Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chivalry - yes or no?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

it's nice to some degree like if someones opens the door for you ect, small gestures, but I really cant stand it if it's over the top, I can pull out my own chair and I dont need anyone to open the car door for me....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i hold doors, give up my seat on the bus if someone looks like they need it more than i do and letting people pass first etc. the persons gender doesn't even come into the equation tbh, it was just the way i was brought up. I don't even think twice about it.

if this counts as chivalry then where's my bitches :pac:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'll hold the door open for anyone I see coming (within reason), male or female. It's just good manners.

^ What he said.

Of course it's only right and proper that a man should let a lady pass first, how else could we admire your lovely bottoms otherwise?

Zaph wrote: »

Of course it's only right and proper that a man should let a lady pass first, how else could we admire your lovely bottoms otherwise?
    :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Kya1976 wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:

You have not a leg to stand on.. pincher! :P

• Advertisement

bahahahahaha I'm not that bad I always ask before I touch someone up inappropriately

bahahahahaha I'm not that bad I always ask before I touch someone up inappropriately

Well then its not inappropriate if they give you permission. ;)

Well then its not inappropriate if they give you permission. ;)
    hehehehe true:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

get a room you two ;)

sam34 wrote: »
    get a room you two ;)
    :eek::eek::eek: dont be bold:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Nuravictus

I think when it comes to manners Irish people are really good. Like when you get off the bus everyone says "Thank You". I went to Sweden & that doesnt happen at all. I thats why Irish people are so loved all over the world is our manners. I hold the door for people behind me & offer my chair to old people when I am on the bus.

:eek::eek::eek: dont be bold:cool:

ahem! pot....kettle...black :D

ahem! pot....kettle...black :D
    I'm not denying being bold;):pac:

Nuravictus wrote: »
    I think when it comes to manners Irish people are really good. Like when you get off the bus everyone says "Thank You". I went to Sweden & that doesnt happen at all. I thats why Irish people are so loved all over the world is our manners. I hold the door for people behind me & offer my chair to old people when I am on the bus.
    I agree swedes are so bloody rude, cant stand them:p:pac:

I agree swedes are so bloody rude, cant stand them:p:pac:

your a Swede :P. Thou I did love other things about Sweden like the Honor System & how nice Stockholm is.

your a Swede :P. Thou I did love other things about Sweden like the Honor System & how nice Stockholm is.
    yup and I'm rude and not very polite so there ya go:p:pac:
    yeah Stockholm sure is lovely

get a room you two ;)

I can't imagine what for :confused:

I can't imagine what for :confused:

the innocence! bless!

yup and I'm rude and not very polite so there ya go:p:pac:
    yeah Stockholm sure is lovely

Well you certainly arent taking this well :P. That was my experience on your metro system. Thou the people I meet & talked to were very cool. I like the tiered drinking system where 26 year olds can stay out to 5am :P. or the Metal Detectors in the Nightclub I went too :).

The best part was went I was asked for ID & said the Irish Government said we werent to bring our Passwords out when we went drinking so therefore I had no ID to prove my age. :cool: I got in :)

Well you certainly arent taking this well :P. That was my experience on your metro system. Thou the people I meet & talked to were very cool. I like the tiered drinking system where 26 year olds can stay out to 5am :P. or the Metal Detectors in the Nightclub I went too :).

The best part was went I was asked for ID & said the Irish Government said we werent to bring our Passwords out when we went drinking so therefore I had no ID to prove my age. :cool: I got in :)
    well I wasn't really joking if you compare swedes to irish people swedes are pretty rude, we dont say please and thank you etc. This is one of the reasons why I love it here in Ireland , people are polite and wont say a bad word about you until your back's turned

• Advertisement

well I wasn't really joking if you compare swedes to irish people swedes are pretty rude, we dont say please and thank you etc. This is one of the reasons why I love it here in Ireland , people are polite and wont say a bad word about you until your back's turned

I hate backstabbing but everyone does it sadly. I would presume on that matter swedes are no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

Thaedydal wrote: »
    That goes back to getting out of a carriage and there could be a considerable drop and you would have a rather full skirt on. So it's not about opening the door but alighting from the vehicle. In a more modern context, I have appreciated it if I am wearing very feminine clothing. Getting out of a car with any sort of a short skit and heels can be awkward as all those horrid pics of celeb show.

