Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

e71 issues (not many)

• 14-11-2008 6:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭

Ok all, I know a good few of us have gotten ourselves this beauty of a phone, but there's a few things that have been niggling me a bit.

Overall the phone is fantastic. Email straight to the handset within seconds of receiving it, GPS and maps to figure out where I am. Lovely big screen for watching the odd video, and the brilliant qwerty keyboard.

First problem: Photos and Videos aren't appearing in the Gallery AT ALL when I save to Memory Card in the camera. Works fine when I have phone memory selected. Is there a setting within Gallery that I can't find. Anyone else have trouble with this? It could be that my memory card is a little bit corrupt so I might just try reformatting it.

Second problem: It's not really something that all that necessary to the phone itself, but it bugged me that I couldn't get it working. The Barcode reader in Tools has yet to successfully scan any barcode I've pointed it at. Is it particularly crap at sensing them or what?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Ok all, I know a good few of us have gotten ourselves this beauty of a phone, but there's a few things that have been niggling me a bit.

Overall the phone is fantastic. Email straight to the handset within seconds of receiving it, GPS and maps to figure out where I am. Lovely big screen for watching the odd video, and the brilliant qwerty keyboard.

First problem: Photos and Videos aren't appearing in the Gallery AT ALL when I save to Memory Card in the camera. Works fine when I have phone memory selected. Is there a setting within Gallery that I can't find. Anyone else have trouble with this? It could be that my memory card is a little bit corrupt so I might just try reformatting it.

Second problem: It's not really something that all that necessary to the phone itself, but it bugged me that I couldn't get it working. The Barcode reader in Tools has yet to successfully scan any barcode I've pointed it at. Is it particularly crap at sensing them or what?
    barcode reader is for smart codes such as: http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:55kDIOThlIWV3M:http://www.bipolarplanet.com/~void/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/semacodebpmobi.gif

not any ole barcode you point it at ;)
    gallery works fine on o2 and voda E71 in our house, phone mem and memory card!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The gallery is reading from the memory card fine for me, you get a little sd card icon next to the images in the list view.

It's the funny square code that the bar code reader will recgonise but you don't see a huge number of them about, they are a big thing in Japan though apaerntly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

robinph wrote: »
    The gallery is reading from the memory card fine for me, you get a little sd card icon next to the images in the list view.

It's the funny square code that the bar code reader will recgonise but you don't see a huge number of them about, they are a big thing in Japan though apaerntly.

Strange it's limited to them. They're called QR codes BTW.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_Code

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I found the keys very small in comparison to some other phones. THe design on them encouraged my fingers to slide off and hit the keys around. Do you find this at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Small keys, text messaging is not as fast as some non-symbians. It doesn't connect properly to my parrat easi drive hands free. Need to sort that out.

I find it difficult to get in to the gallery, though it works fine. Some areas are just not that intuitive. I guess it'll grow on me though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

only problem i have noticed is that some contacts txt messages still stay as their number rather than showing their name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Spankeh wrote: »
    only problem i have noticed is that some contacts txt messages still stay as their number rather than showing their name.
    Happens sometimes if ya have number saved in twice

Random wrote: »
    I found the keys very small in comparison to some other phones. THe design on them encouraged my fingers to slide off and hit the keys around. Do you find this at all ?

Tbh, I like the keypad, and have no problem...except: I usually put my phones in some nice krusell cases for protection - that's what made my e61 last for all that time. But the case for the e71 makes the keypad just about unusable. The film sticks to the pad and the screen and pressing one key relults in a random event... Rubbish. But I can see how the pad could be difficult for big-gish fingers and or if it's your first qwerty. Mind you: use the treo pro for 10 minutes, and you'll appreciate the e71's keypad.
    As to the slow gallery opening: the e71 has sh*t loads of ram so you don't need to close your fave apps... I hide gallery and musicplayer, i.e. minimise them - you can do the same with a new-message shortcut, and you should have zero lag! Make use of the ram. Still have 60mb + of ram...

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Ok, I've had a 6310i, 3310c and a 6300 all connect sans problem to a Parrat Easi Drive. I mean I've used them *extensively* with the Parrat.

