Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot download torrents

Options
  • 14-11-2008 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

This is doing my head in, I've been struggling with it all evening all to no avail.

As of last Monday evening, I've not been able to download any torrents (for example, the most recent Ubuntu distro). I've tried several different clients and both Win XP and Ubuntu fail to download anything. I've contacted my IP and they've told me they've changed nothing on their side, and the guy I spoke to said that he had no trouble with torrents during the week.

So it's either my PC or my router. I got a new router weeks ago (wireless Belkin G+ MIMO, but my machine is wired to it) but everything has been working fine up until Monday evening. I know next to nothing about port forwarding and uPNP and all that and nothing could've been done to my connection or router on Monday evening without my knowing.

Browsing, email, all that still works fine, it's just torrents. I get different messages depending on the application, but the over-riding error message appears to be 'connection reset by peer'.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Whats your isp?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

barnicles wrote: »
    Whats your isp?

Amocom, small local company in Co.Cork.

Maybe smart are throttling them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it might be a long shot, but did you try checking your torrenting port remotely to make sure there's a clear route?

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

you can use shieldsup to check specific ports or look for open ones in all ports or a port range, so if you find it's closed and can't get it open, just change your client to use a port that is open that isn't being used by anything else and that might just do it. :)

Maybe smart are throttling them?

By smart, do you mean smart telecom? Why would they have effect on my IP?
    vibe666 wrote: »
    it might be a long shot, but did you try checking your torrenting port remotely to make sure there's a clear route?

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

you can use shieldsup to check specific ports or look for open ones in all ports or a port range, so if you find it's closed and can't get it open, just change your client to use a port that is open that isn't being used by anything else and that might just do it. :)

Shieldsup says that all ports are closed, I can't find any open ports, but this was definitely working last weekend. I've tried opening the ports (I use Ubuntu) but it doesn't appear to have made a difference.

I put back up my old router and had the same problem - although on some occasions, the error msg was more along the lines of timing out.

The more I try, the more convinced I am that my IP has done something to me. Since they're denying it, is there any way of proving that traffic is being stopped or anything at their end? Is it possible to browse using the same port that a torrent would be using? Sorry if that's a clueless question?

• Advertisement

By Smart I mean Amocom use Smart for backhaul. Source? Do a speedtest.net test and it will show your ISP. Whats yours?

By Smart I mean Amocom use Smart for backhaul. Source? Do a speedtest.net test and it will show your ISP. Whats yours?

Ah right, yes, I remember that from before. Yeah, it's showing my ISP as Smart. So they're doing something? Is there anyone else that's having similar problems with Smart? They're popular though, right, I would imagine that if anyone else couldn't download torrents, we'd be hearing all about it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

corblimey wrote: »
    Ah right, yes, I remember that from before. Yeah, it's showing my ISP as Smart. So they're doing something? Is there anyone else that's having similar problems with Smart? They're popular though, right, I would imagine that if anyone else couldn't download torrents, we'd be hearing all about it here.

Did you update your firewall or torrent sortware recently.

Did you update your firewall or torrent sortware recently.

Nope, in fact I installed a firewall specifically to see if I could open the ports via that - it didn't so I uninstalled it again. There is a firewall on the router, though, but disabling that didn't appear to do anything so I enabled it again.

And I've tried several different torrent downloaders across Ubuntu and XP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'd say your ISP have blocked it and won't admit to it

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I'd say your ISP have blocked it and won't admit to it

Is there any way to prove this? It's possible that they've done something without realising it or as barnicles suggests, Smart is doing something without telling them. Can I prove to them that traffic through a certain port is being ignored or whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

corblimey wrote: »
    Is there any way to prove this? It's possible that they've done something without realising it or as barnicles suggests, Smart is doing something without telling them. Can I prove to them that traffic through a certain port is being ignored or whatever?

Do you know any other users on your ISP, pay a visit to them and introduce them to the wonderfull world of torrents :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 smch8382

I have the same problem. Just wondering if anyone out there has any more info on this?? Have Amocom blocked torrents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ballyrick

Same here. Connection reset by peer on Amocom

I'm using a Linksys WRT54G. I can use private trackers but don't know how to forward ports. I use Port 80 and the light at the bottom of uTorrent is always yellow.

Off topic, how do I port-forward on that router.?

All public trackers show "connection closed by peer" unless I proxy the tracker communications.

This seems very strange and I hope someone can help me!

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Usually with WISPs everyone is on the same public IP and most ports are closed except for ones used by mail and ssh(22) so customers forwarding ports on their own router doesn't make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ballyrick

But we're having problems with tracker connections. Not actual P2P connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Ballyrick...have you upgraded the firmware on your WRT54? If not, do so. Go to www.dd-wrt.com and you can download the appropriate files AND instructions (which you should follow to the letter!)

Then.....access your router through your browser...the IP will be something like 192.168.1.X (You'll find it by going to a dos prompt and typing "ipconfig/all").

When you get into your router (default login is "root" and password is "admin") click on the Applications & Gaming tab, and you will have several options to enable port forwarding.

E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

:
    exaisle wrote: »
    you will have several options to enable port forwarding.
    Usually with WISPs everyone is on the same public IP and most ports are closed except for ones used by mail and ssh(22) so customers forwarding ports on their own router doesn't make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mhairt

ballyrick wrote: »
    Same here. Connection reset by peer on Amocom

I'm using a Linksys WRT54G. I can use private trackers but don't know how to forward ports. I use Port 80 and the light at the bottom of uTorrent is always yellow.

Off topic, how do I port-forward on that router.?

All public trackers show "connection closed by peer" unless I proxy the tracker communications.

This seems very strange and I hope someone can help me!

Thanks

This link will explain it better than I can
    http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54G/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

already have a P2P discussion megathread, keep the discussion to it lads
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055334444&page=40

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement