant community onto the town council! Next stop, the dail.. yay!!! Some Nigerian Asylum seekers were ringing into Pat Kennys radio show last week and shouting "If Obama can do it, so can we".... yay! :o

Next thing you know there will be a boards candidate [spits on the floor] ;)

It's true Chinafoot. All this talk of "Integration"... but unfortunately just bringing up the numbers of asylum seekers in balbriggan does not equal integration. Providing cash to rent a main street premises and start a business, does not equals integration. And having no school places which forces the "educate together" school to be comprised of almost 200 african kids only, does not help them integrate with irish kids or learn our culture. It;s priven now that the only way to integrate people into a society is for them to learn and adapt to its culture. forcing the society to learn and adapt to the asylum culture by providing mosques or special schools etc is what breeds division. The people in charge here don't really no much about "ghettoism" and have not learned from the lessons of England and France. I think FG want to field an African asylum seeker at the local elections in June. He should easily get voted in if they mobilise the local asylum vote which should be easy enough. that should help things a bit more as he will be able to see how everything works and hopefully pass it down to his community and bring their concerns to the town council.

While I agree with part of this, I still firmly believe that integration requires compromises on BOTH sides, not simply foreigners living the Irish way of life. There should be space for their own culture to flourish also.

Chinafoot wrote: »
    While I agree with part of this, I still firmly believe that integration requires compromises on BOTH sides, not simply foreigners living the Irish way of life. There should be space for their own culture to flourish also.

history has proven that this does not really work unfortunately. Too many examples to name. For example, should a child be allowed to wear traditional headdress in schools? I think not. School uniforms are there so all students feel equal, one pupil wearing special veil or clothes is not an ideal integration situation for either group. Separate schools are not ideal either. I'm sure immigrants could have their own church meetings or social groups or whatever, but altering the way of life of the Irish would be very bad. Having road signs in polish etc (as was proposed), having special circumstances for foreigners. They man who killed a baby by performing a traditional Nigerian circumcision (bled to death) on the child. He was not imprisoned based on cultural grounds. If I did that to an Irish child I would be imprisoned. There is one law of the land in Ireland. It is not flexible and does not have different interpretations depending on your culture. It's law. It's black and white. Not grey. I guess thats just my own opinion. Either way, some action would be great, whatever way the govt choose to tackle this issue, it must be addressed.

They man who killed a baby by performing a traditional Nigerian circumcision (bled to death) on the child. He was not imprisoned based on cultural grounds. If I did that to an Irish child I would be imprisoned. There is one law of the land in Ireland.
    It no excuse but the reason that alot of these circumcisons are done like this is because far too many Irish surgeons object to routine circumcision on moral grounds and refuse to do it

• Advertisement

history has proven that this does not really work unfortunately. Too many examples to name. For example, should a child be allowed to wear traditional headdress in schools? I think not. School uniforms are there so all students feel equal, one pupil wearing special veil or clothes is not an ideal integration situation for either group. Separate schools are not ideal either. I'm sure immigrants could have their own church meetings or social groups or whatever, but altering the way of life of the Irish would be very bad. Having road signs in polish etc (as was proposed), having special circumstances for foreigners. They man who killed a baby by performing a traditional Nigerian circumcision (bled to death) on the child. He was not imprisoned based on cultural grounds. If I did that to an Irish child I would be imprisoned. There is one law of the land in Ireland. It is not flexible and does not have different interpretations depending on your culture. It's law. It's black and white. Not grey. I guess thats just my own opinion. Either way, some action would be great, whatever way the govt choose to tackle this issue, it must be addressed.

I don't believe I suggested that the law of the land shouldn't be upheld. But thank you for your very extreme example.

There is a need for compromise on BOTH sides. Objecting to a mosque being built is ridiculous. How does it harm you? Do you think all these children born in this country to foreign parents shouldn't have a place to profess thier faith? Or should they just all become Catholics since thats what the majority of this country is?

We've had this discussion before and we're not going to agree on it. Perhaps its more suited to Humanities anyway.

Back on topic. Until someone can prove (and hearing from your friend of a friend who knows someone who works in the HSE doesn't count) then I shall remain utterly sceptical that the story with the apartments is true.

Advertisement