The E71, two days old, cannot maintain a connection for more than 3 seconds before it disconnects. Searching the web, it seems the E71 has tonnes of issues with its bluetooth implementation. If that transpires, i.e. I can't connect to the Parrat - it's getting a big fat 0 out of 10. Business phone my ass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

there's a firmware upgrade just out that might fix this

• Advertisement

Ok, I've had a 6310i, 3310c and a 6300 all connect sans problem to a Parrat Easi Drive. I mean I've used them *extensively* with the Parrat.

The E71, two days old, cannot maintain a connection for more than 3 seconds before it disconnects. Searching the web, it seems the E71 has tonnes of issues with its bluetooth implementation. If that transpires, i.e. I can't connect to the Parrat - it's getting a big fat 0 out of 10. Business phone my ass!

I googled a bit, and my impression is the 'tonnes' of bt issues are limited to a number of devices: parrott and other car kits in particular. It seems to be more of a comnpatibility issue of those kits, afaik... my lady uses her e71 a lot with my samsung p2 mp3 player over bt... Paired, you can answer and make calls via the p2, and apparently that connection is rock solid - for hours. So, indeed, a fw update might help. Also: have you tried other bt devices? How does your e71 work with bt connections to laptops, headphones, etc???

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭itsmine

My E71 connects to my Parrot car kit no problem for both calls and using the Parrot external GPS with TomTom installed on the E71.

The 2 queries I have about mine are:
    [1] The battery doesn't last very long - I get 1 business day max out of it. How does that compare to the rest of yours? I went back to the shop and asked and the guy told me that leaving bluetooth and push email turned on really drains the battery. But I upgraded from an E61 -> E61i -> E71 and the E71 battery isn't a patch on its predecessors. Did I get a dud battery, or is a 1-day life normal?

[2] I installed Nokia Email on the phone to download my Gmails and it doesn't push the emails any more.. It did it fine for the first month or so, then it stopped. Now it only pushes the emails to my phone when I select the synchronise icon... and even then, not every time. I couldn't get the builtin E71 email client to work on anything but the O2 email address. How are the rest of you having gmail pushed to your phones? I have 2 accounts (1 gmail, 1 O2), both of which I would like to receive on the phone.

itsmine wrote: »
    My E71 connects to my Parrot car kit no problem for both calls and using the Parrot external GPS with TomTom installed on the E71.

The 2 queries I have about mine are:
    [1] The battery doesn't last very long - I get 1 business day max out of it. How does that compare to the rest of yours? I went back to the shop and asked and the guy told me that leaving bluetooth and push email turned on really drains the battery. But I upgraded from an E61 -> E61i -> E71 and the E71 battery isn't a patch on its predecessors. Did I get a dud battery, or is a 1-day life normal?

[2] I installed Nokia Email on the phone to download my Gmails and it doesn't push the emails any more.. It did it fine for the first month or so, then it stopped. Now it only pushes the emails to my phone when I select the synchronise icon... and even then, not every time. I couldn't get the builtin E71 email client to work on anything but the O2 email address. How are the rest of you having gmail pushed to your phones? I have 2 accounts (1 gmail, 1 O2), both of which I would like to receive on the phone.

I have 2 yahoo and a gmail account that I setup using the built in email client. All 3 work fine.
    Battery life on both our E71's (mi wife's got one too) is excellent. She has hers constantly connected to a samsung P2 mp3 player via bt, and mine is used so much for mobile internet it's ridiculous... I use om for hours at a time, use joikuspot to connect my laptop via wifi etc etc... I charge every 36 - 48 hrs, and more as a routine than out of need. Some mobile site tested e71, e.g., with a constant locked gps connection, and got over 14 hours out of it...beat every other device they ever tested. I think your battery may be a dud?! However, if your wifi scanning, bt, and email is on 24/7 you may be pushing it? I don't know, really! I check my email when I feel like it, not when a machine tells me to ;) , and I'm not comfortable with having wifi and bt on constantly for a number of reasons... But battery on e71 beats my old e61 completely!
    P.S.: on my wife's o2 e71 were issues with the email client as well! The wizard wouldn't set up anything but one O2 and one yahoo account. Set up your accounts manually!!! Trick to do that(so the wizard doesn't try to do it automatically): before you try to setup a new account, switch the phone to offline/flightmode. Then setup a new email account. The wizard won't be able to connect, and will then let you edit the account manually ;) !!! Get your settings from your email provider!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭TontoMurphy

