Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redbreast 15 year old

Options
  • 14-11-2008 9:49pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭

They have this back in in the Celtic Whiskey shop, but at the extortionate price of €120. I didn't buy it last time due to lack of funds, but now it just seems too expensive.

Does anyone have any bottles of this, and is it really worth €120?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

There's certainly other whiskeys I'd be purchasing before it. There's a couple of threads discussing whiskeys at the minute that I'm taking some recommendations from, might be worth a look :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

I bought it after being very impressed by the Redbreast 12 year old.(35euro) and have to agree that for the price difference it is definitely not worth it. I see it's gone up, was 90 when I bough my last one. Agree that there's far better on offer for that price. Haven't been in for a while but the Bushmills 400th aniversary is pretty nice for 95.

You can get the 12 yr old redbreast for 35 in most supermarkets, it's 5-10euro dearer in the CWS.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

It's hard to justify 120 for the Redbreast 15, although it is a brilliant whiskey. You could have bought it in the Midleton Distillery for 80 euro a few weeks ago, but it's 120 there now.

IDL have put the price of the Redbreast 12 up, so when you see it at 35 euro, it's because they have not sold all their old stock. It will be 40-odd euro everywhere soon.

I always buy in the Celtic Whiskey Shop when I can, but you can get the Bushmills 1608 cheaper in O'Brien's. I think 95 is a bit much for a non-age-statement blend.

The whiskey shop have a new, and very rare, single cask Midleton now. It's very good, but it's 200 euro a bottle. It was blended in the cask.

Midleton very very very rarely do this kind of thing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Brockagh wrote: »
    It's hard to justify 120 for the Redbreast 15, although it is a brilliant whiskey. You could have bought it in the Midleton Distillery for 80 euro a few weeks ago, but it's 120 there now.

IDL have put the price of the Redbreast 12 up, so when you see it at 35 euro, it's because they have not sold all their old stock. It will be 40-odd euro everywhere soon.

Thanks for that - I would have bought some for 80/90 but I didn't have the money then. Now I do have the money but it just doesn't seem worth it. I like redbreast 12 enough and can't see how an extra 3 years will make much difference.
    I always buy in the Celtic Whiskey Shop when I can, but you can get the Bushmills 1608 cheaper in O'Brien's. I think 95 is a bit much for a non-age-statement blend.

I have a bottle of that which I'm keeping, but I'm thinking of buying a few more. After all, it is the centenary. I've heard they are much cheaper in NI (£50 which is about €60 at the moment) and I'll be heading up in a few weeks so might stock up then.
    The whiskey shop have a new, and very rare, single cask Midleton now. It's very good, but it's 200 euro a bottle. It was blended in the cask.

Midleton very very very rarely do this kind of thing.

I've seen that, have you tasted it yet? Seeing as how the standard midleton is €150 there isn't a lot of difference in price.

Hi Johnny

There's quite a difference between the 12 and the 15. I think those few years do add a lot, but just as important, the strength is at 46%abv for the 15 and only 40%abv for the 12. And the 15 is not chill filtered.

I have tasted the Midleton single cask and it's very good. But rarety has more to do with the price than the cost of production. I bought two bottles today.

The Celtic Whiskey Shop is great for rare whiskeys. And the staff are fantastic. That's why I buy there when I can.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I have tasted the Midleton single cask and it's very good. But rarety has more to do with the price than the cost of production. I bought two bottles today.

Just picked some up today - I'm torn between opening it and keeping it for a few years. If it is really as rare as they make it out to be, it might be a good investment. Speaking to the guy in there today, apparently this is an experimental distillation from midleton which they very rarely release. However, when I asked what they did with the other experimental distillations he said they just chuck em into the Jameson bottles, which doesn't sound very promising.

Redbreast 15 available for €100 in Redmonds. Still a little on the expensive side, but worth a taste at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

Just picked some up today - I'm torn between opening it and keeping it for a few years. If it is really as rare as they make it out to be, it might be a good investment. Speaking to the guy in there today, apparently this is an experimental distillation from midleton which they very rarely release. However, when I asked what they did with the other experimental distillations he said they just chuck em into the Jameson bottles, which doesn't sound very promising.

And how would he know!
    Remarks like that are not justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

Hi Johnny

There's quite a difference between the 12 and the 15. I think those few years do add a lot, but just as important, the strength is at 46%abv for the 15 and only 40%abv for the 12. And the 15 is not chill filtered.

The Celtic Whiskey Shop is great for rare whiskeys. And the staff are fantastic. That's why I buy there when I can.

