Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Major problem with rear diff on hilux surf.

• 14-11-2008 8:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Hi guys ive a bit of a problem with my Hilux Surf 3.0 turbo diesel automatic.
    my rear diff was whining away good.
    so brought it to a Toyota dealer and they said the diff needed to be replaced at nearly €3000
    so i went and got my local mechanic to fix it up for me. it took him a while to find the right diff.
    now heres the problem when i engage the 4wd button the jeep skips and it feels like the wheels are skidding. to stop it i have to stop the jeep and put it into reverse for a couple of meters and then 2wd works grand he reckons its nothing to do with what he did.
    it worked grand before he went at it so what do yea reckon is the problem its now up with the mechanic so i need some info to hit him with it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

Hi guys ive a bit of a problem with my Hilux Surf 3.0 turbo diesel automatic.
    my rear diff was whining away good.
    so brought it to a Toyota dealer and they said the diff needed to be replaced at nearly €3000
    so i went and got my local mechanic to fix it up for me. it took him a while to find the right diff.
    now heres the problem when i engage the 4wd button the jeep skips and it feels like the wheels are skidding. to stop it i have to stop the jeep and put it into reverse for a couple of meters and then 2wd works grand he reckons its nothing to do with what he did.
    it worked grand before he went at it so what do yea reckon is the problem its now up with the mechanic so i need some info to hit him with it.

is this "skipping" when you're driving straight or turning or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

doing it the whole time.
    its up with mechanic now so just need info so he cant bull me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Wrong ratio on the diff he put in maybe ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

dunno about 3.0 hilux surfs, but 4x4's can kind of "scuff" the tyres when turning, for example in tight car parks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I'd be thinking bushy is right.

Sounds like he got the wrong diff.

If the front diff and rear diff are incompatible you will get wind up to a point and then the wheel will skip to release the pressure

• Advertisement

its driving fine in 2wd but when i pushed the 4wd selector it started skipping and skidding the wheels.
    deffo not "scuff" the tyres when turning, for example in tight car parks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

You can't just put a diff in. Did he pre load the bearings?

http://www.differentials.com/install.html

its driving fine in 2wd but when i pushed the 4wd selector it started skipping and skidding the wheels.
    deffo not "scuff" the tyres when turning, for example in tight car parks.
    That is probably because the frint diff is only spinning free and not receiving drive from the transfer box when in 2 wd.

I'dbe fairly confident that the ratio of your old diff and new are different. If you still have your old one you can work it out.
    You can't just put a diff in. Did he pre load the bearings?

http://www.differentials.com/install.html
    I gather it was a 2nd hand diff so pre-loading is not applicable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

slideways wrote: »
    That is probably because the frint diff is only spinning free and not receiving drive from the transfer box when in 2 wd.

I'dbe fairly confident that the ratio of your old diff and new are different. If you still have your old one you can work it out.

If that is the case, which it very well may be, it would be very bad for the garage not to get the right ratio or see if it had a L slip diff. :/

Shocking if they just pulled one out of a similar vehicle without checking the diffs were the same ratio etc :eek:

he had a little bit of trouble finding a diff got one in england after. still no word from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

sound like the wrong diff

post your question on hiluxsurf owners club or elite.co.uk and you will get your answer

for example if the mech. doesn't know his stuff and gets a diff from a uk version or landcruiser the ratios are all different
    and a hilux pick up one has the opposite rotation so your wheels would lock each other out.

the model of your surf is on the plate LN*** so check the model number

look at http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/index.php?doc=87

to identify your truck before getting the parts

got to chat to him today he said that he didnt line up the spline teeth on the axle from the transfer box does that sound right

He possibly didnt line up the Harvey Spicer on the drive shaft and that will cause a vibration...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

got to chat to him today he said that he didnt line up the spline teeth on the axle from the transfer box does that sound right

ya that would sound plausible but has there been damage done to the diff now?

was there a grinding sound?

Advertisement