Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 91 Couture vs Lesnar Event Thread - **Will Contain Spoilers**

• 14-11-2008 4:47pm

UFC 91 – MGM Grand Garden Arena

MAIN CARD

Randy Couture vs. Brock Lesnar (UFC heavyweight title)
    Kenny Florian vs. Joe Stevenson
    Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Josh Hendricks
    Demian Maia vs. Nate Quarry
    Dustin Hazelett vs. Tamdan McCrory

PRELIMINARY CARD

Jorge Gurgel vs. Aaron Riley
    Jeremy Stephens vs. Rafael dos Anjos
    Mark Bocek vs. Alvin Robinson
    Matt Brown vs. Ryan Thomas

I know there's a thread on the main event with 200 odd posts but this thread is for the discussion of all of the fights on the card and post fight discussion. It comes with a spoiler warning too so if you haven't seen the event, don't open the thread unless you want it spoiled.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

My top betting lines for this would be;

1] Couture - he's currently about 2.2 on betfair, but climbing and I think that might jump after the weigh-ins, and keep going possibly all the way to the start of the fight?

2] Quarry - he's currently at about 2.5 or something. I think he's being greatly underestimated. He isn't going to go to the ground to prove anything & I'd give him a good chance here.

All the others are at about what I think they should be, so little value there IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

So many choices for sub of the night. Great night of fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Ya just watched this. Very good matchups it must be said.
    The fight Setanta showed just after the Lesnar fight was an absolute cracker. Riely was it? Both fighters punching and particularily kicking seven shades of sh1te out of each other.

I'm glad in a way that Brock won. Randy looks as if he will be around for a few more fights which is great. I honestly thought the more the fight went on that Couture was looking stronger for the win, but all of a sudden BAM, out go the lights.

Florian also looked very impressive, and will look forward to him and BJ Penn if that goes ahead in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

That was class, damn I am glad that I am in :)

First PPV, unreal , also agree with Fizman about the fight after the Main Event.

Jesus Brock fcuked up Couture it was like a Anvil on Couture.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

brockobamajw6.jpg

couture_vs_lesnar.gif

hammer.gif

elbowgif.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Great event as a whole, not 1 bad fight.

I think Randy showed how vulnerable Brock is very well, but anything that Brock landed was visibly shaking Randy. Brock looked like he was tiring and I thought Couture might have it but I guess it was not to be (wasn't really up for one guy or the other though).

What a cracking uppercut :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

wasn't really up for one guy or the other though

I was in a similar way. Didn't really want either guy to lose.

And THAT uppercut! Holy christ my own head got rocked back from watching it so much in the replays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Brock is UNSTOPPABLE.

/bait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Great event as a whole, not 1 bad fight.

I think Randy showed how vulnerable Brock is very well, but anything that Brock landed was visibly shaking Randy. Brock looked like he was tiring and I thought Couture might have it but I guess it was not to be (wasn't really up for one guy or the other though).

Brock was almost gassed by the end of the first round when Randy had him against the cage. He and Randy pretty much went toe to toe until that blow to the temple. After that it was all he wrote.

Referee let it go on far too long afterwards. It was obvious Randy couldn't defend himself, but nearly 8-10 seconds went by before he actually stopped it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

Congrats to Brock on his win, it was a great fight. Randy came in with a great gameplan and seemed to be frustrating Brock and handling him pretty well, but that punch to the temple just ended it. Again the ref let it go a bit long, hate seeing someone like Randy taking shots like that.

Brock has also answered the questions about whether he could give and take a punch, he can on both accounts. I know he tired a bit but there wont be many guys that can use the clinch like Randy did to wear him out. 2 things come out of the fight, Brock has a huge future and Randy is still at 45 unbelievable and an inspiration to us all.

Its about time someobody took Jorge Gurgels BJJ black belt from him and strangled him with it. How many times has he know lost fights because he wnats to stand and trade rather than use his ground game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Brock was almost gassed by the end of the first round when Randy had him against the cage.

My thougths on this were posted in the other thread....
    With about 30seconds left in the 1st round Brock looked up at the clock and you could either say he looked tired or looked fed up at being in that position that Couture holds guys. I remember in one of the Couture/Lidell fights he had Chuck up against the fence quite a lot and Lidell was just standing there protesting to the ref that he wasn't doing anything.

I'd say Brock one the first round too , he controlled Couture on the mat for most of it

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Referee let it go on far too long afterwards. It was obvious Randy couldn't defend himself, but nearly 8-10 seconds went by before he actually stopped it.

I agree there, I wonder was he waiting for Lesnar to punch to the back of the head? hmm... conspiracy theories are for sherdog I suppose
    Definately went on for about 10punches too many. Mind you they weren't your normal sort of punches/elbows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Top to bottom I loved this, although I did not bother with the Bocek Robinson fight. Gurgel Vs Riley was FOTN quite easily, while the knock out from Jeremy Stephens was just insane. It will certainly be bought once out on DVD.

Where would I get to see the post show press conference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

gimmick wrote: »
    Top to bottom I loved this, although I did not bother with the Bocek Robinson fight. Gurgel Vs Riley was FOTN quite easily, while the knock out from Jeremy Stephens was just insane. It will certainly be bought once out on DVD.

Where would I get to see the post show press conference?