Having your date for the evening open the car door, stand blocking anyone's view and over you their hand to steady yourself as you get out of the car can make the difference between doing so elegantly or wobbling and putting far more on show of yourself then you intended.

Again it's context and there is usually a practical reason why.

That's all very nice and Jane Austen-esque. However I'm quite skilled at maintaining my dignity whilst exiting a car, and generally well trained in the area of angling my legs so that they stay where they should anyway :p. Also, I was referring to every-day life, hopping out of the car at the shops etc. rather than to a midnight ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

if you compare swedes to irish people swedes are pretty
    Selective quoting FTW :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Papillon87 wrote: »
    That's all very nice and Jane Austen-esque. However I'm quite skilled at maintaining my dignity whilst exiting a car, and generally well trained in the area of angling my legs so that they stay where they should anyway :p. Also, I was referring to every-day life, hopping out of the car at the shops etc. rather than to a midnight ball.

Every day life when wearing my trousers and boots I am well able do all of the above and would never expect anyone to give me a hand or hold a door or give me prefential treatment, but I won't get snipey with them if they do.

Dates and formal occasions are different.

Papillon87 wrote: »

I have an older platonic friend who does this, and actually I like it. It makes me feel like a lady. And he carrys it off as if it is totally natural.
    His wife told me that this quality was the thing that made him stand out, the night they first met.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Cinful

i wouldnt be so keen on someone say, standing up when i enter the room, or pull out a chair for me, but the opening doors gets me every time.
    This day and age? Sounds like a servant.

Chivalry? How about slaying a dragon? Start a business. Write a program that blows us away! Impress us with talent, skill, mastery, not opening doors! And if we want equality, then we should slay dragons too!

i hold doors, give up my seat on the bus if someone looks like they need it more than i do and letting people pass first etc. the persons gender doesn't even come into the equation tbh, it was just the way i was brought up. I don't even think twice about it.

if this counts as chivalry then where's my bitches :pac:

Wait here and defend yourself from the hoards of chilalry starved biatches, who would steal you from me! :mad:
    I'm off to raid the garden shed for implements that might deflect the crazed mob.
    Maybe I could camoflague you with some old cuttings and twine....hmmm I may be a while.
    In the meantime, Mind yourself k! (((huggs))))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Wait here and defend yourself from the hoards of chilalry starved biatches, who would steal you from me! :mad:
    I'm off to raid the garden shed for implements that might deflect the crazed mob.
    Maybe I could camoflague you with some old cuttings and twine....hmmm I may be a while.
    In the meantime, Mind yourself k! (((huggs))))

See, you were doing really well, until you told us all the details of your plan.

I'm going to go out now and search every bush until i find the camoflagued Creamy Goodness. It'll be a quest!

(if i'm not posting here for a bit it'll be because the Guards didn't belive the "i'm looking for chivalry" reason to be in St Stephens Green park at 2am....)

When I go dancing I always dance old style with ladies. You's never expect it when its rock or techno playing :P and then I throw you over my knee, twirl you arround & lift you up into my arms. Then I push your hair away with a genlte frick & give you a small lips closed kiss on the lips to let you know we need to go some more quiet :) I have to say for the most part you's all melt when it happens :cool: I think woman love chivalry because real chivalry is all about love & respect & thats makes for a happy woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

When I go dancing I always dance old style with ladies. You's never expect it when its rock or techno playing :P and then I throw you over my knee, twirl you arround & lift you up into my arms. Then I push your hair away with a genlte frick & give you a small lips closed kiss on the lips to let you know we need to go some more quiet :) I have to say for the most part you's all melt when it happens :cool: I think woman love chivalry because real chivalry is all about love & respect & thats makes for a happy woman.

Go on.....

Advertisement