Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards experiment continues

Options
  • 14-11-2008 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi All,

As the start-of-term hubbub has calmed down now, I thought I'd update all the DIT Boards regulars on how our experiment is going.

To refresh your memory, for the past two years Campus Life has mailed first years and directed them to the DIT board if they had any queries (to get the real story about DIT).

First of all the reaction from first years has been very positive, (and you've all been very helpful - thanks very much). Secondly, the traffic to the site has increased a lot.

From mid-August to end October 2006, the board had 28 posts and 190 replies.

In the same period in 2007 this increased to 89 posts and 820 replies.

And (drum roll) in the same period (louder drum roll) in 2008 this increased again to 170 posts and 1663 replies.

So thanks again, and if you ever actually get your act together and organise a boards get-together, drop me a pm or an e-mail and I'll put some money towards refreshments as a thank you!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Onwards and upwards!

Lemme know if I can help too...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Thanks for the offer Im sure we will get around to it one of these days. Too late now to start organising a Christmass get together I think but possibly in the new year. Its good to know we are helping with the first years. I remember how daunting it was not knowing anything about the college at frist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭campuslife

Hi All,

Just some advance warning that Campus Life posted out nearly 4000 induction packs to our incoming students yesterday (the student numbers in first year are up significantly this year). In the pack we refer them to the DIT thread on Boards, so if they have any questions they can get the real story from other students.

This is the third year we've referred students to Boards, and it seems to be working out well. Your support and advice is appreciated - keep up the good work.

(And my offer of providing refereshments for a Boardsie get-together remains open!).

Thanks again,
    Brian Gormley

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

We'll try our best to answer the youngling's questions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I think the real question here is if there'll be an actual boards.ie drinky-winky meet up this year? Last year there were good intentions but it never happened...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

I think the real question here is if there'll be an actual boards.ie drinky-winky meet up this year? Last year there were good intentions but it never happened...

God meet you people in real life :pac:
    that would be the worse thing ever i say !
    I mean i would still go . But the hole social contact thing in RL, i am more of a keyboard warrior , dont know if i can handle RL trolling yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

God meet you people in real life :pac:
    that would be the worse thing ever i say !
    I mean i would still go . But the hole social contact thing in RL, i am more of a keyboard warrior , dont know if i can handle RL trolling yet.

Aren't you involved with game-soc?

Just sayin'... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Assmaster_Kronk

It can be a masquerade trolling party:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Yeah we all dicussed it enough last yea but it never happened! IT could be good to get something together this year. Maybe wait until the start of October, when everybody is settled in and then ask who's interested in a beers.

It would be just rude to not take Brian's contribution for a second year running :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

I got the pack today but I actually missed the part on boards, where abouts is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I got 2 packs today...saw the boards bit mentioned in the cover letter. Good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭falipo

Didnt see anything about boards in it....But was loving the shiny gold enevelope!

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

falipo wrote: »
    Didnt see anything about boards in it....But was loving the shiny gold enevelope!

Hah same, When I saw it in the post I thought it was the FHM hot 100 issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭-ilikeshorts

I felt charlie, all I was thinking was I've got a golden ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,177 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

got the pack today, was surprised to see boards get a plug on the cover letter. Anyone in Marketing, see you in 2 weeks :) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

The chances of me ever being in the same room voluntarily with half of these vapid ****heads is zero.

edit: oh hi new people don't be offended

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

The chances of me ever being in the same room voluntarily with half of these vapid ****heads is zero.

edit: oh hi new people don't be offended

:D good times , feel the love

Well Gamesoc did a social night getogether with Gigsoc last year, maybe we should do one with boards this year , might be a laugh.
    Would one of the mods want to help me organize it ?

Might as well edit this , just to say this is a serious post , i have experience orrganinzing social nights out, and since there are lots of gamesoc members on boards , if we do a gamesoc/boards get together i can get the society to put money towards it on top of whatever campus life give it (towards a venue or food or whatever). So yea should i start a new thread about it and would any of the mods be willing to give me a hand (i am sure it wont take that much work)?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭-ilikeshorts

Does anybody know if we just jump straight into college after our orientation day, I'm on the 16th, or do we wait till the monday after to start properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭elementalwater

Lectures start on the 21st of September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

It's great that college bodies are encouraging things like boards.ie.

It'd be nice if the board grew into more than just a Q&A forum, a bit of community would be nice. Just sayin, seems to be a major lack of any DIT forum, the SU one certainly isn't used much from what I can see.

• Advertisement
Advertisement