The annoying thing I find about the Celtic Whiskey Shop is the way the bloke at the tasting barrel tries to railroad you into buying whatever whiskey he is obviously getting sales-commission for.

The annoying thing I find about the Celtic Whiskey Shop is the way the bloke at the tasting barrel tries to railroad you into buying whatever whiskey he is obviously getting sales-commission for.

Knowing the guys in the shop, I'm pretty sure they don't get sales commission on bottles. I could be wrong, of course.

• Advertisement

And how would he know!
    Remarks like that are not justified.

It's standard practice in distilleries to put casks that aren't up to standard in huge vattings. That way they don't have to throw out the whiskey and one average cask in 300 is not noticed. I wouldn't see anything wrong with this, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

I'm going to the US next week and I would like to bring over a bottle of Redbreast 12 yr old for a friend. Does anyone know if Dublin airport duty free sell this? It does not appear to be listed on their website.
    Thanks

Dexterm99 wrote: »
    I'm going to the US next week and I would like to bring over a bottle of Redbreast 12 yr old for a friend. Does anyone know if Dublin airport duty free sell this? It does not appear to be listed on their website.
    Thanks

I'm nearly 100% sure they'll have it. I'm pretty sure I've seen it there on a number of occasions.

I'm nearly 100% sure they'll have it. I'm pretty sure I've seen it there on a number of occasions.

Thanks Brockagh

Yeah Dublin Airport actually has a very good Whiskey selection, if they don't have Redbreast rest assured you'll pick up something else pretty good at an excellent price. There's a couple of places that sell booze so check em all out, same price but different selections. I think the best one is right in front of you when you pass security. Sells ciggies, perfumes etc.

nhughes100 wrote: »
    Yeah Dublin Airport actually has a very good Whiskey selection, if they don't have Redbreast rest assured you'll pick up something else pretty good at an excellent price. There's a couple of places that sell booze so check em all out, same price but different selections. I think the best one is right in front of you when you pass security. Sells ciggies, perfumes etc.

Thanks NHughes but I'll disappoint my friend if I bring him anything else than Redbreast!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Dexterm99 wrote: »
    Thanks NHughes but I'll disappoint my friend if I bring him anything else than Redbreast!

I'd suggest ringing the airport - getting through to duty free shouldnt be too difficult - and if they don't have it you can always get it in Dublin, wrap it up good and put it in your "check in" luggage - fluids are allowed through that, just not in hand luggage (if not purchased in Duty free)

love red breast my self - had quite a few mouthfulls of it this weekend, it goes down soooo easy. nice and "vanilla" tasting :)

Or you could get it shipped to the US from the celtic whiskey shop and you won't be charged the vat.

jim o doom wrote: »
    I'd suggest ringing the airport - getting through to duty free shouldnt be too difficult - and if they don't have it you can always get it in Dublin, wrap it up good and put it in your "check in" luggage - fluids are allowed through that, just not in hand luggage (if not purchased in Duty free)

love red breast my self - had quite a few mouthfulls of it this weekend, it goes down soooo easy. nice and "vanilla" tasting :)

Just rang them (1 800 747 747) and they have it!
    Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lushballs

Hiya, I need to purchase a bottle of 15 Year Redbreast Pure Pot Still, Special Edition, requested by a family member. Where can I get this and how much?
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

lushballs wrote: »
    Hiya, I need to purchase a bottle of 15 Year Redbreast Pure Pot Still, Special Edition, requested by a family member. Where can I get this and how much?
    Cheers.

celtic whiskey shop on dawson steet has it for 67e.

http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/-z-product-product-706-context-search_results-page-1.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lushballs

Thx ntlbell ;) Can you buy this in duty free at Dublin Airport when flying back to North America?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Thx ntlbell ;) Can you buy this in duty free at Dublin Airport when flying back to North America?

I'm not sure to be honest.

It's been a long time since i looked around the duty free.

I would imagine so. :)

Yes you can. Or you can buy it at the Celtic Whiskey Shop and get the VAT back.

I don't know how much it costs at the airport, but there's a new whiskey shop at Terminal 2. I think it's an expensive whiskey shop, though, so who knows what they're charging.

Redbreast have now rebranded and 15 year old is now for sale at the more reasonable price of €75 in a spiffing new green bottle and is going to be widely available instead of a small run thing:

http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Redbreast_15_Year_Old_Pure_Pot_Still_Irish_Whiskey-z-product-product-706-context-brand-page-1.htm

Also the description has been changed from Pure Pot Still to Single Pot Still because apparently the American marketing people don't like the phrase Pure Pot Still.

I wonder if the original 15 year old bottles have appreciated in value? The talk is that the first run was the best and the second and current runs are not as good.

Advertisement