Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Beagle Pups

Options
  • 14-11-2008 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Can anyone help??

I am looking for two beagle puppies, but after searching for some time, I've still had no luck.

I've contacted some breeders, and they are looking for big bucks because their puppies are show standard. However, I just want two pets - not show dogs, and I don't have the big bucks to pay.

At the same time, I am worried about falling into the cradle of puppy farms, so want to be choosy about where I buy from. I've come across as on the net which I have rejected for various reasons. 1) because they are just too cheap - a "purebred" for €150 does not make sense! and 2) The sounded dogdy. I mentioned to one guy that I might bring my friend- who is a vet -with me to meet the puppies, to which he abruptly told me "I don't want any vets around here." Another person was only willing to deliver the pups... and so on.

Anyone any hints or tips?

Beagle 2008

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kazza23

We have 2 beagle x JRT pups available for rehoming at the moment. They're approximately 5 months old, male.

image011.jpg

PM me for further information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Those babies are stunning !!!
    I have a beagle x jacker and she is the best dog in the world
    Best of luck re-homing them

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kazza23

Yeah, they're cuties alright. They need out of their current situation asap so currently looking for a fosterer for them, if anyone would like to help out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

those little pups are adorable!

yes the "cheap" breeders definetly sound dodgy! any good breeder should be proud of his/her kennels and be more than happy for anybody to come and have a look. If you're only looking for a pet, why not look for a rescue beagle or beagle mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Skidmcmarx

I got a Beagle pup from a breeder in limerick recently. Saw both parents(who were incredible) Heres pics o my puppy

2970381816_47055116bd.jpg?v=0

2969565095_6a653e61a5.jpg?v=0

As far as i know there are still two left. They were born on the 17th of Aug if thats of ne help to u.

PM me for details. They people i delt with were very professional and had me out to their house to see the puppies once a week from 5 weeks onward to see that the were healthy and bein treated well. Very happy with buying from them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

just cos someone isnt selling pups at inflated prices/cheap doesnt mean they are puppy peddlers. people are always giving out because of breeders only breeding for money etc..putting a 300 euro price tag on a pup doent mean its well bred same way selling them at 100 doesnt mean its not well bred.
    as for not letting a vet visit or only deliverying they are bad signs and would stay away from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cazzer

Skidmcmarx wrote: »
    I got a Beagle pup from a breeder in limerick recently. Saw both parents(who were incredible) Heres pics o my puppy

2970381816_47055116bd.jpg?v=0

2969565095_6a653e61a5.jpg?v=0

As far as i know there are still two left. They were born on the 17th of Aug if thats of ne help to u.

PM me for details. They people i delt with were very professional and had me out to their house to see the puppies once a week from 5 weeks onward to see that the were healthy and bein treated well. Very happy with buying from them

Really hope im doing this right im new to this!! Can you please send me the contact details of this breeder please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

hi Cazzer

Proper kc foot beagle pups are expensive as a rule € 750 or € 850 i think . As you say you don't want a show dog so your not to bothered about kc reg.

Things to bear in mind are

See BOTH parents if your not buying reg - why - there are a lot of dogs sold as beagles, but they may not be foot beagles or pocket beagles which are the small guy's, there are a lot of field beagles about which grow very leggy and some can look very whippety - totally different, and they have a really really strong hunting instinct, they will not come back when called if off the leash and they pick up a scent.

If that happens to you you may lose him and you'd be most upset. these guys are used to following horses for hours on end.

I know because i used to have one, he was stunning and a fab dog, brill with the kids and other dogs. but his need to hunt was so bad it wasn't fair on him to keep him. i rehomed him to a lad that hunted and had more land to keep him. I lost him in the woods one day and he was gone for hours, fortunately it was near to home and he made his way back.

I hope this helps you. Also just to let you know a cavalier x jack russel turns out in looks very similar to a beagle.

happy hunting. Let us know if you find one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 DaddyOSphynx

breeders charging more for show standard animals is different to charging more for registered animals!

The cost of registering a puppy or kitten is very little in comparision to the price the animal will be sold for so good breeders should not have any hesitation in registering all animals they breed.

Buying an animal without papers does not mean you are paying less because you are not looking for a show quality pet - it means you are buying from someone who has not signed up to a basic code of ethics and standards. A registered breeder has gone to the trouble of registering themselves, a cattery/kennel name and their animals. They have made themselves accountable to a registering body, agreeing to a code of conduct that protects their animals and the purchasers of their animals. They have a reputation and name to protect.

