Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending Broadband 150m

Options
  • 14-11-2008 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

What would I need to do to send a broadband connection roughly 150m away? I want to have broadband in my workshop. Will a wired connection degrade over that distance? Would I need any special cable. I have line of sight if a wireless setup would be more suitable. Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

is regular cat5 cable completely out of the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

If its going outside you better use external Cat5, otherwise you will be changing the cable after a few years.

I have a connection running about 70m, IIRC around 100m is the limit for Cat5, although when I was researching I did come across people that had run it up to 150m without any apparent problems......it does however increase your chances of problems with longer lengths.

My advice would be, if you can wire then do. Wireless is really hit and miss a lot of the time without very good equipment. I too had line of sight to where I wanted to send and had a good set up, but the pings were too high to make voip usable when more than one person was connected to the wireless router.

It will also be less expensive to wire it, I paid about 80euro for 105m of external Cat5 from my local electric supplier, I had to crimp the ends myself of course, its a 5 minute job with the right tool.

If you can run the cable then really its the best option, pule you can always clamp a wireless router on to the end of it to broadcast the signal around your workshop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Old Jim wrote: »
    What would I need to do to send a broadband connection roughly 150m away? I want to have broadband in my workshop. Will a wired connection degrade over that distance? Would I need any special cable. I have line of sight if a wireless setup would be more suitable. Thanks for any advice.

If the workshop is on the same mains supply as the house this sort of thing should do :

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=357094

or you might find similar in a local pc store .

They send the data over the mains wiring, just plug one into the mains in the house and hook it to the modem , plug the other into the mains in the shed and plug your laptop into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you might well find similar issues with the homeplug type devices as with regular ethernet.

have you considered a cantenna pointed at your house? I'm assuming the house has a wifi router or similar?

a cantenna pointed right at the house from your workshop (or visa versa) would certainly be the cheapest option, esp. if you already have some form of wireless in the house.

even if there's no wifi in the house, a router with 2 built in removable antenna would be perfect. just remove one antenna from the router and attach a cantenna and point it at the workshop and it should be able to hold a connection with your laptops built in wifi over that distance.

i don't suppose it matters which way you do it really. if you got a router with no removable antenna you'd need the cantenna in the workshop pointed at it, but otherwise having it at either end should work fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

making it run at 10mbit should give you more range if there are problems

• Advertisement
Advertisement