Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 91 Couture vs Lesnar Event Thread - **Will Contain Spoilers**

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

hey fozzy/other ppl what's the difference in terms of quality between a NCAA Divison 1 champion and an Olympian? in other words, did Brock not go to the Olympics because it was bad timing? did he give up/loss interest? not quality get picked?

He won the NCAA in 2000 so he would have had to wait 4 years to go to the Olympics. The WWE threw a load of money at him so he went there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

hey fozzy/other ppl what's the difference in terms of quality between a NCAA Divison 1 champion and an Olympian? in other words, did Brock not go to the Olympics because it was bad timing? did he give up/loss interest? not quality get picked?

In the most general terms there's quite a difference. An NCAA Division I champion is a college student, usually around the age of 21 or 22, who has other obligations aside from wrestling training. They're the very best of their group, all from colleges that put a lot of emphasis on doing well in sports

An Olympian would usually have that sort of experience behind them, plus many more years of full-time training. So there would (generally) be a big enough gap in talent

Brock definitely did have the potential to compete in the Olympics if he had trained full-time for it I think. But as mentioned, when he finished college it was another four years until the Olympics. As well as that, there was only one US athlete in each weight class. Putting that much effort into something that risky can easily seem like a bad idea when there's a $250,000 per year contract being offered to you :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

According to the latest Wrestling Observer this show did in the range of 775,000 - 1,050,000 buys and closer to the high end of it. WWE wishes they had that many fans :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/11/26/673627/meltzer-ufc-91-does-big-nu

Meltzer says 800-850k buys,

I think I guessed, 800-900

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I guessed roughly 900. Thought it'd do well but wasnt gonna beat 66.
    Still not happy chuck bet ortiz again at that :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2008/11/27/gurgel-released-from-ufc-signs-with-strikeforce/

Gurgel released, signed with strikeforce, lets see if he remembers he is supposed to be a bjj blackbelt there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

dunkamania wrote: »
    http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2008/11/27/gurgel-released-from-ufc-signs-with-strikeforce/

Gurgel released, signed with strikeforce, lets see if he remembers he is supposed to be a bjj blackbelt there.

He has obviously taken to many smacks in the head. When he is told to work to his strenghts he obviously gets conflustered and thinks he's a striker.

dunkamania wrote: »

:confused: No he doesn't, he said between 775,000 and 1,050,000, as rovert said. I'm surprised. People must want to see Lesnar and Couture more than I thought

Fozzy wrote: »
    People must want to see Lesnar and Couture more than I thought

I wonder if it was despite the economy or not? Also as I pointed out before going by reports this event did major business in bars in the States so the viewers per Pay Per View buy or whatever would be higher than normal. So for UFC to pull this buyrate in light of that is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

If it's done the million buys, I wonder will they be thinking of a rematch somewhere down the line ?

• Advertisement

If it's done the million buys, I wonder will they be thinking of a rematch somewhere down the line ?

I doubt it, I think the match up has lost it's luster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I think it's a slight possibility that they may fight again. Everyone I know would be very interested in it again given how the fight played out and if it was built as Randy's last shot at the gold, I think it would do very well, maybe not as well as the first but still good enough to do it again.

Randy would need a win first though.

rovert wrote: »
    I doubt it, I think the match up has lost it's luster.

Worried that Randy might beat Brock second time round ? :pac: Lesnar's game wasn't impenetrable
    I think it's a slight possibility that they may fight again. Everyone I know would be very interested in it again given how the fight played out and if it was built as Randy's last shot at the gold, I think it would do very well, maybe not as well as the first but still good enough to do it again.

Randy would need a win first though.

It'll depend on the outcome of the Mir match and then the following Lesnar defense. If Randy can sign a match and get a decent win against someone, then Lesnar beats either Mir or Nogueira, I can't see why they wouldn't do a rematch. There was 3 Tito/Shamrock matches and 3 Lidell/Couture matches and the outcome of the third match of both of them series' were blatantly obvious imo.

I could see them fighting again but by the time it happens Randy will be another year older and Brock will have learned more, so Randy would have less of a chance than he did originally

I don't see it happening though, I don't think that Randy's going to fare too well in his upcoming fights

Fozzy wrote: »
    I could see them fighting again but by the time it happens Randy will be another year older and Brock will have learned more, so Randy would have less of a chance than he did originally

I don't see it happening though, I don't think that Randy's going to fare too well in his upcoming fights

But wouldn't you agree though there's a fair chance that they might do it ? Just for the money and potential draw ? Although yes indeed , if Couture can't get a win or two under his belt then there's not much point in giving him a title fight. Em, I'm probably showing my newbyness but have UFC not got a title rematch clause ? Or is that just wrestling ? :o

But wouldn't you agree though there's a fair chance that they might do it ?

If Couture gets two more wins at heavyweight and Brock is still champ then I think they have to do it. Or maybe even just one win if no other challengers are available. But I don't know first of all if Couture is going to have two more fights, and then if he's going to win them. If he loses his next one he may just retire for good
    Em, I'm probably showing my newbyness but have UFC not got a title rematch clause ? Or is that just wrestling ? :o

No rematch clauses, you'd have too many rematches then :pac: Considering that titles usually get defended about three times a year (two in some cases), you wouldn't have many opportunities for new challengers

Worried that Randy might beat Brock second time round ? :pac: Lesnar's game wasn't impenetrable

Nope it is just that fight exposed Randy as aging a lot since his last fight. In a years time Brock will improve and Randy will continue to age. Randy's reflexes will continue to slow and he be more susceptible to Brock's punches.

Advertisement