Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

e71 issues (not many)

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Matamoros

thanks for your reply, when i try to look at a clip, real player comes on but then i get a message saying unable to connect or mostly " maximum number of connections in use. close an active connection first"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Matamoros wrote: »
    I just go onto the net and go to youtube and try to look at clips from there.

I'm using the standard e71 browser, I just go to www.youtube.ie and can search and watch videos straight away...

can you go to any other websites, what browser are you using, what network?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭TheAlmightyZeus

I prefer to use Mobitubia for watching stuff on YouTube. Its gives you the option to download the video and the quality is great, audio is a little bit out of sync on some clips.

As for the E71, I'm loving it! Haven't had any problems with it really and I got the hang of QWERTY keypad pretty quickly. Actually I'm posting this from my mobile right now. Very happy with the GPS aswell, satellites are very quick to connect and signal holds well. Call quality is excellent aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Just wanted to give an update.
    I had my e71 replaced but was having the same reception issues. Reception would just drop and not come back for hours or not without a restart. Fed up I decided to de-brand and updated the firmware. No reception issues since.
    Happy days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭dubmick

lads sorry to hi-jack this thread, I had a look at the E71 last night and was very impressed.

A few questions:

What is the wi-fi like? Can you set push email to work only when wi-fi is on? I think I'd mainly be only using email in work and on the sofa!

When I'm out and about I could use 3g for email. Is the minimum charge per day 99c with both O2 and Vodafone?

• Advertisement

I find the wi-fi on the E71 excellent. Much better than on my N95 8GB. Yes you can set push email to only work on a defined wi-fi connection. But if you're going between networks you'll have to switch the connection each time.

Unless maybe you can get it to switch automatically when you use the "switch mode" feature?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Switch automatically between 3g and wifi? Go to the download folder on your phone and download smartconnect from birdstep. Its free and allows you to add the access points (3g,wifi etc) to an access group and then choose the access group in your mail client. This will then choose the best connection between whatever is in the group.
    I find the wi-fi on the E71 excellent. Much better than on my N95 8GB. Yes you can set push email to only work on a defined wi-fi connection. But if you're going between networks you'll have to switch the connection each time.

Unless maybe you can get it to switch automatically when you use the "switch mode" feature?

Thanks elderlemon. I'm going to give that app a try myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Hi
    Got the E71 yesterday on 3 and think the email set-up has gotten the better of me!

I can't figure out how to set up my gmail account so that the messages are pushed to my phone.

I downloaded mobile mail but while setting it up in the activation stage it stops and says there is an error (-33) has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks to anyone that can offer advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

anyone know how or if my E71 music player will play windows media audio files?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Gekko wrote: »
    anyone know how or if my E71 music player will play windows media audio files?

Yes.
    According to specs, anyways. Haven't tried it myself ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭jamesd

Just wanted to give an update.
    I had my e71 replaced but was having the same reception issues. Reception would just drop and not come back for hours or not without a restart. Fed up I decided to de-brand and updated the firmware. No reception issues since.
    Happy days :)

I am having reception issues too with my e71, has your signal been good since?

jamesd wrote: »
    I am having reception issues too with my e71, has your signal been good since?

Tell me. What network? My wife's o2 E71 has much worse reception than my vodafone one(hers loses signal even when full bars. Also browser loses connection more frequently etc), esp'ly when switching between 3g and gsm... And in the same locations, my old unlocked voda e61 works better with an o2 sim than her o2 e71... Also, btw, o2's e71 built quality not as good as vodafone's as I've noticed now. Screen is not flush etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭jamesd

Mine is on the vodafone network - I tried the trick i read online that said to hold the phone with your 2 fingers half way up the phone instead of holding the bottom where the ariel is located and this seems to help the reception but it's a joke for reception.
    My old nokia 6300 had no bother with signal, glad I got this phone as a €50 upgrade

I am on vodafone too and have no problems with reception. No matter how I hold the phone the signal doesn't change. I also find that the E71 gets much better reception than my old E61.
    jamesd wrote: »
    Mine is on the vodafone network - I tried the trick i read online that said to hold the phone with your 2 fingers half way up the phone instead of holding the bottom where the ariel is located and this seems to help the reception but it's a joke for reception.
    My old nokia 6300 had no bother with signal, glad I got this phone as a €50 upgrade

Still no reception issues since the firmware upgrade.
    On the odd occasion there has been a few seconds delay switching between 2G and 3G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Anyone here with an E71 have trouble with the phone book?

When I open it, it either takes 5-10 seconds to display the details of a contact or causes the phone to reset.

silvine wrote: »
    Anyone here with an E71 have trouble with the phone book?

When I open it, it either takes 5-10 seconds to display the details of a contact or causes the phone to reset.

Nope.
    do you have windows live messenger installed? That app seems to mess with contacts! Other than that I have no idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No problem with the phone book either,

When you save a new contact but they've already sent you a text, the text message dosen't update the sender information in contacts, any way you can get it to....had the same problem on an e65 and e51...tks

When you save a new contact but they've already sent you a text, the text message dosen't update the sender information in contacts, any way you can get it to....had the same problem on an e65 and e51...tks

Btw, can you guys move emails to folders? what fw/type e71? I can only move sms! No big deal, but on the e61 it was nice to move emails around...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

So do your phone book details open up instantly? Might bring my phone back...

Mine has a slight delay (1-2 seconds) first time in but after that its instant. Try a full hardware reset and see if that fixes it. Be sure to do a backup before the reset.
    silvine wrote: »
    So do your phone book details open up instantly? Might bring my phone back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭mcguyver

elderlemon wrote: »
    Switch automatically between 3g and wifi? Go to the download folder on your phone and download smartconnect from birdstep. Its free and allows you to add the access points (3g,wifi etc) to an access group and then choose the access group in your mail client. This will then choose the best connection between whatever is in the group.

I'v tried this and set up different groups e.g wifi, wifi+gprs but if I try and use two apps e.g one with the wifi AP and one With the wifi+gprs AP it will only work with one? How are you finding it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

elderlemon wrote: »
    Mine has a slight delay (1-2 seconds) first time in but after that its instant. Try a full hardware reset and see if that fixes it. Be sure to do a backup before the reset.

Iv noticed the delay. It depends if your phone book is open (you might have closed out of it but it may not have properly closed out). If its not fully closed it loads instantly otherwise it takes a second or two to load. No biggy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Did you figure this? It seems to be related to the problem when you restore your phone. Its like the message index needs to be rebuilt.

Advertisement