Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts

Options
  • 14-11-2008 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hey!

I will be applying to the CAO in a couple of weeks and am thinking of putting down arts.

Just wondering wat the course is like and how many hours a week

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

Arts is really the option to take lots of other courses so it would depend greatly on what subjects you choose. If you want choice and you prefer humanities to sciences it's the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Depending on your subjects, you're looking at roughly 13 hours a week in 1st year.

Mind you, that's 'in' class work. The amount of work required off of your own back seems to be greatly underestimated by some people.

Good luck ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

Beware, if you take a language you're more likely to be looking at 18 hours a week. I'm in final Arts and I've found it to be a great degree, the only thing is like all courses, it requires a lot of self discipline! Like all college courses Arts has its good and bad points. Yes, the classes in first year are huge but this diminishes as you progress and you get to know more people. As another poster said it's very easy to underestimate the workload (I speak from experience...) but if you like what you're studying it isn't too hard to get it all done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Pat2107 wrote: »
    Hey!

I will be applying to the CAO in a couple of weeks and am thinking of putting down arts.

Just wondering wat the course is like and how many hours a week

Thanks!!

What are you going to study? You have a choice of over 30 subjects. I did English, History and Greek and Roman Civilisation in first year and would recommend all of them. Other subjects include Philosophy, Art History, Folklore, German, French, Music, Archaeology and many more I cannot think of. Give us a breakdown of the subjects you want to take and maybe we can help you further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

The social life is atrocious. Because of the size the only people I met through arts were friends of friends of mine from my area, from my school, from rugby etc(and this is fairly common). I met lots of these, some of whom are now my best friends but thats still definitely not a good thing for a course.

I'm now doing a masters in a different discipline however and good god do I appreciate arts. So many people out there have horrific grammar, syntax, structure and just general essay writing/critical thinking skills. As long as you choose subjects within arts that are somewhat essay heavy youll definitely get something out of it in my opinion. The 'harder' subjects like History/Politics/English etc will all give you a more functional real world degree thanks to their heavy work load than something like Music & Drama Studies.

All that and I thoroughly enjoyed the subjects I chose to do for 3 years and have massively increased my knowledge in them.. that could just be my inner geek getting a word in though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

N.B :D

Art History and English is a damn heavy combo! :p

I do like Arts though, I think it's important that you learn how to research and write a good essay if you plan on doing a Masters in anything. Arts gives you LOTS of practice, believe me. :P

Good luck ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭somethingwitty

Hey.. I'll be doing Arts next year too and will hopefully be studying Anglish and Sociology. Does anyone here do them, I'd love some opinions!
    Also, can I study another 1 or 2 subjects with this? How exactly does that work?...
    If so I'm really interested in either Film or Psychology. Or French? I'm not too sure about that bit yet!
    Thanks!
    Also, why do arts people get so much slagging??!!!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Jason2379

I do film studies and it took me by surprise. I dont really like it....Theres so many people who have seen so many films that I've never heard of. You are at a huge advantge if you have seen many "old" films. If not, seriously think about it.

It's not as demanding as some subjects. My assignment this semester was a 500 word review on one of the films on the course, whereas my assignment for geography was 2000 words.

And I dont know why Arts students get such a slagging? Maybe because we're smarter than everyone else :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Also, why do arts people get so much slagging??!!!!:confused:
    I wouldn't generalise about all Arts students that way, but I think there's a perception problem: that Arts is what's left when someone says "I don't want to get a job yet, but I don't want to do hard stuff like Science, Maths or Engineering". Then they find that an Arts degree is a lot of work, so they come here and moan about it! :p

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

run a mile arts imo and from my experience was a very bad course to do and i dropped out in 2nd year,the subjects are boring enough in subjects i liked, the social life is atrocies as someone else said unless you know a good few people going into UCD or you are stayin on campus otherwise its gick.

• Advertisement
Advertisement