Any Idea when the firmware update is out. Been looking for the last few weeks or so.. Plus, whats the product code on your phone if you did manage to update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I find it difficult to get in to the gallery

Go into menu, then into Modes..then down to home screen application, then into aplication shortcuts.....set the gallery up as one of the shortcuts and you'll have direct access to gallerys from the home screen....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,209 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Does anyone have any issues with signal loss? I am on 3 network in the North and over night lose the signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Does anyone have any issues with signal loss? I am on 3 network in the North and over night lose the signal.

UMTS or dual mode? If 3g coverage disappears you should only lose signal for a matter of seconds before GSM kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,209 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It is on dual mode the signal was gone this morning when i woke up had to turn off and on that sorted it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It is on dual mode the signal was gone this morning when i woke up had to turn off and on that sorted it out.

I think they should write that in the instruction book, not many problems with a 3 phone that can't be sorted with a simple power on, power off...
    I've only had to turn mine on and off twice since I got it...

I wonder how the voda and 02 heads are getting on with it, does it ever need to be rebooted?

I think they should write that in the instruction book, not many problems with a 3 phone that can't be sorted with a simple power on, power off...
    I've only had to turn mine on and off twice since I got it...

I wonder how the voda and 02 heads are getting on with it, does it ever need to be rebooted?

I have the voda one, my wife the o2. Hers occasionally has probs on dual mode when she has bad reception, but it doesn't require a reboot! Switching to gsm solves it. I have mine usually on gsm because here in Mayo, voda's 3g is a bit sketchy anyways. I turn on 3g when I know the signal's good and I have sth to download. Haven't had to reboot either of the 2! Opera mini can occasionally freeze when i'm getting impatient with long loading and press stop, but handy task man kills it without a reboot.

• Advertisement

Well on meteor I've only ever had to reboot occasionally, either when installing something that needs a reboot or if I get a complete crash (which so far has only happens when I tried to use VNC - gave up on that since).

Otherwise it's been switched on 24/7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I'm also having network connection issues with my e71 on the 3 network. I bought the phone as an upgrade last week.

For some reason the phone will drop the network connection and I have to restart the phone to get it to connect again. I contacted support last night and am getting a new replacement tomorrow.

I wonder if this is specific to the 3 network/software and if a de-branding would solve the problem...?

Other than the above issue, its a great phone!

ambrose

I'm also having network connection issues with my e71 on the 3 network. I bought the phone as an upgrade last week.

For some reason the phone will drop the network connection and I have to restart the phone to get it to connect again. I contacted support last night and am getting a new replacement tomorrow.

I wonder if this is specific to the 3 network/software and if a de-branding would solve the problem...?

Other than the above issue, its a great phone!

ambrose

yeah, who knows? could be 3's firmware? They all have to meddle...both o2's and voda's e71 dislike certain email addresses - but not the same. O2 killed certain standard s60 shortcuts (like starting web by holding space-key etc)...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I don't know how I did it but somehow I seem to have turned on predictive text on my E71 and cannot figure out where to turn it back off again. Predictive text is kind of pointless when I've got a full keyboard available and it coming up with daft suggestions for works that I've actually spelt perfectly fine is getting annoying now. It's got a couple of ~ next to the "Abc" in the top right corner which I think is the predictive text indicator.

Any ideas as to what I did and how to turn it off again?

robinph wrote: »
    Any ideas as to what I did and how to turn it off again?

Options -> Input Options -> Predictive Text -> Off

Ta.

Don't remember ever going through that menu, but at least it's silly suggestions are off now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Matamoros

I can't open video clips on youtube. Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

what app are you using?
    Matamoros wrote: »
    I can't open video clips on youtube. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Matamoros

I just go onto the net and go to youtube and try to look at clips from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

make sure your browser supports flash!
    Matamoros wrote: »
    I just go onto the net and go to youtube and try to look at clips from there.

Advertisement