Please, please people, don't fall into the myth peddled by less scrupulous breeders that 'papers' only matter if you show or breed. If an intentional breeder of pedigree animals is not registered or is not registering their pet and show standard animals, you should wonder why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Buying an animal without papers does not mean you are paying less because you are not looking for a show quality pet - it means you are buying from someone who has not signed up to a basic code of ethics and standards. A registered breeder has gone to the trouble of registering themselves, a cattery/kennel name and their animals. They have made themselves accountable to a registering body, agreeing to a code of conduct that protects their animals and the purchasers of their animals. They have a reputation and name to protect.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with that. A lot of puppy farmers do register their pups, but they most certainly aren't agreeing to any code of conduct. Can you please tell me what the comeback is on any of these registered breeders if you have problems with the pup - say health problems? In my experience, and from talking to a lot of people, the IKC won't do anything - they certainly won't refuse to register any more pups from that breeder. It isn't exactly difficult to come up with a kennel name and get it registered, and when it ensures that you can charge more for your pups, thats why the unscrupulous breeders do it, and reputation means nothing to them, because theres always another person out there looking for a puppy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 DaddyOSphynx

I don't breed dogs so I don't know the IKC complaints/disciplinary procedures.

I am not saying that registration is a guarantee of quality breeding - the point I am making is it is so affordable and straightforward to register kittens/puppies so I would be wary of someone who isn't. I was responding to the idea that there is no need to seek out a registered pet unless you want to show it and trying to remind people that there are other reasons why choosing a registered breeder and pet is important.

Of course it is still just as important to apply all the usual criteria to select an ethical breeder but my post was intended to be a very specific response to a small point.

Replied to PM.

Here are some up to date pics of Cooper

3287116599_4ef73ab0f9.jpg?v=0

3287923698_97cdb38810.jpg?v=0

3287097423_fc89c3bac4.jpg?v=0

3287100703_73f5daf3f4.jpg?v=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

That wall at the back looks kind of inviting for him to jump over!!
    God he is cute though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Dundalk City

That Beagle is lovely exactly what im looking for,, could you please forward me info from his breeder thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 34 evrumum

hi there .. we have a beagle too and she cost us 700 from a breeder in navan 2.5 years ago. she's a dream. tried uploading photos but couldn't .. do you want a puppy as i know of someone trying to rehome a 1.5 year old male at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Dundalk City

Yeah its a puppy were looking for its for my dad. Were in navan do you remeber any details!
    Thanks for your help.

sent you pm with details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 apple12345

hi there i was woundering if you could help me as i am looking for a beagle puppy a female one with ikc reg can you help??

hi there .. will root out the details again that we got our bailey off and pm them to you. he was a really nice man and dogs fully registered etc and really well looked after. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 harvey180

Hi just wonderin if anyone can help me. I'm lookin for a male beagle pup who is IKC reg.
    Also wonderin what is the difference between a foot beagle and beagle? as I have a beagle and dont want to be gettin too diff types. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beagle#Variations
    should help with what a 'foot beagle' might be considered as, I think they're more common as a hunting beagle perhaps. (not that they're only for hunting, but hunters would use the foot beagles I think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 apple12345

harvey180 wrote: »
    Hi just wonderin if anyone can help me. I'm lookin for a male beagle pup who is IKC reg.
    Also wonderin what is the difference between a foot beagle and beagle? as I have a beagle and dont want to be gettin too diff types. Thanks

hi there i found my beagle pup on done deal there are some good ones there with ikc reg just make sure to watch out for pup farms.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Windwalker

We got our little guy from done deal too, they had no problem letting us collect him and see his mom. When we got his papers we discovered that his parentage was from a very reputable breeders stock.
    He's bold out and very hard to train but I wouldn't swop him for the world. That face has gotten him out of so much trouble. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

i am also looking for a beagle puppy..or a cross with jack russell even. have been looking on done deal and majority are around the €300. my boyfriend would love to a rescue dog from the pound or that but i dont think you would find many puppies there let alone a beagle puppy? or am i wrong in thinking that?

found an ad today with some beagle puppies which i thought was based near me but turns out their in scotland and owner now saying their not for free but for adoption and for around €200 would send one over to me. seems bit dodge to me now shame cos they are gorgeous!

so is done deal a good way to go?
    Skidmcmarx, windwalker- do you still have the details of the breeder you got your gorgeous beagle from?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭DannyKing

Windwalker wrote: »
    We got our little guy from done deal too, they had no problem letting us collect him and see his mom. When we got his papers we discovered that his parentage was from a very reputable breeders stock.
    He's bold out and very hard to train but I wouldn't swop him for the world. That face has gotten him out of so much trouble. :D

Wow, hes an amazing looking dog. If anyone has any info on breeders in or around galway that would be great. I am also looking for a registered male beagle pup.

Windwalker wrote: »

Windwalker, did you get Oz in limerick by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Windwalker

I'm hoping I've replied to anyone who asked about Oz but just in case, we got him in Sligo.
    I don't really have the info as the breeders number has changed (can understand that with done deal) but I have the name and as they were registered I figure the kennel club would probably have contact info.
    He is a total pet, very hyper but that's a beagle trait. :D
    If you want the breeders name, feel free to pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭DannyKing

Still looking for a beagle so if anyone knows? Just gonna bump the thread.
    Thanks.

Advertisement