Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sata hard drive BIOS recognition

Options
  • 14-11-2008 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey, I'm having a problem with a new build. Am using a GeForce6100PM-M2 motherboard, bought Western Digital WD Caviar SE16 hard drive. (Model no. WD5000AAKS) On boot up computer recognises that something is plugged in but doesn't detect what it is. On the Western Digital site it states that this drive is SATAII. Does that mean it wont work with the SATA connectors on the board?
    Any help on this one may save remaining hair. . .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

It should work no problem, as its backwards compatible. I would reccomend upgrading the boards bios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

set it up in bios as drive d, go to computer management,storage, format drive,quick format NTFS FILE format.is it showing up in system,device manager.as a hard drive.IF ITS new it needs to be formatted,otherwise it won,t show up in MY computer.USE an old hd with an os ,as drive c: boot drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fastbrano

Have downloaded bios upgrade and tried booting using a maxtor 40gig hd. Each time I try to boot "NTLDR missing, press ctrl alt delete to restart" comes up. Read up a bit about it, seems the drive is corrupted, although it was working fine on my other pc 5 mins before I pulled it. Quick formatted it before I removed it, wonder does it need the longer format?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

fastbrano wrote: »
    "NTLDR missing, press ctrl alt delete to restart"
    Usually means "I can't Windows, help".

My guess is that, as it worked on other machine's first, it's something to do with the BIOS.ini file on the main drive. PC boots up, looks at BOOT.ini see's that the Windows should be on (for example) Disk1, Partition2, looks there, see's an empty space, and quits.

Advertisement