Hope this is what you're looking for!

http://www.findinternettv.com/Video,item,2916399176.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Fantastic UFC show some great fights. Was playing poker waiting for the fights to start and the game got a bit serious so didn't pay much attention to the first 2 fights.

MAIN CARD:

Demian Maia def. Nate Quarry via submission
    Looked like great performance from Demian, he's been a name I see alot but haven't taken much notice of his fights till now, one to watch.

Gabriel Gonzaga def. Josh Hendricks via TKO
    Was distracted as I say but from what I remember this was a great strike from Gonzaga.

Dustin Hazelett def. Tamdan McCrory via submission
    Hugely impressed by Hazelett's ju jitsu and a great (and seriously painful looking) submission.

Kenny Florian def. Joe Stevenson via submission
    Kenflo solid as usual. Looked great with both the standup and the ground game

Brock Lesnar def. Randy Couture via TKO
    Devastated. I know people are goona say this is an excuse, but I don't think Randy was as good as he was against Tim and Gonzaga, hands looked slower and his reactions weren't as sharp. Taking nothing away from Brock, he's potentially a long term UFC champ. Having seen this fight, I think Randy should hang up the gloves rather than taking one fight too many.

Aaron Riley def. Jorge Gurgel via unanimous decision
    Cheered me the hell up after Randy's defeat. What a fight. Both guys landing big shots over and over and neither man backing off for a second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Wouldn't say he's a long term champ, Afaik no ufc champion has successfully defended twice/more than twice??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

As I was watchin them on the ground I was thinkin to myself jesus Nog would go to town on Lesnar here and end it quicker than Mir did. Randy should have tried a few subs.

Thought Randy was doing well till he took that punch behind the ear. Is that not considered the back of the head? :confused:

One of the best events from the uf in a while. Every fight nearly was top drawer. Startin to like Florian now, (hated him a lot before!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Just when I was starting to think Randy could out work Brock, and finish him in the later rounds, he gets caught. Incredible performance from Randy, far bettr than I thought he would. I would pick Randy over Mir and probably over Nog too. Lesnar looked more vulnerable than I was expecting, from a cardio point of view.

Florian impresses me more and more each time he fights.

Gonzaga beat a nobody, and will presumably get a title shot once the current 4 man tournament is over.

I didnt think Damian Maia would have such an easy fight.

I really didnt enjoy the Gurgel fight. Maybe it was because I was exhausted. I dont see why Gurgel still gets fights in the UFC, he loses to unknown fighters, by getting into 3 round brawls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

dunkamania wrote: »
    I dont see why Gurgel still gets fights in the UFC, he loses to unknown fighters, by getting into 3 round brawls.

Look at how many people are calling it FOTN; people enjoy brawls.

Oh, I also agree that it should have been stopped earlier (despite the blows becoming untidy) but it was obvious that they were hoping Randy would somehow manage to defend himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Kazooie wrote: »
    Startin to like Florian now,(hated him a lot
    before!).

Same here. After his little elbow-fest against Sherk I couldn't stand him. But he has consistently shown that he is an excellent fighter and most importantly that he is still learning. I can't see him beating BJ Penn though.

Wouldn't say he's a long term champ, Afaik no ufc champion has successfully defended twice/more than twice??

Yea that's a fair point but Brock is proving to be a handful in all departments. He can take a punch, he hits hard, he's hard to take down, hard to control on the ground and in general is a beast. Tough fight for any of the current heavyweights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

anyone have a link to the fight?

I think the the secret to Brocks fight against Mir or Nog is keep his distance, use his reach and hit them with power. Yeah use the clinch and work those knees but avoid the ground at all costs.

I have no doubt he'd stop Mir within 2 rounds on the feet this time and lets be honest we all know how good Nog is but one day he is gonna take one too many beatings and not be able to find the sub.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Matt Hughes had 5 successful defences before losing to Penn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

rovert wrote: »

Jesus, that was one of the most poorly written pieces of trash i have seen in som time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Dragan wrote: »
    Jesus, that was one of the most poorly written pieces of trash i have seen in som time!
    As a Newcomer tell me this isnt true?

dunkamania wrote: »
    Matt Hughes had 5 successful defences before losing to Penn

Tito was the same before losing to Randy, think the original reference was to the H/W title which has been a bit of a poison chalice over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

rovert wrote: »

God that was painful to read. Really lost any interest in what he said after "Lesnar couldn't wrestle out of a paper bag". Lesnar's amateur wrestling record speaks for itself. Something along the lines of 106 - 8 (correct me if I'm wrong). Numberous championships achieved in the years he spent as an ameuter wrestler.

After that, he goes on a slightly paranoid rant about UFC getting into marketing of video games, action figures etc. in a similar way to the WWE. Well it just makes good buisness sense to make these kind of endeavours if you want to become a sucessfull company.

As for the fight being rigged. It's bull****. Lesnar was on the backfoot near the end of the first round and got in some nice elbows and knees at the start of the second round. Still Couture continued to fight. If it was predetermined I think he would have taken the dive after a vicous knee to the jaw rather than continue to take a hammering from a man the size of Lesnar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

What did yous think of Brock on the ground though ? He didn't really do much with Couture when he had him on his back . Then when he was going for the finish with the clubbin fists he had a wierd posture. He was sort of on his knees in side control. His game definately isn't perfect but it sure got the job done with Couture, fair balls to the guy.

Advertisement